F:NV Fallout New Vegas Awarded "Best RPG"

Fallout: New Vegas

CountChocula

Keeper of the Watch
in b4 "OMG they should have waited for Skyimjob".

Also I agree, FNV is a very good game. I liked it even more than The Witcher 2 but this is the Fallout fanboy in me talking. Anny idea if the company that made the game gets any money from this kind of award?

Third place makes me question the judges.

DA2 is 3rd?! WTF?? Are they on crack? Or is this due to complete lack of RPGs released recently?

I have not played FO3 NV yet but TW2 is LOT better game than DA2. However I think DA2 is lot better than ME2 which won last year…

For me personally, TW2 is the best game this year.

Last edited:
It's nice/sad to see what a little marketing money can accomplish in the world of PC gaming. I'm very glad TW2 is even on the list, given its Euro pedigree. Its prequel was ignored by most media, so it's nice to see CDP getting some well-deserved attention. FO:NV is a fanatastic RPG as well; being open world, however, it's very hard to rate and it comes down to personal preference.

DA2 as #3 is a joke however… the first challenger to spring to mind would be DKS.

It's interesting to note that these are all what one would traditionally call action rpg's. I can't honestly remember the last time an old-style AAA RPG even got got made. Would MotB qualify?

I can't honestly remember the last time an old-style AAA RPG even got got made. Would MotB qualify?
If by AAA you mean somewhat recent production values and by old-style you mean non-action - and I´m going to add being good as an additional condition - I think The River of Time definitely qualifies, as well as MotB, and I don´t hesitate to count Dragon Age: Origins into this "category" too.
By now, we could also characterize old-style as having Troika/BIS design sensibilities and in such case MotB + Fallout: New Vegas would fit.
Similarly, Dragon Knight Saga is oldschool in a Gothic sense :).

But without trying to strictly define what AAA and old-style means, the most recent cRPG with "modern" production values which sorta feels overall oldschool and immediately sprung to mind as an answer to your question was The River of Time.

As for the awards in the topic, well, it´s nice to see F:NV winning something :).

I have to say that, in my book, this year so far hasn´t been as good as 2010, at least when not taking indie games into account (I´m rather sure I´ll enjoy Frayed Knights, but haven´t started yet.)
I enjoyed both The Witcher 2 and DE: HR, but neither can quite touch my top 2 from previous year which was Dragon Knight Saga and Fallout: New Vegas and previous year also brought The River of Time (good ol´ school), Alpha Protocol (fresh stuff) and Mass Effect 2 (good popcorn), whereas what´s left of this year is disappointing Dragon Age 2 and Skyrim which I expect to be better than Oblivion, but I´ll be surprised if it´ll be significantly so.
Well, it´s already better than, say, 2008, at least :).

Last edited:
Don't really have a problem with 1st and 2nd place but have to agree those who say that 3rd place for DAII is a joke.

However, I can't believe "Plants Vs Zombies" beat Civ5 in the Strategy category.
???

I see
Best Strategy
Starcraft II: Wings of Liberty
Second place
Civilization V
Third place
Total War: Shogun 2

The first link is to the 2010 awards, the second to 2011.

says pibbur who took a while to discover this

There was a post on this forum saying that The Witcher 2 sold more than million (PC only) but it got 2nd place.

Hmmm, Guild Wars 2 got third place on the 'One to Watch' list while Star Wars: the Old Republic got no mention at all. I wouldn't have guessed that from a popular vote award.

As for Dragon Age 2 getting 3rd place over Two Worlds 2 - yeah, I'll buy into that. DA2 had problems but at least I finished it. I don't know if I'll ever get over the terrible acting in 2W2. Maybe if I turn on subtitles and turn the sound off when people start talking…

There was a post on this forum saying that The Witcher 2 sold more than million (PC only) but it got 2nd place.

New Vegas sold over 5 million copies on all platforms and IIRC DA2 sold a few million.

Other than these three games, during the time period covered by this reader poll, I don't recall any other widely released RPGs that were not Indie games.

Back
Top Bottom