The TV Series discussion thread

Dr. Who is by definition irreverent, crazy things happen and that's basically the point of the show. Westworld is supposed to be a serious 'what could happen if' show, so to me things have to make sense (once you assume the concept of the premise). The whole lab technicians storyline was so stupid, every episode I had to force myself to continue watching, until I just couldn't anymore.

It might have made sense if you had actually bothered to watch it. :)

Anyways, I get that some people simply prefer lighter fare like Dr Who. For the record, I used to be quite a Dr Who fan myself.

Anyways, I get that some people simply prefer lighter fare like Dr Who. For the record, I used to be quite a Dr Who fan myself.
And some people prefer both. Changing stuff up keeps everything fresh

Joxer, tss tss. Black mirror is *awesome*. Think hotel Beau sejour is Belgian, but not on our Netflix :( Try code 37, Belgian detective serie on sex crimes. I'm enjoying it.

I stopped the marvel stuff with Daredevil season 2. Got really bored of the American hero stuff. Maybe iron first is better, or the upcoming defenders. I might never know

Also watching latest season of Sherlock and GoT.

Ah, yes. And can't wait for
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/40718091

I loved Futurama. Can't wait for the fantasy genre to get the same treatment. Making lovingly fun of it's cliches and tropes

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

I started watching Westworld, but hated the writing, specially the storyline with the lab guys and the super droid. First episode when that thing started I frowned and smirked. Next episode I face palmed. Next episode I cried and kicked my bed. Abandoned it then as I was fearing for my sanity if I watched another episode.

There is Black Mirror if you haven't watched it.

Westworld looks like it's written by amateurs. Do any of the writers have professional screenwriting credits?

Think hotel Beau sejour is Belgian, but not on our Netflix :( Try code 37, Belgian detective serie on sex crimes. I'm enjoying it.
Dunno about HBS, IIRC the languge is not french. But I did already recommend superb belgian series Ennemi Public in this thread.

About Code 37 I thought it's just a certain forgettable movie, didn't know series exist, checked on imdb and they say it's not lousy as the movie was. Ah, well, I'll give it a shot then.

We all know that being a professional makes you better than others ;)

It frequently does. Give me a professional over an amateur any day for my money. The major problem with Westworld was that it was a full season, 10 part series (these days 10 eps is considered a full season) when it should have been a mini-series. If they had sheared and edited 4 or 5 hours off it could have been salvaged as a classic. All the money seemed to go into production values and Anthony Hopkins' paycheck and not in hiring good writers. Many years ago, before HBO's Westworld, before Michael Crichton's Westworld (1973) there was an episode of Rod Serling's Night Gallery that did in 15 minutes what Westworld took hours and hours to do. I like that economy of effect.

It frequently does. Give me a professional over an amateur any day for my money. The major problem with Westworld was that it was a full season, 10 part series (these days 10 eps is considered a full season) when it should have been a mini-series. If they had sheared and edited 4 or 5 hours off it could have been salvaged as a classic. All the money seemed to go into production values and Anthony Hopkins' paycheck and not in hiring good writers. Many years ago, before HBO's Westworld, before Michael Crichton's Westworld (1973) there was an episode of Rod Serling's Night Gallery that did in 15 minutes what Westworld took hours and hours to do. I like that economy of effect.

Well, if you evaluate quality based on people having been paid something for their work in the past - then I can certainly better understand why you might not like Westworld.

It would seem an amazingly ignorant position on what's involved with having talent in show business - and from that point of view, a fantastic show like Westworld might very well have gone completely over your heard ;)

Obviously, I'm just messing with you.

I assume you understand that these things are entirely subjective - and that you're just messing with us in return.

There were probably a couple of talented or at least promising writers on the staff but Westworld is mostly written by committee, just like most TV shows, just like some of the most horrible things ever done in fantastic television based on an excellent concept (i.e.The Starlost) so most of that talent likely got lost in the shuffle which is why I feel this would have been a much better series if it had just one or two good writers who know how to edit in their heads rather than aspiring screenwriters of varying talents who are all over the place.

