PoE Thoughts/discussion/first impressions of Pillars of Eternity!

Pillars of Eternity
This game is sleek and elegant. I can't get over it.

Like Walkin Dude pointed out, this year's and last year's great RPG's were awesome but they didn't quite scratch the itch. And the more I play D:OS, the more I'm annoyed by how silly it is. Immersion is impossible.

Not so here. PoE takes itself seriously. It sets mood and keeps it, pulling you in and not letting go. Everything about it is neat and tidy and professional.

I love it.

I only wish there were more character portraits/meshes, but…hey, hopefully we'll see some mods. :)

And Couch, do you think they'll ever release Galaxy?

Been ignoring all the hubbub as well as the beta for fear of spoiling the game. Was looking to probably play after a couple patches but, upon reading the manual and collector's guide, I'm really quite intrigued. A whole lot of intelligent thought went into this game's creation and it shows.

…back to reading descriptions for spells and skills that look wickedly fun and (mostly) original.
Overwhelming Wave – Creates a rolling wave of water that smashes
everything in its path, causing Crush damage and a Stun affliction.
Ah, sweet memories of Icewind Dale's Smashing Wave….

Gah! I can't make a character I like or I can make too many characters that I like so I can't pick one. Depends how you look at it.

And I can't play tomorrow night. *sigh* I really like the improvements they made since the last BB too. New crafting UI is so much better.

This game is sleek and elegant. I can't get over it.

Like Walkin Dude pointed out, this year's and last year's great RPG's were awesome but they didn't quite scratch the itch. And the more I play D:OS, the more I'm annoyed by how silly it is. Immersion is impossible.

Not so here. PoE takes itself seriously. It sets mood and keeps it, pulling you in and not letting go.

This is why I was so keen on PoE. It's not a nostalgic fondness for D&D or isometric 3D that grabs me. It's that those Infinity Engine games also happened to be RPGs made the way I like them - with the right balance of exploration, story, character development, tone, etc. A more modern engine would be great, so long as they don't spoil that recipe.

Has anyone noticed the random slowdown or erratic delivery of voiced lines? The reviewer from RPS was mentioning that it was a problem for him.
I wanted to wait for patches but the Watch effect is beginning to take hold. Dammit!

Like BrianOConnell said, RPS wasn't talking about this particular bug. In my game a third of Calisca's lines (one of the tutorial companions) were randomly chopped, sometimes I only got to hear the last word of the sentence. The weird thing is it only happened for her and I've yet to encounter the bug on any other character.

I'm only a few hours into the game and I love every second of it. I rolled an Elf Cipher and I love the class. The game really feels like a modern Baldur's Gate with some innovations in the mechanics and a lot of attention to details.

anybody playing it in Hard difficulty? I find it hard indeed!
In the temple, my party of me (priest), a warrior, a wizard, and an adventurer monk I made in the tavern, find the shadows in the 2nd floor really challenging. They seem to be resistant to melee attacks, I'm guessing, so since the wizard is doing the damage, they teleport and attack him, plus they have one nasty ranged attack, and he being so squishy goes down really fast.
Luckily the temple is close to the inn, so I can fight a couple of fights and go back outside, free room so not using my camp supplies too.

hours in, Pale Elf Rogue vixen, i feel pretty o so pretty
Multiple nerdgasms later, i realize something

We are witnessing, taking part in CRPG history, my friends

By default game has it set to pause at combat starts, but you can set it at enemy noticed. Then you can get the first strike and do what you want

I checked and I had that option set already (noticed) - didn't seem to stop my character from queuing an attack. I have now turned off auto-attack, which I didn't see before. Hopefully that will help. Also, is there a command queue that I can see? Didn't notice anything - and how can I add commands or see what's already queued up? Or dequeue commands?

So anybody having a constant clicking noise as it seems some players have reported this problem, and it just started happening in my game after playing for two hours.

It gets annoying really fast, and seems its because of my sound driver.

Update: Nevermind a fix will be in the next patch.
Sometimes SFX have been found to begin repeating, often when tutorial tooltips appear or quest updates. This has been resolved in our upcoming patch. Until then, if this issue occurs, closing the client and loading your last save should resolve the issue.
Anyway it keeps happening regardless of rebooting the game.:disappointed:

No bugs so far for me.

Though sometimes it seems special abilities selected during combat don't trigger. The borders light up but don't trigger.

I checked and I had that option set already (noticed) - didn't seem to stop my character from queuing an attack. I have now turned off auto-attack, which I didn't see before. Hopefully that will help. Also, is there a command queue that I can see? Didn't notice anything - and how can I add commands or see what's already queued up? Or dequeue commands?
You can queue commands with shift but there is no UI to show you what you queued

So anybody having a constant clicking noise as it seems some players have reported this problem, and it just started happening in my game after playing for two hours.

It gets annoying really fast, and seems its because of my sound driver.

Update: Nevermind a fix will be in the next patch.
Anyway it keeps happening regardless of rebooting the game.:disappointed:

I've heard a few people say, that turning off tool tips may solve this problem.

Why am I picking up stuff directly to the stash? Can't I "pick all" directly to my character instead? I'm fine with the Expert setting of not accessing my stash except in rest mode, but having to wait for that for any pick-up seems really stupid.

Do I have to pick up individual items and place them in the inventory?

I only wish there were more character portraits/meshes, but…hey, hopefully we'll see some mods. :)

And Couch, do you think they'll ever release Galaxy?

One of the devs. said they saw someone working on new portraits for the game. Maybe they'll release them in a patch.

Why am I picking up stuff directly to the stash? Can't I "pick all" directly to my character instead? I'm fine with the Expert setting of not accessing my stash except in rest mode, but having to wait for that for any pick-up seems really stupid.

Do I have to pick up individual items and place them in the inventory?

You should be able to click on a characters portrait on the loot window to loot directly to that character instead of to the stash.

So I'm a few hours in now. I'm having fun playing a human dual-whield Chanter with high resolve, intelect and decent constitution. I have no idea how this works out, I haven't read through all of the mechanics. Hope to learn while playing in normal difficulty.

I still don't like the design decision of having so few skills.
With currently 3 chars (having Aloth and Edér) combat is manageable.
I know only these two chars so far, but they're a good start. They definitely have personality.
I like the scripted events - great idea.
Had two bugs so far: Enemies just stopping to fight waiting for you to attack them. And dialog windows (like looting) partially being outside of the main window.

I'm embarrassed, as I've played the BB for hours as well, and only NOW did I notice that - when I pick abilities - I can click the various tabs, and not just pick a class talent :)

Back
Top Bottom