Rune Ragnarok - Announcement Trailer

I'm not a huge fan of the setting, but I enjoyed Rune back in the day. I didn't realize at first that this was actually a sequel to that game.

I'm surprised they're turning it into an RPG though, and I'm a little skeptical because afaik they've never developed an RPG before.

Well there are rpgs and rpgs. I mean Dishonored has like 8 skills and a 8 spaced inventory as is considered by many an rpg. Bioshock is considered by many an rpg and it has about the same, so that's something different than say designing Gothic's or Morrowwind's skill system.

I think every game should have Path of Exile's skill system....or not. I'm willing to give it a looksie on release.

My first thought was it sounded like Skyrim till I read this was a follow-up game and possible the first came out before Skyrim (didn't look at dates). Regardless I love the Norse mythology and the setting so would be fine with it. I actually haven't liked any of the other RPG games that use this setting and theme for the most part (outside of ESO and Dark Age of Camelot and those are MMOs :p) so always open to seeing what might develop.

Rune was released in 2000, so it predates Skyrim by about a decade.

I thought it was pretty good for back then even though It's basically just an action game.

There were also few failed projects

-The Runemaster which Paradox cancelled for some reason. The game was looking really great and they were making good progress. Does anyone remember why they cancelled it?
-Also back in 2012, Guido Henkel tried to launch a kickstarter project called Thorvalla which seemed pretty exciting.

I'd actually really like more RPGs with a jungle and desert setting. I think Ovenall has a point though - it really feels as if the winter, northern European themes are really pushed on us, but that may be due to the massive success of Skyrim, Witcher 3, and Game of Thrones being reflected in media so often.

I'm fine with Norse Mythology, but seeing as they go hand in hand with worn and weathered winter scenery, I suppose it can't be helped.

Last edited:
Anything but the desert. Underwater setting would interesting though.

I wouldn't mind playing a CRPG in a middle eastern or far east setting. Say something inspired by 16th century (what is now called) India. We get enough games inspired by medieval Europe. I mean I really like the settings of games like Skyrim and Witcher 3 but it'd be nice to play something new and different.

Guys, I think you're all missing the point.

I'm of Scandinavian background, and I am sick and tired of Norse mythology, Ragnorak, Vikings, horned helmets and snow.

SO TIRED OF SNOW. AND IT'S SUMMER.

Ovenall is just using this opportunity to mention he's Scandinavian!

There can obviously never be enough quality Norse themed RPGS!

An rpg where you play through adventures of Hercules, oooh…
Are you kidding? Story is (or should be) so well known that there's very little opportunity for anything new and/or surprising.

I'd actually really like more RPGs with a jungle and desert setting. I think Ovenall has a point though - it really feels as if the winter, northern European themes are really pushed on us, but that may be due to the massive success of Skyrim, Witcher 3, and Game of Thrones being reflected in media so often.
The winter, northern European themes in Witcher 3?

Are you kidding? Story is (or should be) so well known that there's very little opportunity for anything new and/or surprising.

The winter, northern European themes in Witcher 3?

Skellige Islands?
witcher-3-3.jpg

Back
Top Bottom