Starlost was dumbed down. Westworld wasn't - it's not EA's product.

I finished Grimm. The ending was alright, but I do not think there could have been a much better ending.

I started Killjoys and it's a fun tv-show. It's not a "good" one, but good mindless entertainment.
The woman is cute too so that helps :)

The main problem with The Starlost was its cheapjack production values. Otherwise, the writing in at least some of the episodes was passable. They even had Ursula K. LeGuin writing an ep.

Now Black Mirror is a damn good series. Really (pardon the expression) polished ;) It shows where we're headed better than any other SF series I can think of. I wish Westworld had that good speculative quality, alas.

There were probably a couple of talented or at least promising writers on the staff but Westworld is mostly written by committee, just like most TV shows, just like some of the most horrible things ever done in fantastic television based on an excellent concept (i.e.The Starlost) so most of that talent likely got lost in the shuffle which is why I feel this would have been a much better series if it had just one or two good writers who know how to edit in their heads rather than aspiring screenwriters of varying talents who are all over the place.

The main problem with The Starlost was its cheapjack production values. Otherwise, the writing in at least some of the episodes was passable. They even had Ursula K. LeGuin writing an ep.

What was wrong with Starlost? Can I be of assistance?

That's certainly an interesting fantasy based off of your dislike of the show :)

In the real world, however, the show was controlled by the creators Jonathan Nolan and Lisa Joy - who also co-wrote every single episode.

Now, a lot of other writers did contribute - but those two were in full creative control of the show and the writing. So, in reality - it was anything BUT written by committee, which is part of why it was so consistently excellent.

So, you will probably have to come up with another fantasy to support your subjective dislike of the show.

I highly recommend not going with a fabricated lie - as you really don't need it. Just say you didn't enjoy it - and we'll accept that.

That's certainly an interesting fantasy based off of your dislike of the show :)

In the real world, however, the show was controlled by the creators Jonathan Nolan and Lisa Joy - who also co-wrote every single episode.

Now, a lot of other writers did contribute - but those two were in full creative control of the show and the writing.

So, you will probably have to come up with another fantasy to support your subjective dislike of the show.

I highly recommend not going with a fabricated lie - as you really don't need it. Just say you didn't enjoy it - and we'll accept that.

Didn't they start production and throw it out for a major rewrite? I thought of that early scene with Sir Anthony arbitrarily throwing out the budding hacks new premise he was pitching was maybe a an inside comment on it. Total cost I had read was something around $180m for it.

Didn't they start production and throw it out for a major rewrite? I thought of that early scene with Sir Anthony arbitrarily throwing out the budding hacks new premise he was pitching was maybe a an inside comment on it. Total cost I had read was something around $180m for it.

I haven't heard anything about a major rewrite - but it could be true.

Based off the interviews I've read and seen with Nolan and Joy (they're a couple) - this was sort of a dream project that was pretty thoroughly worked on in terms of preparation and planning.

That said, that's just my impression based on their passion for the project.

I've also seen interviews with cast members openly stating that they would often be very confused about what was happening - and that only Nolan and Joy could set everything right, because they were always present and always in complete control of what was going on and why.

So, whatever you may think of the show - it was neither a typical production nor a consensus-driven story.

Nolan is also a highly respected writer in Hollywood - and he's written several scripts for and with his brother, Christopher Nolan.

Personally, I find some of their movies a little overrated - but I think Westworld has some of the best writing in the AI genre.

Fantastic dialogue and a superb narrative.

But, most of all, they went places that no other movie or show has gone with the subject matter - at least to that extent.

I loved pretty much every minute of it - even though I concede it had some flaws here and there. The two lab techs would be a good example - as I found their particular plotline the most far-fetched of them all.

About Code 37 I thought it's just a certain forgettable movie, didn't know series exist, checked on imdb and they say it's not lousy as the movie was. Ah, well, I'll give it a shot then.
I only suggested it because I know you are into these foreign shows. Truth be told, I probably like it a lot more because of the language and dialect.

I loved the loft, but apparently the US remake was shot down completely. We are still making fun of the director and his trip to make it in hollywood

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom