EA - 9.3 Million Registered Origin Users

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
EA reports that in their 3rd fiscal quarter (which is the forurth quarter of 2011) they had 9.3 million registered users for Origin and 1.7 million susbscribers for TOR. The report contains a lot of other information, so if you are into that check it out here.
Thanks Countchocula
More information.

Notice how quickly EA amassed those 9.3 Million Origin Users when there are just over 10 Million Battlefield 3 sales...{which requires Origin to play ~ SWTOR does not}

Thats one way to get people to use your service, and I wouldn't be surprised to see that number jump to 15-17 Million users come March 6th when Mass Effect 3 is released.

Its one thing to claim a service is great, but when its being forced on the consumer to play the latest games...not so much!

So this is then an implicite statistic telling us how many people have actually bought Origin-dependent games ?

Does this also mean that other statistics are wrong ? And : How easy would it be to play a battlefield game which needs Origins without Origins ? I mean - to crack it ? Because if the sales were higher than the number of Origin-users, then this would mean - at least that's how I interpret it - that a number might have cracked it ...

And regarding SW:TOR : No wonder - Star Wars is still a *huge* brand !

i had to get an origin account for crysis 2 but I've never bought anything using origin's storefront. I have steam, origin, impulse and gog dowloader. I try to buy everything on steam because that's where 99% of my games are. I don't want to keep switching clients to play different games.

It really has nothing to do with preference. Just steam was here first and I already have a huge library of games with them.

Does this figure include anyone who registered for the SWTOR beta, even if they never purchased any EA game?

Notice how quickly EA amassed those 9.3 Million Origin Users when there are just over 10 Million Battlefield 3 sales…{which requires Origin to play ~ SWTOR does not}

Xbox version of EA games don't use Origin. It's possible to link PS3 games to Origin, but I don't know if it is required to play.

Also, SWTOR players are counted, because all EA accounts are Origin accounts. This also include BioWare Social Network accounts too.

This also includes everyone who had an EA or Bioware account or bought a PC game from EA online store prior to Origin's debut.

This also includes everyone who had an EA or Bioware account or bought a PC game from EA online store prior to Origin's debut.

Yep. From what I understand my old battlefield 2142 account (which I only played for about a week) counts as an origin account. They are just trying to make it seem like "everyone is doing it so you should too." But I'll never use origin.

Pretty sure you have to have an origin account to play tOR, which means 1.7 of those 9.3 are tOR and rest are probably Battlefield.
Will I require an Origin account in addition to a SWTOR account?
Yes, you will require an active Origin account in addition to a Star Wars: The Old Republic account. You can create a new Origin account by going to the Origin Account Registration page, entering your email address in the appropriate space and clicking “Start my EA Profile.” This will take you to a screen where you can create your EA Master ID and set your password. You can also start a new Origin account by logging in with either your Facebook or PlayStation Network accounts, or by downloading and running the Origin client for the first time.
Star Wars the Old Republic FAQ

A much better question is how many of these subscribers were forced to subscribe, 99%.

I think these numbers can be misleading and in opposite directions. They sound bigger than they really are considering that these new users don't even nescessarily use a PC for gaming - or at all for that matter. Even taken at face value though they also belie how massive the user base will inevitably become over the next year to two - just considering EA published titles.

Yep. From what I understand my old battlefield 2142 account (which I only played for about a week) counts as an origin account. They are just trying to make it seem like "everyone is doing it so you should too." But I'll never use origin.

Hah my coworker was complaining about Origin today - every time she plays the Sims 3 the update software whines at her to install Origin. Considering that title alone sold 4.5 PC copies by january 2010 and continues to pull in revenue by pumping out expansion packs. Also consider all those users who downloaded the KOA:Registering demo for their consoles and registered to get those free bonus items. My roomate is now a registered Origin user and doesn't own a PC (granted you can play games on a mac just fine, but I don't think a 6 year old portable counts as a likely platform for future purchases).

No they're not forcing people to actually complete an Origin registration in any case I saw myself, but they're casting a wide net and pulling in plenty of people who aren't just unlikely to purchase products through it but quite a few who probably couldn't use almost any of them if they wanted to.

It just seems that 9.3 million registered users is pretty underwhelming considering the sales totals for the Sims 3, Battlefield, and their other large sellers which encourage frequent updates (and so also include frequent reminders to install and register Origin if your profile information is not complete enough to count). The statement about the old-as-hell battlefield account being rolled into Origin also makes me wonder how many of those registered users actually use it as opposed to begrudgingly clicked "ok" or "accept" as it told them that's what they were now.

Of course the sheer size of EA and its best-selling titles (the Sims series in total has sold something like 150 units between the main titles, expansions and the themed stuff packs) and the battlefield sieries is not rediculously far behind that with units-sold tacking less out of proportion with individual purchasers. Assuming people don't suddenly decide that they're not addicted to the Sims or Battlefield games then they probably will have something approaching the actively purchasing user base of Steam in about 2 years.

