Windows 8

Why would a sane person "upgrade" from Windows 7 to 8 on a desktop?! Regardless, I don't foresee any compatibility issues that you had not already experienced under the older OS - Windows 8 is simply a more cumbersome version of Win7 when it comes to desktops.

well I am not usually accused of being 'sane' :biggrin:

I installed the release a few months ago into a virtualbox just to play around with it. I came away with a few impressions (haven't installed the most recent version though).

1) This OS is going to pwn on tablets
2) It takes a bit to get used to, but the start screen is pretty good. HOWEVER, it really makes sense only if you have two monitors (tablets not withstanding). I basically ran the virtual box on my second monitor while I was doing stuff on the main PC in the first monitor. It was cool to jut glance over when a notice came up about an email showing up, or a new item in my RSS feed, etc.
3) Despite the above, I don't see a compelling reason to move off Windows 7 at this point. I've heard that while Media Center is an add-on, 8MC is going to have some really good stuff. If it does, I might move my HTPC onto Win8, but doubt I'll move my desktop or laptop.

On the tablet note, I have a friend that has an Acer Win7 tablet. He had some custom GUI on it that made Win7 much more touchscreen friendly. He seemed to like it, though he said that it was definitely a flawed product. Well, he installed Win8 on it and he's absolutely ecstatic about it. Said that it blows away the iPad and all the android tablets (to be fair, he is an MSFT fanboy though).

I still don't have a tablet. I've looked at several android ones and each seems to be flawed at best. I just can't bring myself to spend that kind of money on an unfinished/half assed product. for my phone, its fine. So I was actually thinking of buying an iPad (which would be the first apple product ever for me), but after seeing the demo of the Surface, I can wait a few months more! I'm seriously considering lining up to buy one of those.

Didn't we already have a W8 topic?

Anyway, while Windows 8 looked like a huge risk a while ago, after Surface was revealed it all made much more sense. Still if the future is touch interfaces with "Metro" apps I don't see how being a part of the Windows family is an advantage as the already established software and the backwards compatibility will not suit touch-based devices.

So I was actually thinking of buying an iPad (which would be the first apple product ever for me), but after seeing the demo of the Surface, I can wait a few months more! I'm seriously considering lining up to buy one of those.

Why? What is so special/different about Surface compared to the alternatives?
(I'm considering buying a tablet myself, but I can't really decide on which one
)

As long as I can still play computer games at top quality I am not overly concerned one way or the other what the system is. I am in no rush to upgrade - I am not one to just move to something because its the new hot thing. On the other hand I also don't like to stay completely behind the times (can't really ... I do IT work for a living and need to at least keep up at a moderate pace) so I am sure I will try it out once its been officially released and had a little time to get bugs ironed out.

Well, I *am* one to rush into the hot, new thing! I even got Windows ME and kept it going pretty well until Windows XP came out. Windows 8, though? Not likely. The only thing positive I've heard about is something to do with stereoscopic 3D in Windows 8. I'm still not at all sure what that 'something' really is or if it will also show up on Windows 7, so it's hardly a selling point for me.

I wonder if Microsoft will keep selling 7 and, if so, for how long? There are still folks sitting on Windows XP. I would hate for 8 to be their only upgrade option.

Wasn't it so that Windows XP becomes "activation-free" from 2014 on anyway ?

I'm on XP on my now (in august 2012) 9 year old computer. Apart from the odd upgrade every now and then, it works allright and has never worked better....

It looks like Win 8 might be my only upgrade possibility....

Last week my first 80GB harddrive died. Luckily I didn't have anthing of value on it....

I have no intention of throwing my old computer out just because it is old, it still works as does my 15 year SONY TV....

Why? What is so special/different about Surface compared to the alternatives?
(I'm considering buying a tablet myself, but I can't really decide on which one
)

Several things for me:

1) I'd buy the full Win8, not the RT, so the ability to use all my regular apps (including games) is big
2) The keyboard. I HATE using virtual keyboards. Its fine in a pinch, but writing an email or post is painful. Having that keyboard as part of the cover is genius
3) Ability to play WTV file (Windows Media Center recorded video). I have a media center PC that we use as a DVR. I can use handbrake to convert stuff to play on my phone, but its annoying. Rather be able to just play the file natively
4) Ability to back up the tablet to my Windows Home Server
5) Everything else I own is pretty much MSFT anyway HTPC, laptop, desktop, Home Server, XBox 360. If they integrate Windows Phone 8 well, I may switch to one of those as well.

I tried the first and second Win 8 release they did. Metro on a desktop is going to bomb big I think. I think it will do ok on a tablet.

At work we just moved to Win 7 about 1.5 years ago. We are good there for quite a while.

At home, I easily use my phone more than my laptop now. I'm not planning on getting another laptop as I think phones/tablets will replace them in a few more years for most people.

Yeah its only been in the last tear that my company has rolled everything from XP/Server2003 to 7/Server2008. I don't see us upgrading again in the near future.

Heard a similar report, too. That they would be using Windows 7 rather than Windows 8.
(They still have/use XP, I was told ...)

Several things for me:

1) I'd buy the full Win8, not the RT, so the ability to use all my regular apps (including games) is big
2) The keyboard. I HATE using virtual keyboards. Its fine in a pinch, but writing an email or post is painful. Having that keyboard as part of the cover is genius
3) Ability to play WTV file (Windows Media Center recorded video). I have a media center PC that we use as a DVR. I can use handbrake to convert stuff to play on my phone, but its annoying. Rather be able to just play the file natively
4) Ability to back up the tablet to my Windows Home Server
5) Everything else I own is pretty much MSFT anyway HTPC, laptop, desktop, Home Server, XBox 360. If they integrate Windows Phone 8 well, I may switch to one of those as well.

I see. Those are certainly valid reasons though most of them don't apply to me or the purpose I have in mind for the tablet.

Thank you for elaborating :)

When on desktop pc I want a desktop.

I can see potential uses for all the tablets, but I can't say my need for those uses justifies paying the price.

I expect I will eventually get one, because the power of consumerism is such that I will be missing out on some great games when they get to a state where they're worth playing.

It seems developers are so taken with the prospect of easy money/low budget stuff - that it's almost inevitable we'll see some strong designs on this inferior platform.

I'm on XP on my now (in august 2012) 9 year old computer. Apart from the odd upgrade every now and then, it works allright and has never worked better….

It looks like Win 8 might be my only upgrade possibility….

You can't upgrade to Win7?

Back
Top Bottom