Dead Island 2 - Still in Development

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
TechRaptor reports that Dead Island 2 is still in development and yet another developer is making it now.

It seems it happened in another lifetime, but apparently Dead Island 2 is still trucking on, despite the first game being released almost a full decade ago in 2011. During the course of Dead Island 2's development, there have been three separate studios that have thought about taking it on or tried to make it and bowed out. Techland, the original developer, bowed out to develop the aforementioned Dying Light, Yager Entertainment was announced as the developer in E3 2014 only to bow out next year, Sumo Digital took it over only to bow out again in 2019. It is now currently in the hands of Dambuster Studios, which is an internal studio at Deep Silver, who presumably just want the game out at this point.

[...]
More information.

Dying Light 2 which should of been released this year is also still in development. Anyway different games but similar problems that both might not get released.

Techland made the right decision to drop it in favor of Dying Light which was a much better game imo. I hope Dead Island fans eventually get their sequel, but I'm much more interested in Dying Light 2.

I played and finished Dead Island and Riptide multiple times, loved them. But always had to mod them to remove the head bubble and the shitty movement of the characters.

I played Dying Light only twice, but it was fun too.
But the trailer for Dead Island remains one of the best, for sure.
If they make more I will watch their trailers and play their games.

These guys did have some style, which I appreciated, though I got sick of all the exploding zombies and whatnot. If they went all in with the RPGs elements and toned down the action combat, I'd get in line.

What I'd do, which I'm sure would be wildly unpopular, would be to make it 3rd-person turn based like Knights of the Old Republic. That would make it unique today, I'd argue in the pitch meeting, soon before being laughed out of it.

Dead Island was fantastic back then, RIptide not so much; i think though the hype about this type of games went down in the last years.

Just a heads up since it never made the news.

Techland promises fresh updates about Dying Light 2 in 2021 - DSOGaming
Back in May 2020, Dying Light 2's lead game designer, Tymon Smektala, claimed that the game is in its final stretch of development. However, and since then, we haven't heard anything about this title. Nevertheless, Techland has issued an update, claiming that it will share more details about Dying Light 2 in 2021.

The first couple of hours of dead island are great. Especially the introduction in the hotel was quite memorable. It had attitude. It became a bit less after that but still fun.

Still have to try dying light. Probably because it is less story driven.

Still have to try dying light. Probably because it is less story driven.

It's a must-play if you like the genre. I think it's better than Dead Island in evey way. You can tell they put a lot more effort into the single-player experience.

Back
Top Bottom