Witcher Finished it... (Spoilers abound!)

The Witcher

Prime Junta

RPGCodex' Little BRO
Well, I wondered how come that Act III never seemed to end -- it seems there were no chapter panes to introduce acts IV through VI.

So I finished.

Whoo.

What an awesome finish, too -- satisfying, exciting, narratively great, with just enough loose ends left untied -- not to mention a great teaser -- to make for a sequel. The fights were a trifle easy, though -- next time, I'll go with Hard.

The only problem is that this makes just about every (current) game out there look pretty damn unimaginative and boring.

Ending speculations / open questions / my ending (big spoilers!)

Grandmaster = Alvin ? -> I think so.
Attack on the king -> maybe another "forgotten" witcher school ?

Great open ending - I think there will be an addon/sequel, because the map of my collectors edition has a backside ("The Empire of Nilfgaard") :)

My ending:
Friend of Shani
Defeated The Hunt of the Wild and the Grandmaster
Friend of Elves and Dwarfes
King of Dice Poker
Knight of the Lady of the Lake
Best boxer of the world
Wearer of Raven's armor
Rescued Princess Adda and Abigail

Last edited:
Was there a list somewhere you could see these?

Grandmaster = Alvin -- yep, that was pretty heavily hinted. There was the pendant, and he said something that sounded a lot like something I told Alvin in a tense moment. Pity, that. Poor Alvin...

Attack on the King -- could be, but I don't think so. He was clearly a mutant and carried potions, but his fighting technique was very different -- dual-wielding two short swords rather than using a two-hander. He also didn't use any Signs. IOW, looked much like the mutant assassins in Chapter V, only not quite so mutated.

My list would've been slightly different:

I was neutral, and a friend of Triss ("just friend" though). Does "friend of the night wraith" count?

It's my list - I think there's no list of finished quests in the game.

Night Wraith ??? - is this the nice Vampire Lady of the brothel or someone else ? - I have played this game in german, unfortunately many characters have different names

Last edited:
Nope, she's Celina the sister of the Noonday Bride. Perhaps you didn't get/do that quest? If not, pity, because IMO it's the best side quest in the game.

BTW, there is a list of finished quests in the game -- just go to the Quests tab in the journal and un-check "show ongoing quests only" (or whatever it's called).

But that's a very long list.

I only helped the bride by restoring the mirror and singing(?) something :) I could not help her sister because I chosed to get my own house from the druid. -> something for the second run.

A truly a satisfying ending.

Ending up having taught the arch villain his moral values like that was definitely a unique twist, not anything I've seen before.

How were you able to rescue Adda?
I had to kill her in the Swamp Cemetary

EDIT: Nevermind, I found out elsewhere. I guess I'll have to do things differently next time I play.

Last edited:
Have to say that was one of the more serious endings I've experienced.
Hard to be cursed out for being neutral and trying to stay out of everyone else's madness, but the points about death following in your wake were pretty indisputable. And the assassin is definitely a better cliffhanger than having the roof fall in on you
a la NWN2
Next time I'm going the elf-hugger route, as long as I can keep Triss.

So I assume there are several end movies?

I assume the appearance of Alvin as the Grandmaster is another ending from the attack on the King by another Witcher?
Since I had heard before about Alvin before I finished the game, so I was surprised not to see him.

My experience:
(Neutral ending)--Alvin appears briefly on the long fight up the icy slope, as himself. Geralt tells Triss he's just an illusion. Also at one point in this progress upwards,the GM makes a few remarks to Geralt that seem to reflect things he said to Alvin during the game. Later, after the GM is killed, he has Alvin's amulet clenched in his dead hand. But it really is just a series of oblique references, and more of an impression than an actual conclusion--still a bit open to doubt. In my ending, Alvin is never actually confirmed the way you mention.

Hmm, well seems identical with my experience.

I also saw Alvin appear and Triss saying it was an illusion, and also the amulet in the GMs hands at the end. Though I think Geralt mentioned that the Amulet seems identical to the one he gave Alvin, but that it seemed more worn.
I never really thought that it would mean Alvin would be the GM.
What I heard was a bit like you say, that some thought Alvin was the GM because the GM made some remarks that some thought Alvin also had made.
I just thought it was going on in the end cutscene and not as part of the game.

EDIT: And I actually thought that Alvin would be a new GM and not the GM you kill. Because, I just heard people talking about a GM they thought was Alvin. And I thought it was the end cutscene they were talking about, where a new GM was shown, and that people thought it was Alvin because of some of the things he was saying.

Last edited:
Well who knows
The likelihood really is that it's Alvin, only grown up, that you meet as the GM--remember Geralt asking Triss what's happened to Alvin after the end of Act4, and she says "he teleported away. He could have gone anywhere in space or time"

Yeah I remember that.
It might be because I didn't connect the remarks the GM made, to something Alvin might have made. Because I still don't see it.
In Act 3, Sigfried mention the GM by name I think, when he tells you that he is about to recieve a medal from him. So that would either mean that Alvin goes from one appearance to another. Or that he for some reasons kills the former GM in act 4 and resumes his place.
Another thing is that I have trouble seeing Alvin like that, expecially after I feel I have tried to influence him in a good way, during our convesations.
But I won't say its not possible. And it is also strange that the end cutscene didn't say anything about what happened to Alvin.
I kind of feel the end cutscene didn't give many answers. What happened to Triss and I, what about Alvin, what about Vezemir (The old witcher that gave you the quest to retrive the mutagen at the start of them game).
Its a good teaser for a sequel, I just wished there would be some more answers from this game.

Adressing one guess made by HiddenX... light spoiler so don't bother hiding it if You have already read his ending spoiler.
A. Sapkowski's books never mention there being a different witcher school. In fact Kaer Morhen is most probably the only witcher school in the author's intention.

I just finished this game and wow, it's the best RPG I've played since Vampire: The Masquerade. It's been a while since I played an RPG that like a good book, I found very difficult to "put down". There's not any one aspect that makes it stand out, it was the culmination of the atmosphere, the character Geralt, the story, the CHOICES you could make, and the fact that the good/evil was more gray and less black/white that so many games and fantasy novels portray it.

I think my favorite scenes were the following.

I got choked up when The Lady of the Lake presented Geralt with his "Excalibur". I also got similarly touched upon reading Berengar's letter admitting his cowardice. His actions seemed so "human" to me and I sympathized with him.

Oh my, imagine: no spoiler tags. :)

I just finished this game and wow, it's the best RPG I've played since Vampire: The Masquerade.

Meh, I need a new computer so I can play the game too! :[
And Eliaures, I like your interests!

And Eliaures, I like your interests!

Thanks! That's one of the nice things about a web site like this (praise be to the admin!) you can find folks that share similar interests. I always hate reaching the point with my computer that I can no longer upgrade. I feel for you, Arhu.

Back
Top Bottom