Wizardry: Labyrinth of Lost Souls - Releasing May 29th

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
Wizardry: Labyrinth of Lost Souls will release on Steam May 29th.

An old-school challenge in a crisp and colorful package, Wizardry: Labyrinth of Lost Souls revitalizes the time-honored formula of the original dungeon crawler series with modernized visuals and sound.

Choose each of your six team members' class, race, gender, and moral alignment, then delve into one of several dungeons near the central town hub. Advance with caution -- monsters are vicious, deadly, and attack in packs. Plan each expedition carefully, stay focused on your objectives, and know when to retreat to the surface.

In between expeditions, chat with the locals, pick up new quests, pray for guidance at the temple, go bargain-hunting for new/rare equipment, and more. With patience, skill, and careful planning, your party will rise from a gang of paupers to a mighty force.
The magic torches are lit, the monsters are ravenous, and the kingdom is waiting for a new hero. Enter the world of Wizardry: Labyrinth of Lost Souls and experience a classic adventure reborn.

KEY FEATURES
Your Party, Your Way
Choose from eight classes and five races to build a six-person team with diverse but complimentary skill sets. Change their classes in mid-adventure to fit your needs, or focus on leveling up their primary class to earn bonus skills for the party's benefit.

So Beautiful and So Dangerous
Tangle with a menagerie of over 100 distinctive monsters, from the traditional to the bizarre, all drawn by famed series illustrator Jun Suemi. The game also features character illustrations by renowned commercial artist Yuki Hayabusa.

Conquer the Dungeons
Every step through the underworld is fraught with danger, and one wrong move can end your adventure. But if you have the grit to withstand what the dungeons throw at you, both you and your party will gain enough experience to stroll through them like you own them.

Wizardry's Rebirth on PC
The PC remaster of this classic originally released for PlayStation 3 features English and Japanese text with the original Japanese voiceovers, high-resolution graphics, and a brand new Turbo Mode to make exploring the game's massive dungeons a breeze. All story DLC is included, and players can download the Growth Fruit DLC for free to give themselves a boost when creating characters.
Thanks Couchpotato!

More information.

This was OK when it launched on PS3 about 9 or so years back, and quite detailed in the way that only the Japs seem to make their party-based dungeon crawlers.

I *think* I enjoyed it more than Wizardry Forsaken Land on PS2, but I gave up around half way through when some of the random "instant death" stuff annoyed me too much. It also became very repetative. If anything, it's main fault is that it doesn't really do anything you haven't seen before in others of the genre, so it felt rather bland. In 2009 on PS3, it effectively had no competition, so that was just fine. In 2019 on PC with many other games available…

Much as I want to say "this'll be great", in truth, the formula has probably been done better by more recent releases such as Labyrinth of Refrain or Stranger of Sword City. I haven't tried Mary Skelter yet, but I'd put Wizardry:Lost Souls significantly above "The Lost Child" which I found to be quite dull (maybe I didn't give it enough time).

Is this <strike>furstrating</strike> complete with no automap I assume?

Oh an it requires DX11 graphics for its 10 year old ps3 age!

When did Wizardry become anime? I was an avid Wizardry fan but must have missed the train 10 years ago!

Bring back the brand in an updated tactical CRPG like D:OS or Pathfinder: Kingmaker!

When did Wizardry become anime? I was an avid Wizardry fan but must have missed the train 10 years ago!

Bring back the brand in an updated tactical CRPG like D:OS or Pathfinder: Kingmaker!

Not really comfortable with this myself, maybe a choice of non anime characters at the start would help.

Ahhh Wizardry the game that made me fall in love with computer gaming. My stupid brother got my party killed when they were lvl 9. This was before I learned the cheat to restore an old game.

Does this game play anything like Wizardry VIII ?

Last edited:
I prefer the Western version of Wizardry. Remember playing the first Wizardry game on an Apple II, such a great game for the time.

When Japan stole - er purchased - the ip.

This is not true. How dare you!

It was already stolen when the Japanese company bought it. The sellers even sold it to themselves as as numbered company before they did that.

It should also be remembered that Wizardry itself is a rip-off of Ubliette a Plato game. That version might have been called Sorcery and the creators have accused Werdna and Trebor of stealing the source code (remember kids, don't let every CS major in college see your source code unencrypted).

However, if you look at their port of Ubliette tp PC that was done 4 years later, you'll see that Werdna and Trebor were real geniuses.

Last edited:

Already answered but yes it's because the IP was bought by a Japanese developer.
Ultimately, a Japanese company called Gamepot bought the rights to the series from the ashes. I read an account of an interview in which Gamepot's president said he believes the company can create new Wizardry games, but re-releasing Wizardry 1-5 may be a problem because the spell names are trademarked--in English (not in Japanese). Evidently they don't think they're bound by Sir Tech's original deal with Greenberg. With Gamepot safely tucked away in Japan, they couldn't be sued by Greenberg in New York if they didn't release games in the United States. This doesn't explain Wizardry: Tale of the Forsaken Land, though. With the release of Wizardry Online, however, it appears that the intellectual property cases are over due to settlements in the bankruptcy or other cases.
Source- https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/970796-wizardry-seimei-no-kusabi/69788648

Sirtek did not own Wizardry, they licensed it from Robert Woodhead and Andrew Greenberg. When Sirtek went bankrupt in the early 90's they sold the IP to Sirtek Canada (themselves) for $50k then moved there to continue on Wizardry 8.

Andrew was suing them for years and the case set some interesting legal precedent that is still reference.

The licensing itself is interesting because software as copyright in the first place was still in it's infancy in 1981 with a noteworthy groups trying to fight it and keep all software public domain. They failed of course but there is still debate over what is property: the code or the look and feel.

Robert went to Japan to promote Wizardry for NES in the late 80's I think and got mobbed by groupies (of the wrong type) - nerd culture was not the big thing it is now. He claims that with his company AnimEgo that he created the Anime market in the US and it really seems he wants to put Wizardry behind him after the legal dispute with his former friends and business partners, Sirtek.

Greenberg and Woodhead sued in New York at the release of Wizardry 8 regarding the sale of the company claiming that it was worth $150k based on themselves being "experts" of the product and not the $50k the third party evaluated at. The judge ruled the latter and awarded them the $39k that was left in escrow.

I can't figure out why they didn't demand they owned the IP as I would think the acceptance of the settlement would mean they gave up their rights.

To give some idea of Robert's obsession with Anime consider his kicktstarter to bring Bubble Crisis to Blu Ray

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/madoverlord/bubblegum-crisis-ultimate-edition-blu-ray-set

Same here, not a big fan of the anime :(

I know they're similar, but this looks a lot more like an Elminage game than a Wizardry game. Elminage is balanced and plays a lot different. I suspect anyone that isn't a fan of the Elminage series won't like this new "Wizardry."

Back
Top Bottom