Age of Wonders: Planetfall - STAR KINGS Announcement Trailer

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
An expansion for Age of Wonders: Planetfall has been announced called STAR KINGS.

We proudly announce Star Kings, the third expansion to Age of Wonders: Planetfall. Embark on an epic journey to bring unity to the shattered galaxy when Star Kings launches on November 10, 2020 for PC, Xbox One, and PlayStation 4. Learn more: http://aow-planetfall.com/star-kings
More information.

So now we have Japanese Mechs in Planetfall?

And here I thought dwarfs in power armor was hilarious.:lol:

Anyone who played or is still playing this? I enjoyed the other Age of Wonders games. It's this one worth the time?

Anyone who played or is still playing this? I enjoyed the other Age of Wonders games. It's this one worth the time?
You'll definitely enjoy it if your a fan of the series. Also this time there is no grand campaign. The story is told through different point of views with mini-campaigns.

Basically each race fills a part of the story on what happened in the past & future.

I sunk hundreds of hours into Age of Wonders 3 (and really enjoyed those hours) but could never motivate myself to play Planetfall more than some tens of hours. It felt too much of a copy of the previous (could be a well made mod) and somehow the setting was not interesting (even though it could be). This is only my opinion, but I would not get the game unless it was for a sale and you crave for AoW in a scifi setting.

Thanks @Couchpotato; and @largh; !

I'm no big fan, but I enjoyed the older games. Considering both your replies I think I'll wait for a "complete edition" and then maybe a sale. I'll probably enjoy it, but maybe not enough to play it more than once or a few times. If I don't buy the dlc straight away I'll probably never play it, so better to buy it all at once.

I loved Age of Wonders 1 & 2. But I felt AoW 3 was just a dumbed down version with lackluster graphics that didn't have the charm of the older ones.

I agree this game is a must have for XCOM fans, as the turn based battles seem very satisfactory. I'm eyeing Planetfall for next year, as already many DLCs are out and still this very nice game gets expanded!!

I'll add my opinions as someone who has played every AoW game and enjoyed them all immensely - until Planetfall.

Like AoW 3 especially, Planetfall has great combat - arguably better than AoW 3.

For me though, everything else is "meh" at best. They tried to move the game more into 4x territory and imo, failed. There are some gameplay systems in there that I think just don't work and the game arc is pretty uninteresting the further along you get. I played about 40 hours (which is a tiny fraction of my time in past AoW games) and finally packed it in as I was just bored with the game.

I'll add my opinions as someone who has played every AoW game and enjoyed them all immensely - until Planetfall.

Like AoW 3 especially, Planetfall has great combat - arguably better than AoW 3.

For me though, everything else is "meh" at best. They tried to move the game more into 4x territory and imo, failed. There are some gameplay systems in there that I think just don't work and the game arc is pretty uninteresting the further along you get. I played about 40 hours (which is a tiny fraction of my time in past AoW games) and finally packed it in as I was just bored with the game.
Thanks for your opinion. I usually enjoy 4X games, but it needs to be well done. Out of your 40 hours, how many do you think you enjoyed? Half?

Thanks for your opinion. I usually enjoy 4X games, but it needs to be well done. Out of your 40 hours, how many do you think you enjoyed? Half?

Well, Id say this... on sale it's probably worth trying. Combat was good and the early game was ok. Clearly some people are really liking it... I think I expected too much on the 4x side.

I also have played both AoW3, and planetfall, although not a lot of planetfall.

AoW3, I did have some mods on it, but loved it!!

Planetfall Again like others, I found I got bored! I am still trying it out though, so my opinion may change in the next year.

*Start Rant*
My opinion is that sci-fi is much harder to get right with RPGs, or RPG like strategies than fantasy.
The fantasy setting is more has more limits that define it and make it more plausible, and more controllable. Spells, melee, stealing, assassination, ranged, healing, … not sure I can quantify it… but modern warfare is just bomb the crap out of everything or shoot it... There is little personal skill improvements, or if it is, I think it is harder to implement... not impossible... XCom shows that, but for me.... Fantasy games are easier to apply RPG mechanics to.
I know AoW is not RPG, but it has RPG-like properties.
*End Rant*

I like this game. I play it. I don't like it nearly as much as I liked AoW 3, but then again that could be my preference for a fantasy setting over a "sci-fi" setting. I find sci-fi settings to be far more difficult to wrap my head around than fantasy games.

On the subject away from set and setting, it plays a lot like AoW 3. It's fun. It's a unique and cool game in a crowded market of clones.

Back
Top Bottom