What I've Been Watching: The Catch-All Film Thread

The new IT was very good IMHO. I wouldn'[t call it Scary (no jdr that is not a spoiler); but others would.

IT wasn't a bad movie (oh boy). But if I have to choose between the old and the new one, I'd choose the old, despite its low budget production.
Dunno why, perhaps because I treat Stephen King's books as "enjoyable, quality trash", the clunkiness of the original somehow fits better, than the high-end polish of the new one.
Also Tim Curry. That man is Legend.

I agree. It's rather like how I'd much rather watch the original Star Trek, with wobbly sets and actors chewing the scenery, than the slick and clangorous modern versions with no character.

I have to rant. That movie was advertised like crazy over here as if it's second coming. At the same time actual gems pass by unnoticed just because they didn't invest 90% of the budget into marketing.

I’m sure Ant Man 2 Could have filled the gap. Damn these non-Marvel movies!

Murder on the Orient Express - Wowza.. what a boring movie! I thought some people here said it was good, but I didn't find it very compelling at all. A lot of over-acting and annoying fake accents. Even the ensemble cast couldn't save it for me. 6/10

Winchester - A horror movie "inspired" by true events about a huge mansion built by Sarah Winchester (heiress of the famous gun manufacturer) in 1906 that was supposedly haunted in some way. A lot of silly jump scares but not much else. Don't waste your time. 5/10

I'd give Orient Express an even lower score. Just a cringingly bad movie, IMO.

Tonight I'm going to try Cargo, which has been described as like Train to Busan in the Outback, and very well-reviewed.

Super trooper 2. Seen worse but can't remember when. Actually not that bad just not that good. Yea it was pretty bad. The movie has a cat (no jdr that is not a spoiler).

Didn't watch Cargo - I thought it was on Netflix, but it's not released until May 18th.

Watched the HBO documentary on Elvis, which was actually very interesting.

I watched a movie called the Book of Henry yesterday, simply because ever since Mulholland Drive, I've been a huge Watts fan. It was a pretty entertaining flick, if you enjoy Naomi Watts I think you'd like the movie. For me, it was nice to recognize others in the film, such as the drug enforcement agent from Breaking Bad, and Joe from Halt and Catch Fire. Oh and of course, Sarah Silverman!

Some trivia about Agatha Christie: her original title for And Then There Were None was Ten Little N*ggers. I shit you not. I don't think I've ever watched ANYTHING that was directly based on her stuff, at least not all the way through. I did see a Mario Bava movie that was based on the above mentioned book but it was done in the giallo style and- well, hey, it was Mario Bava who directed so it was worth watching

Speaking of Christie… I really enjoyed this Hercule Poirot tv-series where David Suchet played Poirot: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0094525/

I thought they adapted Christie's work expectionally well. I used to love reading Hercule Poirot novels during the summer holidays and belive that I was thrilled when I discovered that they had actually been filming all poirot novels with the same main actors.

As for this new poirot film... I haven't seen the orient express and I doubt I ever will. What would be the point? They can't ever top Suchet's performance.

My condolences.

I'm after the "retarded" hero original's sequel and am going to watch Hentai Kamen 2 (The Abnormal Crisis).

HK2 is 10/10. Can't wait for HK3. Not gonna talk more about it as noone will watch it as it's not mainstream.

I did go for some Netflix mainstream Cargo.
It's 1000th movie with zombies, yea, I didn't know. If I knew, I wouldn't even try it. Unlike The Girl With All The Gifts and Train to Busan this one adds absolutely nothing new to the genre. I like Freeman generally, but this movie is so boring I couldn't care less what'll happen to him, his wife, his baby and hell everyone else that appeared on screen not zombified already.
A forgettable thriller that isn't thriller, horror that isn't horror, political pamphlet that isn't political nor pamphlet, survival drama that has less survival and drama than mexican soap operas, a film noone really asked for.

Nice australian visuals cannot redeem this fail. Avoid at all costs.

Didn't expect much from Happy Death Day. I knew it's a 1000th Groundhog Day but I haven't seen it for a while (the last was an episode in Dark Matter a year or so ago) so I gave it a shot.
And yea, it's not bad at all - because it adds humor in it. It's sad to see cliches where it's a rotten Hollywood plastic girl who gets a bunchload of second chances, of course a guy she'll have a sort of crush is cute because it's Hollywood and etc etc.
Overall predictable including the twist, it's side details that make it not boring.
Feel free to skippit, but if you need something to watch with friends of variety of tastes pick this one as everyone will have fun.

Better Watch Out is home invasion went wrong. Well that's what it's synopsis suggests but it isn't really.
It is an anatomy of sociopath's mind and deliberately takes a very disturbing route early to describe such mindset combined with practicality. The major twist happens only after about 15-20 minutes in the movie and if you survive that point, you'll respect what this movie will show you.
This gem is not for everyone, especially not Dartlike people who refuse to accept sociopaths exist as they never met any.
If your life is peachy currently and need something to bring you back onto the grund, this is a mustwatch. If not, put it in your movies backlog, it's well worth it.

Last edited:
Deadpool 2 was hillarious, over the top and just plain FUN very cleverly done!! :)

HK2 is 10/10. Can't wait for HK3. Not gonna talk more about it as noone will watch it as it's not mainstream.

I had to Google that…

movie_1467196550.jpg

a792d611711b2acc0af2b7896a7db04f_640.jpg

joxer, are you trying to tell us something? ;)

Of course I am. Watch that movie already instead of deadpool.
And why did you google? Missed my previous posts two years ago?
While looking for unique stuff not seen billion times, stumbled upon news about a certain upcoming movie, searched more:
The sequel is called HK: Hentai Kamen The Abnormal Crisis. According to the movie’s tagline, panties across the word are vanishing. So, it’s up to Hentai Kamen, the pervy superhero who wears women’s underwear on his face, to save the day, the panties, whatever.
http://kotaku.com/japans-perverted-superhero-is-back-1760752105

Somebody, please, smuggle me a copy, ASAP! :D

Don't you worry, once you see Hentai Kamen (I've linked it in one of previous posts), you'll forget about Deadpool and everything similar.

Last edited:
That guy's costume reminds me of what Borat was wearing while on the beach. :p

Sorry, never heard of Borat. Another overrated and overadvertised mainstream rubbish? Sorry... I just avoid hype trailers.

The costume is based on the same costume that appeared in Hentai Kamen manga during it's run 1992-1993.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kyūkyoku!!_Hentai_Kamen

I'm refering to the film: Borat: Cultural Learnings of America for Make Benefit Glorious Nation of Kazakhstan.

edit: As for the magna, I admit my ignorance about it. In general I'm not familiar with the genre at all. :)

Back
Top Bottom