Pillars of Eternity II - Beast of Winter Released

Why are you so sure that post game support and dlc are the main reason for poor sales?

I didn't say it was the only reason, but it is a major reason. I've seen the same opinion expressed many times elsewhere.

Support products, not companies.

That's short sighted. I didn't think PoE1 looked that amazing, and I could of waited for a deep sale, but I supported it anyways because I like Obsidian and wanted them to make more games I like in the future. What do you know, they ended up creating Deadfire which is in many ways their greatest RPG yet. It would of never been made if people didn't support the first game at release (in fact Obsidian would be shut down).

I'm not saying to throw money away on a product you don't like, but if you do like the product don't be greedy and hold out 2 years to buy the game at $10. It hurts the developers and their ability to make more great games in the future.

This is especially true for niche developers like Obsidian, which can't weather bad sales like a triple AAA company, and there's no other developer to satisfy their niche.

I didn't say it was the only reason, but it is a major reason. I've seen the same opinion expressed many times elsewhere.

I didn’t say only reason either I said main reason. I would think main reason and major reason would be the same thing.

Anyway even if your scouring every corner of the internet your still only seeing a small portion of the potential customer base. So concluding the major reason from checking threads on the internet may not be inclusive enough to be definitive.

The main reason is probably because the nostalgia wave from the first game is over. Only those passionate about oldschool isometric RtWP CRPGs are left, and not all of that demographic enjoyed the first game.

That's short sighted. I didn't think PoE1 looked that amazing, and I could of waited for a deep sale, but I supported it anyways because I like Obsidian and wanted them to make more games I like in the future. What do you know, they ended up creating Deadfire which is in many ways their greatest RPG yet. It would of never been made if people didn't support the first game at release (in fact Obsidian would be shut down).

I'm not saying to throw money away on a product you don't like, but if you do like the product don't be greedy and hold out 2 years to buy the game at $10. It hurts the developers and their ability to make more great games in the future.

This is especially true for niche developers like Obsidian, which can't weather bad sales like a triple AAA company, and there's no other developer to satisfy their niche.
I don't care about their company. If they release a product that doesn't appeal to me, I will not buy it and vice versa. And If I know I will get fully patched, complete product in two years for less money, you bet I will wait. I look up for myself, they should look up for themselves. If their business strategy hurts them, they need to change it. They need to incentivize me to buy the game at launch, and they are not doing that right now.

I so prefer post-end game content but that tends to always be the hardest. They did it in DAI though so not unheard of it.

Course the problem is with any ending that has many endings you are stuck unless you pick a canon, make all the endings roughly the same and less meaningful, provide for a few options, or not touch on it by making the add on somewhere else.

That being said I would like a DLC that shows some of what happens after you make a decision in the end.

From that survey:

A large number of respondents commented that, while they would not commonly refund/return the base game in order to acquire the Game of the Year (GotY) Edition, they would refrain from purchasing a game at all once DLC of any kind is announced until a GotY or other complete edition is released.

They are aware of the problem, hopefully they fix it.
If they're aware of it, and doing things this way anyway, probably means they don't see it as a problem, or have decided it could even be beneficial. As long as they don't desperately need the immediate cash to keep their company going, then they'll make more money if people play later anyway, assuming those people buy all DLC that is out at the time they buy the game. (I'm assuming people are more likely to buy DLC if it is already out at the time they do their play-through, seems safe to assume.) This, of course, assumes that the price of the game doesn't go down before then, but that's fully within Obsidian's own control.

If they're aware of it, and doing things this way anyway, probably means they don't see it as a problem, or have decided it could even be beneficial. As long as they don't desperately need the immediate cash to keep their company going, then they'll make more money if people play later anyway, assuming those people buy all DLC that is out at the time they buy the game. (I'm assuming people are more likely to buy DLC if it is already out at the time they do their play-through, seems safe to assume.) This, of course, assumes that the price of the game doesn't go down before then, but that's fully within Obsidian's own control.

Yeah, you're right, if they are cool with it then there is no problem.

That being said I would like a DLC that shows some of what happens after you make a decision in the end.
Yep!
The hobbits after defeating Sauron coming home to the Shire and freeing it from Saruman's tyranny.
I want every DLC plot to happen after the main plot.

Back
Top Bottom