Until they actually get out enough of their own new products to start drawing in the kinds of users publishers care about (the ones who bought games AFTER becoming registered users) they've got to make it sound like they might have more of those than they do to build up a library of 3rd party titles. If they take too long developing this content library and growing a comparable active user base (considering an inactive one sucks for multiplayer games or games with significant online components as EA believes all games should have) then it is going to get a longer lasting reputation as the barely second-tier option to steam for publishers and gamers.

Even retail games too. My daughter got her EA account automatically converted to Origin for her Sims 2 & 3 retail games, though she had registered online and had used the EADM (EA Download Manager) before for some free addons.

Its one thing to claim a service is great, but when its being forced on the consumer to play the latest games…not so much!

Exactly. Once you make something compulsory "attendance" statistics become meaningless.

I guess I'm being counted even though I have never touched Origin since I have a Bioware Social account because of modding for Dragon Age: Oeigins.

I guess I'm being counted even though I have never touched Origin since I have a Bioware Social account because of modding for Dragon Age: Oeigins.

Haha ok so I checked some of the email adresses I used way back in the day and yeah. I'm 3 registered Origin users from when I signed up for the bioware social thing when dragon age origins came out for modding and can't access the email adress I used since it was my old student one, another from when I registered simcity 4 through the link from its installer so I could get, and one from ending up just creating a new account to get the KOA:R demo bonus items.

The last one was particularly stupid because it was the result them locking the password reset option on a large swath of older EA accounts because they were possibly compromised. Of course the incredibly accurate and helpful error message did not say anything to this effect and instead suggested a course of action that would guarantee it wouldn't be fixed as long as you kept following it:

"Oooops! Our bad!
We're sorry, but we are currently experiencing some technical difficulties and are unable to handle your request.
Please try again later."

Rather than wait the upwards of 9 days it can potentially take the Origin customer service staff to get around changing the "oops" flag on your account- I thought "no you get the hotmail address I use to register for sites I never fully trusted like RPGCodex and chat roulette." So yeah my "active" account I will use for registering KOA and Mass Effect 3 will only be ever be used to register them when I've managed to find a satisfactorily unprofitable distribution channel to buy it from and never for Origin store purchase if I can help it. Also contemplating waiting for summer sales since I bet a heavily discounted physical copy off a large retailer such as Amazon makes them less money than a digital delivery from their own store.

^ This. They consolidated every EA account (or EA and then later "EA Master" account as they used to call it, if I remember correctly) into Origin accounts.
Battlefield (3) and TOR and let's not forget about Dragon Age which also required an EA account for some of the community/DLC features etc. surely make up a major part of the 9.3 million accounts but basically anyone who ever registered an EA account now has an Origin account.

Also, to clear up a common misconception: You don't need the Origin client to have an Origin account. For example, anyone who has bought SWTOR is required to create an Origin account to be able to play SWTOR but you do not need the Origin client to play (unless you have bought the game through the Origin client).

......Also, to clear up a common misconception: You don't need the Origin client to have an Origin account. For example, anyone who has bought SWTOR is required to create an Origin account to be able to play SWTOR but you do not need the Origin client to play (unless you have bought the game through the Origin client).
Thanks for the clarification Moriendor.

I've been holding out getting tOR (due to ea) but now starting to see the price drop and not being forced to run the client. I'd considering getting it from somewhere other than origin client.

It almost sounds like they will merge them anyway. Anyone know, do I need to both make my accounts similarly use the same email or should I try to use the same named accounts as well?

Thanks for the clarification Moriendor.

I've been holding out getting tOR (due to ea) but now starting to see the price drop and not being forced to run the client. I'd considering getting it from somewhere other than origin client.

It almost sounds like they will merge them anyway. Anyone know, do I need to both make my accounts similarly use the same email or should I try to use the same named accounts as well?

They didn't automatically merge any of the old accounts I had lost access to due to password-reset issues (related to past incidents of servers being compromised) or some of the older accounts I had simply forgotten about. If you have an active account you use for an EA subsidiary game like Mass Effect seris stuff or whatever I suggest you use that one.

Technically it might be a TOS violation to create multiple accounts - and definitely is if you post from both of them to forums ever. You wouldn't want to be perma-banned from playing your games because of something like that so if there is one you actually use and have access to - use the email address and password from that if it will let you and it should simply update that one. This is one reason that their auto-conversion to Origin accounts might be worrying depending on how they treat multiple-account users (those who are by accident like most and those who are because 9 days is too long to wait to play the games you own due to their shoddy security practices.)

If you already have two different accounts for two different products, they will appear on the 'Other Identities' section of your profile page. Only one active account/password will be available, however.

Here:
https://www.ea.com/profile

That happened to me, but I had to reset my password several times.

Back
Top Bottom