The "I Just Bought" thread

I just bought another batch of capsules for my new Nespresso machine (that I got as a birthday present):
nespresso800600.jpg

Most of my friends bought the same machine within 6 months. A Nespresso machine is a streamlined Espresso machine, loaded with small capsules filled with espresso coffee. To get an espresso you just need to put a capsule in a hole and push a button. Once in awhile you have to open a drawer on the machine and toss out the used capsules. It's very easy and quick to make several cups and there are 16 official tastes and 3 seasonal variations. I have started to get my favorites. Some of these are so good that I rarely buy espresso "out there" anymore.

Coming soon for me …

dell-m11x-650x292.jpg

Just to pre-empt ...
- I know that price-wise this isn't a bargain in terms of price to performance ratio
- But when you look at my 'netbook gamer' articles and think I have another dozen in progress ... it is clear that my netbook comes *everywhere* with me.
- So a 'netbook ++' is a great idea for me, and the ION netbooks sell for just a bit less and their performance is much lower.

Last edited:
A 1.5TB hard drive for troublefree (at least as troublefree as possible) upgrading tol Win7.

A Steelseries mousepad (glass) - I love those. My previous one shattered.

A Steelseries mousepad (glass) - I love those. My previous one shattered.
Are those worth the money?
There are some pretty expensive Steelseries mousepads here,some even cost €40.

My only hassle with one is that I have to wash it off once in awhile. Sweat and dust create a bad surface, but once I wash it off it's really smooth and excellent for my mx518

My only hassle with one is that I have to wash it off once in awhile. Sweat and dust create a bad surface, but once I wash it off it's really smooth and excellent for my mx518
Aye. Steelseries glass + Mx518 = great.

Yesterday a new shopping centre opened in my town.

I bought :

- game "So Blonde" for 5 Euros
- Peter Gabriel's newest CD (special edition) for 20 Euros
- Viva la vida and prospects march by Coldplay for 9 Euros
- Eric Clapton & Steve Winwood Live for 7 Euros.

Because they were 20% cheaper that day. ;)

"The Void" for 2,99 Euros (Huh ???)
"Worldshift" Collector's Edition for 4,99 Euros.

Is it true that Worldshift is a pure online game in the sense that it can't be played without an online connection ?

Yesterday a new shopping centre opened in my town.

I bought :
- Viva la vida and prospects march by Coldplay for 9 Euros

I really like Viva la Vida, but I also hear that it's a departure from their usual style. Not being a Coldplay veteran myself, how do you feel it compares to their other stuff?

"The Void" for 2,99 Euros (Huh ???)
"Worldshift" Collector's Edition for 4,99 Euros.

Is it true that Worldshift is a pure online game in the sense that it can't be played without an online connection ?

Don't know about Worldshift.

The Void sounds like something for you. PC Games review.

I really like Viva la Vida, but I also hear that it's a departure from their usual style. Not being a Coldplay veteran myself, how do you feel it compares to their other stuff?

I'm sorry, but I can't say, because this is my (first) second album by them. My first one is their "Left…" live album, originally the official MP3 version, then the CD version bought via ebay, with imho superior sound quality over the MP3 files. But that's just my subjective opinion.

I love the live album indeed, but the studio versions of their songs is something I must get used to.

The next on my Coldplay shopping list is something (either single or lp) that contains their song "Fix You", which I absolutely adore, live version from the Left album.

@Gorath: Thanks, but I had already anticipated that. I had already read some bits about it. That's why I bought The Void. Otherwise I wouldn't have taken notice of it.

Update : Recently bought their X&Y.

Well, m proposition is the following : If X&Y is rather like their "usual style" if music, then "Viva la vida" is indeed an departure.

VLV has rather a tendency towards progrock, imho, whereas X&Y rather sounds like "mainstream" to me.

From an artistical point of view, X&Y has nothing really outstanding, in terms of music and articstic use of it,
but VLV instead has. The sounds are influenced by Brian Eno, of which I learned to know the early "Enossifications" from the 1974 album "The lamb lies down on broadway" by Genesis. I don't know much about him, ut he seems to have a knack of adding some kind of "sound style" of works. Coldplay profited from that.

Having expected a similar sound like in VLV in X&Y, I was kind of disappointed. The album sounds rather more like being played almost exclusively with guitars, and only very, very few exceptions to that, mostly organ ("Fix you").

In stark contrast, VLV utilized a great, imho huge variety of sounds, and of instruments, too. Or so it appears to me, subjectively.

This is why I like VLV much more,. I like more complex (kinds of) sounds anyway.

I just got "Parachutes", their first cd, and I have to say that after a couple weeks it still has failed to grow on me.

I'm getting more into atmospheric sounding stuff, I mean, it doesnt have to be flat out trippy but give the music a little depth w/ it. That's where Viva la Vida shines, it has enough to keep me listening. I think that it will be my last Coldplay purchase. Unless they decide to "depart" more often

I heard they wanted to include Brian Eno for the next album again. Which might meet our tastes, then. ;)

I just ordered a Kindle.

My bookshelves are full. I don't like to read stuff on my computer. I like to read in bed, and the laptop is still unwieldy and the wrong shape for that. Since e-book readers have been around for a while now, I figured they've got the kinks out, and to be on the safe side, I went with the "reference" model. It should arrive in another few days.

I did consider an iPad as well, since it has the right form factor and would also work for reading books, but in the end I decided against it. It's pricier, the battery life is nowhere near as good, it won't work properly in sunlight, and between my computer and my phone, I don't really need all the other stuff it offers.

Back
Top Bottom