The TV Series discussion thread

crap - Almost Human cancelled. The show was pretty cyberpunk in its goodness and had a daytime blade runner (the movie) feel. The stories were light and somewhat predictable but the characters were good. There was a lot of good threads started that will never finish now.

I'm surprised it was cancelled before Intelligence. There was quite a talk it might get renewed. Just can't compete against The Voice and Monday Night Football in that time slot - so move it.

Also, I have to disagree with the number of viewers. Demographics has been more important for a long time ie. type of viewer. Scifi shows like Almost Human bring in the young male demo in droves whereas Dancing with the Stars averages 62 as the viewer age…

Look at Jay Leno. He was still #1 when he was fired for the third time as he put it.

So only Arhu and me are watching anime series?
Guys, cmon. Give one a shot!
I've watched a few animes (I watched the alchemist one some 7 or so years ago in Netflix DVD). There is just something hardcoded in my brain that says anime=kids (even though I know it isn't, my hardcoding wins).

I actually watched one recently in Netflix that I loved, it was about a medievalish world (with cannons) in which some giants appeared and started destroying cities and humans had to recede and build huge walls to protect the remaining cities. Waiting for season 2.

I love GitS:SAC. Does that count?

Heard only good things about Attack on Titan, but I thought it's one season show and you say there will be more? No matter, I'll give it a try.
The problem with anime is that there are so many anime shows like they make every single day a new one. Nooone has enough time to watch them all, so it'd better be at least above average show. If not, it'll be an xth one I abandon after an episode or a few.

And wolfling… Anime=kids?
It is not. You just saw a few that are kids "friendly". But in plenty of it you can find excessive violence, sleepstopper horror and gore, not to mention explicit sex scenes that you can't see in mainstream movies easily.
Recently there was a fuss over a rape scene in Game of Thrones. Sorry, I didn't find that one shocking a single bit. I've seen more shocking rape stuff in anime. It's disgusting and I hate it, but it's there exactly for the reason to make you sick. In GoT it was too short, never crossed the line to be unbearable to watch it and IMO was added without no real purpose.

Has anyone watched Fargo on FX. Three episodes in and Billy Bob Thorton is great as a hit man.

For me it is a Golden Age for TV. Game of Thrones, Walking Dead, True Detective, Vikings, and now Fargo. Also, Homeland on Showtime. What a great time to be a nerd :)

Read in newspapers only praises about Fargo TV series, still remembering the old masterpiece movie!
I'm definetly gonna watch it as soon as it starts airing over here.

And wolfling… Anime=kids?
It is not. You just saw a few that are kids "friendly". But in plenty of it you can find excessive violence, sleepstopper horror and gore, not to mention explicit sex scenes that you can't see in mainstream movies easily.

Like I said, I know it isn't, but my brain is hardcoded that way, so I really have to force myself to watch anime.

Has anyone watched Fargo on FX. Three episodes in and Billy Bob Thorton is great as a hit man.

For me it is a Golden Age for TV. Game of Thrones, Walking Dead, True Detective, Vikings, and now Fargo. Also, Homeland on Showtime. What a great time to be a nerd :)

If you have BBC (or BBC America) there are good shows there too. Obviously Doctor Who, but also Sherlock, Orphan Black, etc.

I watched both fma:b and bepob. Fma is just awesome. Bepob was very good too.

Also good is deathnote
Monster was not bad either

I would say more but typing on a phone is just ugh.

I knew it! Someone did watch it!

Imagine there is a notebook.
Not a laptop, but a classic paper notebook. You write a name of a person in it, and that person dies after a short time.
Or, you go creative, describe the detah in every single detail, even determine the time or a place of "an accident", and the person dies exactly as you've written in a notebook.
All you need to see one's face and to know is the name.

Now let's say there is a such notebook and a person, with a high sense of morality, finds it. And decides to clean the filth of human society. And starts filling the notebook with the names of jailed criminals. What you get is the masterpiece anime series:

Death Note
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0877057/

Yes, a person finds a godlike, or should I say gods' notebook, and starts the killing spree. Who needs DC and Marvel's superheroes? All you need is a notebook!
It doesn't go unnoticed, of course since many prisoners die in a short time, it draws an attention of authorities. The story turns into a game of a cat and mouse where it's not clear who the cat and who the mouse actually is.
Will the notebook owner stay clean and kill only those who (by his value system) deserve to die? Will they catch him? Is there a price to pay for using this notebook? And is this the only such notebook that exists?

