BioWare - James Ohlen talks about Game Design

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Farflame spotted an article about good game design at Gameindustry.biz featuring Bioware's James Ohlen:

Bioware: Humility and compromise are key to good game design

At Digital Dragons, Bioware design director James Ohlen tackled the differences between the "dream" of game development, and the practical reality

In a talk at Digital Dragons today, Bioware's James Ohlen championed humility, empathy and a willingness to compromise as key attributes for game designers - both at Bioware, and in the games industry as a whole.

Ohlen, who is design director at Bioware, addressed what he believes is a mismatch between the way young designers are educated and trained, and the working environments they encounter when they enter the industry proper. "The way think about [being a designer], the way you dream about it, is probably you being the vision holder, the creative director," he said. "The person calling the final shots."

[...]
More information.

Back in my day, honesty and vision were the things that mattered. Look at this: "The designer's job is not to ensure that their own ideas make it into the game, Ohlen said, but that only the best ideas do, regardless of their source." And here lies the problem: design by committee :\

And this is on an RPG, where we're probably not even talking too much about sidequests, which is where compromise (in quality and quantity) really is required, I imagine.

Think of all the best games in their respective genres. And tell their design was done humbly and with compromises. Doom? Deus Ex? Fallout? Planescape Torment? MCA was so not humble he was nearly fired for it!

Without Muzuka and Zhechyk it's not the same company.

neo-Bioware is SJW haven.

neo-Bioware is SJW haven.

I don't give a damn if the games are "SJW" or not as long as I enjoy them. I haven't since about NWN2 though.

*implying that SJW-ness can be enjoyed*

fwC7G0d.gif

Luj, of course games can be enjoyed in spite of or even because of different agendas. Although to me, Bioware games hardly counts as SJW.

To me that is someone who pushes an agenda pretty much because it's fashion and not because they actually care. What in ME or DA would you consider SJW?

I'm sorry to be another negative nancy - but as much as I like certain Bioware games, I don't think listening to them as an aspiring game designer would be my first choice.

Although to me, Bioware games hardly counts as SJW.

Well, I'm not sure how to respond to that.

What are docs founders doing these days? Last I heard Zeschuk is drinking beer all day for a living ( woohoo!), but Muzyka kind of dropped of the grid entirely.

Well, I'm not sure how to respond to that.

Well, you could start with your definition of SJW? For me SJW stands for people that take offense for imagined discriminations on others behalf without much sense behind it. Like if I would say I prefer to wear white rather than black clothes a proper SJW would call me a racist pig.

Back
Top Bottom