Mutant Year Zero - Review @ Mortismal Gaming

Yea, not sure why, but some games seem to be doing a thing to appeal to that weird "furries" genre weird niche thing that is part of fringe culture, this isn't the only game that I have seen that seems to be appealing to that niche. It's weird, not something I can relate to at all.

Well I could say that about majority of games propagated as with "cute graphics" while have the look of games fo 5 years old kids or it is very stylized anime, so I'm happy for furries - atleast they do look realistic and still it is not humans.

Also WoW had those races quite popular.

So while I get your right to have opinion about graphics of games, I remember how often is forced by media what I should like and what devs should make, that is where I start to feel sick. The constant harrasement of AA studios with really decent graphics like Vampyr or Greedfall, nothing is good enough and the end of the sentence is always - it should look like for kids, so it could be cute, while the game is even trying to tell a serious or dark story. So you get games which are trying to be like DAO like Waylanders, but DAO was very dark and atmospheric. And then the very same people do praise Valheim, which is outright ugly and say nothing. It does feel si dishonest.

I ended up playing through the demo the other day, and I liked it more than I thought I would. After awhile, you sort of forget about the characters and just focus on the gameplay. The atmosphere and environments are well done.

I found the controls outside of combat a little awkward though. It almost seemed like it would feel better with a gamepad. Also, I wish there was a zoom function.

I should add that instead of saying those realistic games are not good looking because they are not stylized, it should be - they don't have art concept or design (not sure what the right english word is), which is very important, but underestimated in realistic games. Not that it has to look certain way. But maybe I misunderstood what they meant - but it was very clear on IGN comment section. I felt sorry for those indie videos there.

And IMHO subjective should stay subjective. The moment they start demanding that games should look the way they want, which is sadly very ordinary in gaming in all areas, also very hard to decide what is objective and what is subjective, that is the moment they can destroy games for others who are different.
In this game the flufy seem alright and the art design is really good generally for me, very atmospheric.

In case you missed it in the Pricewatch thread, this is a free giveaway on the Epic Store until tomorrow. So if you were on the fence… ;)

Back
Top Bottom