Do not miss this show as this is all true:
the third anime that is a masterpiece of it's own, has an awsome mix of different genres music and practically gives you the ruleset for a RPGlike spellbook inside it? An anime that got banned in China. Led to a murder in Belgium. An anime that led to expelling and suspending students in USA?

Something you've never seen before, will probably never see again, a mindblowing experience you just can't stop watching:
10/10

Wolfling, do not let kids watch this one.
A recap tomorrow or the day after with a few more suggestions not mentioned in previuos threads by me or others.

So yes, I've seen them all :D
FMA, Bepob, Ghost in the Shell and Death Note

so i will name 1 myself :p "Hellsing"

there are many more... but will see how many other watchers remember...

A trailer for Gotham. Looks decent. I wonder how they'll handle the characters which are quite young in the trailer. Will they jump decades to also portray them growing up? I hope they won't be kids forever. And I hope the show is good enough for us to actually see them grow up, before Fox cancels the show that is. :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0d1zpt6k5OI

From the anime side, good mentions here. Gits, Gits: SAC, FMA, Bebop, Hellsing and DN are all great tier 1 anime. I would nominate Black Lagoon, Berserk and maybe Witch Hunter Robin. Also GITS and Hellsing have great soundtracks.

In tier 2 (aka only good for half a dozen episodes), I would put Noir (mostly for Salva Nos and Canta per me and early episode with the old guy), Blue Gender, Gantz, Read or Die, Elfen Lied (mostly for the opening theme and episode 1). Sword Art Online was kinda interesting.

Gotham looks like it could be decent, but being on Fox is like, 5 strikes against them from the get go. Maybe it will be similar to Arrow, but from the police point of view more than anyone else. They have what, 80 years of established history to draw on from that city? Of course they could always do something new as well, nothing wrong with that either.

The last one about anime TV series from me.
Unless I find a new one that blows my brains out. :)

To recap, there are IMO three anime series I believe everyone should watch before dying:
- Fullmetal Alchemist / Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood
- Cowboy Bebop
- Death Note
They're completely different from each other, first one is steampunk fantasy, second is a sci-fi adventure and the third one is a thriller with horror elements.

Others mentioned a few more anime series worth checking and I'm not gonna repeat them (except Hellsing Ultimate, it's light horror, I didn't like it, a style over substance show, awsome looking anime with no real "juice" to feed your grey cells).
There are a few unmentioned shows that are very good and only an inch away from being a masterpiece or have a flaw.

Sci-fi setting. From outer space a huge spaceshiplike being is coming to wipe out all life. Your hero and his party have to stop it. You'll succeed, but it's not the end, more of such entities are coming. The show will end as a psychological mindfuck.
No, it's not Mass Effect trilogy but a show they copied a style from thinking it'd be cool. It's Neon Genesis Evangelion.
Elsewhere I've mentioned this show is so complicated and impossible to get on just one watch. Because of it's complexity, there is no consensus about it, to some it's the biggest masterpiece when it comes to TV shows, to others it's an utter crap not worth wasting time on. To me it's a well made study on lonelyness, detachment and alienation in modern Japan presented as a sci-fi show and as such should not be skipped. Also this show is a sort of a blueprint to many other similar shows, but none of them managed to reach it's level or move further.

More sci-fi, and more mechs, but with numerous story twists, more action and better looks? There is such show, it's called Code Geass. There seems nothing really wrong with it, everything is on the top level. Except… First flaw is that characters are too cute. All of them without a difference are like animated modern Holywood plastics. Another flaw is going too far and too unreal with psychological profiles. Nevertheless, it's fun, exciting and never boring show, a flawed gem what we'd say in RPGs.

