Skyrim Avoid the Update?

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
Well, ok, I'll say it. I can't beat the first spider in the first dungeon quest you are sent to that you pick up in Riverwood. I can't beat it even on the easiet difficulty setting.

There. I said it. It's out there. I guess I really suck.

Tip: Once she's down, run back to the arch from where you entered. She can't go through it, so you can avoid her by backpedaling to heal or/and avoid her attack. Archery can help here, so does the 1st level flame spell. Also, drink health potions if she poison you.

Spider from Golden Claw quest offed me few times too MG. Her (?) most dangerous weapon is venom spit so you have to dodge that (there are enough obstacles to hide behind) and than go in with your attacks*. You might be able to get her with just one attack but, if you can't pile up damage fast enough, be prepared to dodge next spit attack and than finish her off.

Ranged worked azarhal but my PC got her successfully (after few trials and errors) with an axe

On the bright side, I can now use Escape to exit menus! YAY!!! :biggrin:

Daniel.

Morning Ladies and Gents..

Firstly, apologies for posting such a nonchalant "don't download the patch" suggestion.

I chose to buy the 360 version of the game and with the consoles once the patch is downloaded, you're stuffed. I actually suggested elsewhere to CM, that if she'd accidentally applied the patch, then for PC owners it was at least merely a simple case of reinstalling or reverting and that it was the console owners who were getting the worst of it. But I completely forgot that as the PC crowd have to contend with the game running through "Steam" with it's auto patching, (sometimes a great thing.. but clearly, not always.) you have your own set of patching challenges.

A small irony here is that while I was bemoaning how downtrodden the console crowd are, the fact is that we're asked when we log in "do you want the patch, yes/no" (at least with the 360 you are) and we can keep saying "no" for as long as we need to.

Of course if you weren't as lucky as me and didn't get a warning in time to avoid saying "yes", ( still can't believe I dodged that bullet. I don't normally dodge this stuff.) then you're still stuffed! :lol:

Actually this wasn't supposed to be the main thrust of this post. But as I've warbled on for too long already I'll post the rest separately below to give your eyes a rest! ;)

Badger

PS: Oh… that Frost Spider? I fed him a few arrows and used the posts as cover.

I just followed a misc quest to "Dragon's Tooth (or was it Dragon's Claw) Crater to "discover it's secret". I fought a Dragon there who was obviously a set piece Dragon as opposed to the ones who wander about and I crippled him, but couldn't kill him.
As you were folks, it was indeed a bug. (You can see how it might have been part of the story though right? With the Dragon thanking you later for sparring it's life, by becoming your companion?)

I had a quest which wouldn't advance the other week. I had to find a magic sword and use it to do..well.. magic stuff. Sadly the game refused to admit I had the sword (Refusing to admit? Bethesda? Nah!!) and the next phase of the quest therefore would not open. Its quest administration bouncer looked me full in the face and growled.. "you ain't got a sword, you ain't comin in!"

When you're not particularly technical, you learn early on to resort to basics first. So if I can't see a picture on my TV, I first check to ensure that A/It is plugged in. B/ It is switched on. C/I have not forgotten to take off my Paddington Bear sleep mask.

Following this logic I double checked my inventory to make sure the sword was still there and then returned to the scene of the quest and rechecked the bodies I'd looted. There on the quest item giver, was not one, not two, but three (count em) identical copies of the same sword and on picking these up the quest progressed to the next bit. :D

So, on the off chance that a similar approach might solve my Dragon problem, I returned to the scene of the crime to find that the Dragon was lying there deader than Elvis and as I walked over he gave up his soul. So definitely a bug, but an "all's well that ends well" bug.

Meanwhile in my "only a little broken" version of the world of "Skyrim", (thanks to my lucky avoidance of the patch of poison) the by now endearing minor buggage continues.

In my dungeoneering, the propensity for dungeon dwellers to come looking for me after your Badger makes with the sniping antics, only to wander off after a while claiming "must have been my imagination" despite the arrow sticking out of the back of their head! Has been expanded on with a seeming inability to see me right in front of their noses, as long as I stand in the right place.

The former I don't think is actually a bug, but sloppy programming. It's great that they come looking for you and cool that if they can't find what made the noise then they eventually give up. But if you have an arrow sticking out of you, you DON'T give up. You never give up! So that MOB should then remain at a high alert setting until you kill him.

The latter I'm not sure about. My sneak skill is pretty high.. 73 or something like that, so it might just be the fact that if I stand still and in shadow, they simply can't see me. It does make for some weird situations though. I've been literally nose to nose with Bandit chiefs with my back to a wall, where you'd think that they'd be able to sense someone was close enough to kiss, even if they couldn't see me!

I can't resist exploiting this stuff sometimes though. :oops: I had one scenario where a pressure plate at a corner would trigger a high speed spiked gate! (I'm sure you've seen them.) With a Bandit campfire in the room just beyond.

Six Bandits were in that room and time and again I shot an arrow and ducked carefully around the corner, chuckling away to myself as the blundering bad guys triggered the trap and ended up impaled. I let the gate take care of five of them, before stepping brazenly into the room and challenging the last guy to a sword fight, even though my Wood Elf doesn't really do melee if he can help it. On some level I felt that this bravado might make up for my outrageous caddishness. :lol: (You decide.)

Badger Out

Last edited:
On some level I felt that this bravado might make up for my outrageous caddishness. :lol: (You decide.)

Definitely! (please continue to update us with the escapades of Badger as and when!) :)

Daniel.

One suggestion on the sword thing unless you tried it and that is unequip it, talk to the guy, then equip and try again. Then reverse and try? Not saying that would work or help, but I have seen that in a few games and swamping the item fixed the bug in them. Worth a try.

Back
Top Bottom