Queen's Wish - Released

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Spiderweb's new RPG Queen's Wish: The Conqueror has been released:

Queen's Wish: The Conqueror

You are royalty of the mighty empire of Haven! Your mother the Queen rules, while you enjoy a life of sheltered luxury. Then, one morning, you wake up to find yourself banished to your Empire's lost colony. You mother has declared your childhood at an end. Your mission? Prove yourself by reconquering Haven's rebellious vassals, or don't bother to come home.

At last, you have been given wealth, magic, soldiers. The Queen thinks you will submit and join the family business. Now that you have freedom and power, you might have other ideas …

Queen's Wish: The Conquerer is a epic, indie fantasy role-playing adventure. Wander free through an enormous world, sink into a fascinating story full of surprises and interesting decisions, and use your cunning to outwit a multitude of dungeons and foes. In this open-ended adventure, you can build an Empire or free the oppressed. Serve the Queen or rebel. Fight or use diplomacy. Build fortresses, smith enchanted blades and armor, and deal with nagging relatives!

Queen's Wish: The Conquerer features:
  • Epic fantasy adventure with over 50 hours of gameplay.
  • Open-ended story in a variety of mysterious lands, featuring many choices, paths and endings. Lots of replay value.
  • Suspenseful tactical combat. Select from fifty different abilities. Build and rebuild your warriors to face rapidly changing foes.
  • Explore (and conquer) an enormous outdoors and a huge variety of dungeons and enemy fortresses.
  • Gain strength with a unique fortress system. Build and equip fortresses, making your warriors stronger in a wide variety of ways.
  • Not just orcs and elves. Features the unforgettable races and characters that make Spiderweb Software adventures unique.
  • Over 100 side quests and hundreds of magical artifacts to hunt for.
Enjoy a new adventure from Spiderweb Software, now celebrating 25 years of making fine indie fantasy role-playing goodness.
More information.

Ha, well, I've bought pretty much every game he's ever made, and I don't think I've finished a single one of them.

I will buy this since I have a great respect for him and frankly, it does look a LITTLE better than the others.

I'll definitely buy this one. I just can't promise that I'll buy the two identical sequels that Spiderweb will inevitably come out with.

50 hrs for most, 100 hrs for me, perfect. The finished project has me excited.

Very disappointed as backer - have not received the game yet, while the game is released on both Steam and GoG.

Moreover the release price is cheaper than even the lowest tier in the Kickstarter. At least they should have informed backers of the reduced release price so we can get it quicker and cheaper on release instead!

Very disappointed as backer - have not received the game yet, while the game is released on both Steam and GoG.

Moreover the release price is cheaper than even the lowest tier in the Kickstarter. At least they should have informed backers of the reduced release price so we can get it quicker and cheaper on release instead!

That is the first time I've seen any developer do that. I really like Jeff's games, but that is really poor PR. Glad I did not back this one. I did buy it for the purchase price, though, as its about 25% less then what most of his previous new releases have been.

Ouch yeah, that's not nice, releasing the game at a price point lower than the lowest tier on the kick starter project. I've not received my key either yet, not that I would play on the first day but again, it isn't a nice way to thank those that sponsored your project. Quite disappointing, in fact.

To be fair, Kickstarter is not a pre-order shop. It's a place people can support a project, to see it brought to reality. It's custom for game developers to offer a copy of the game to supporters, but you shouldn't see it just as a pre-order. It's a contribution as well.

I didn't back the game at the time, because I knew the game would be done anyway (the author can't afford to take more than 18 monts without releasing a new game, check his blog) and any graphical improvements would the marginal at best, so I didn't felt the need to contribute for that.

But I just bought the game on STEAM and don't regret it. It's what I expected. And this is my contribution for his games.

have not received the game yet, while the game is released on both Steam and GoG.

I've not received my key either yet

That is both a bummer and really weird. I've never been in a situation where I'm awaiting a key before, how does that work, as in, who's supposed to be sending you the key? Vogel himself or a contractor or Steam or what?

To be fair, Kickstarter is not a pre-order shop. It's a place people can support a project, to see it brought to reality. It's custom for game developers to offer a copy of the game to supporters, but you shouldn't see it just as a pre-order. It's a contribution as well.

I didn't back the game at the time, because I knew the game would be done anyway (the author can't afford to take more than 18 monts without releasing a new game, check his blog) and any graphical improvements would the marginal at best, so I didn't felt the need to contribute for that.

But I just bought the game on STEAM and don't regret it. It's what I expected. And this is my contribution for his games.

Its not purely a contribution though. Its simple good business to treat those that contribute $ during the development process well.

Jeff does have a certain legendary status in his mind so this doesn't surprise me. Its just a bit sad for those that didn't at least get a key immediately on release. It would have taken extremely limited effort.

On a side note, a friend just got her key's two hours ago. So they are coming.

Yes, everyone who's mentioned a lack of a key on RPGcodex's Queen's Wish thread has said they have now received their keys.

While it's kind-of a scandal that the key waiters had to wait a few hours longer than new customers, receiving the keys on the date promised is what has happened.

While I completely agree with your statement, I still think its bad PR. Obviously SpoonFULL is a fan of Spiderweb games, or he wouldn't have backed. He's probably part of the core audience and he feels understandably dissapointed. That shows some lack of savvy on the developer's part.
That said I'm sure it will be a good game. I think Geneforge is one of the greatest RPGs of its time, and would surely make any top 100 rpg list I'd make. I also think if you play any one part of the Avernum Quintet or the Avadon Trilogy, that you will also find those to be very good games (if you can stomache the sound and graphics) and I expect Queen's Wish will be very good as well.

I did receive my key a few hours ago, so at least I did get it. I still find it somewhat annoying, but then again I don't play games on the day they release, so I'll keep my complaints to a minimum.

While it's only 3 Euros or so cheaper on steam now I am not a fan either. If you take the "risk" you should be rewarded for that. If you really want to support it in a big way you can go for tiers which obviously are only for showing support (like the letter or redemption).

Anyways, looking forward to playing it again. While I had access to it before I waited for release to really give it a full go. Though full is relative as I'll be gone during the next couple of days...

Thank you for your responses.

I have got the key now through an email link to Humble, which offers a drm-free download. I have also completed my collection of the Avernum remakes (had the original trilogy) which are discounted at both Humble and GoG.

Looking forward to playing it Queen's Wish, but still a bit disappointed by the lower release price.

Apparently, the character system is completely dumbed down in comparison to the older games.
If I can't play around with builds, I have zero interest in it.

Back
Top Bottom