Usually anime shows start fast then go very slow in the second part. A completely different approach was used in Steins;Gate. First few episodes are about a group who is roleplaying a laboratory. Since it's practically an initial character development phase, it's very slow and some people could be turned off because of that. But it's needed as if it wasn't like that, the rest of the show would feel like a mess!
What happens later? These people make a working timemachine. The world starts turning upside down in ways you can't even imagine, the show becomes a festival of twists and turns without falling into a plothole anywhere and with it's take on time travel is far superior than Back to the Future or Butterfly Effect.
But except the main character, all others remain underdeveloped, there are some very annoying repeatables (probably not annoying in Japan as they adore grinding) and for whatever reason too much of time was given to "dating sidequest(s)". This doesn't mean you should miss this show, it's wellmade, unique and just a step from being unbeatable.

Cuteness of anime and horror? Two things you can't mix together, right? Not quite. There is a let's turn all those cute drawings into a gore mess with a proper story anime series. It's Another and I won't be talking much about it as less you know about it, more you'll enjoy. Sadly, the show suffers from exactly the same thing many other do. Many major characters are undeveloped while the anime style is perfect or almost perfect. The good thing here is that the story is awsome compared to usual Holywood horrors. Not flawless though.

Undeveloped characters is the reason I'll mention one more show as worth watching and not a masterpiece. The show jumps between a few years, forward, backward, in the middle, back, forth, here, there… But you never get dizzy. This unique construction of the story is perfectly polished in Baccano! and from what I've read characters remained on unsatisfactory level because of the lack of funds (there is manga this show is based on). Still, if you watch it (and I hope you will), first you won't believe noone dared to try this way of storytelling before as it's amazing. It's like solving a puzzle without a puzzle and it feels good!

Last edited:
Of all named anime shows, only Death Note is worth watching. It's an "intellectual duel" between two very smart people, one of whom happens to be a serial killer and another a detective. Unlike in other similarly themed works of art I've seen to date, these two are equal in terms of IQ, and rather than a smart detective pursuing a killer it's both of them pursuing each other. A touch of mysticism may seem jarring at first, but after a few episodes it becomes obvious that this show is not about it.

Much of the rest of anime is either oriented towards teens, or starts well but disintegrates into nonsense. Which makes it a matter of taste and not suitable to recommend in general. So I'd definitely recommend Death Note to anybody who hasn't seen any anime before or for someone who has a low opinion on it. It's bound to change your perception of it forever, except that you'll discover later that another anime of its kind doesn't exist. In fact, watch it and you may watch nothing else, it's too hard to find anime that isn't for teens. Maybe Monster is an exception, Berserk in some way, but I'd be hard pressed to name more.

it's too hard to find anime that isn't for teens. Maybe Monster is an exception, Berserk in some way, but I'd be hard pressed to name more.
Bartender is one. Pretty philosophical and refined series about alcoholic beverages and the art of bartending. I liked it a lot and I don't even drink (much).

Nodame Cantabile might be another one; it's mainly about two university students during and after graduation (conductor and pianist) and it it really made me appreciate classical music more.

Generally I'd agree that most animes are indeed either aimed at teenagers or feature them, but I'd also say that a lot of them can be enjoyed by adults as well.

Joxer, you should watch the anime called "Monster".

I will, someone above already mentioned it, checked imdb and wiki, could be exactly the stuff I adore.
But it's not the only one I want to see, there is Higurashi No Naku Koro Ni with expired license on season 1 and never licensed season 2, apparently again totally different from everything else that exists. Dunno how to get it properly, but I'll think of something.
And that new show Attack on Titan everyone's talking about… Just can't wait to watch and see what's the fuss about. Honestly.

As for the target audience, usually teenagers on shows picked by Funimation, I don't care. The show is either good or bad. I don't like pokemon/dragonball/yugioh soap milkthemwithcards/stickers crap. If teenagers can't recognize when something stinks, that's their problem, not mine. :)

-

Back to live action series, The Blacklist ended. And it's renewed for the second season. No wonder, I expected just an average cop drama and it turned into a highly complex thriller. Can't wait the next season!

Anyone watching BBC America's Orphan Black second season? It's even more crazy that the starting one, I adore everything in that show. They better not skip to nominate the lead actress for Emmy this year.

Back
Top Bottom