Anyone with Projector experience?

D

DArtagnan

I bought a new projector a few months ago: BenQ W700.

I've been very pleased with it - but I've started noticing what looks like "white smudges" when the screen is black or really dark. You can only see them when that's the case.

At first I assumed it was dust on the front of the lens - but it's definitely not external.

I've tried vacuum cleaning the grills and stuff - but I'm hesistant to open it and start messing around. But I guess it's something on the internal parts or the lamp.

It's somewhat minor - but it's the sort of thing that drives me crazy.

Anyone has any good suggestions?

I'd rather avoid sending it back, so if there's some trick or something obvious - I'd love to know.

No idea, sounds like a possible LCD defect. But do check one thing: did you make sure its not an irregularity on the canvas you are projecting on? - I once went crazy, lens cleaning and dusting off my projector, only to in the end realize that there was some irregularity in the paint of the wall I was projecting on....

No idea, sounds like a possible LCD defect. But do check one thing: did you make sure its not an irregularity on the canvas you are projecting on? - I once went crazy, lens cleaning and dusting off my projector, only to in the end realize that there was some irregularity in the paint of the wall I was projecting on….

I've checked the canvas - but I'm not sure it's visible. I'm hesistant to clean it - because I'm afraid the paint or whatever will come off.

I could try not extending the canvas fully - so as to see if the smudges are still there in the same place. Good idea.

I had an older projector once that got the same issue after a while. It looks exactly like someone put greasy fingers on the lens - but it's not.

"Smudges" normally happen over time on old projectors, but on a few months old one? And I don't think it was on 24/7 all that time.
Do not open it yourself. Send it back.

I've done some research today. It seems it's a problem with dust entering the "lightway" - which is apparently not airtight on cheaper projectors.

The only way to fix this is to get it open and clean the internal surface manually. I might have to send it back - but I'll see how hard it is to accomplish later today.

Don't void your guarantee!

I had a BenQ 8700. The fans are pretty powerful, I wonder if you've got something trapped between the bulb (which is a sealed unit) and the panels? Pull the bulb and get some air in there.

I had a BenQ 8700. The fans are pretty powerful, I wonder if you've got something trapped between the bulb (which is a sealed unit) and the panels? Pull the bulb and get some air in there.

That could be… The "dust blobs" are very persistant - and don't seem to move their location no matter what I do.

I'll try removing the bulb and see if I can't carefully blow a little air or something in there.

I suspect it's on the inside of the lens - and I have no idea what it takes to gain access to that area.

Which retailer did you buy it from? If it's that new, you should try to return it and get it replaced. Even if you have exceeded the returns period, you can usually negotiate with the store manager.

I've been using the Optoma HD20 1080p projector for the past three years, so far haven't encountered any issues like this at all.

Which retailer did you buy it from? If it's that new, you should try to return it and get it replaced. Even if you have exceeded the returns period, you can usually negotiate with the store manager.

I've been using the Optoma HD20 1080p projector for the past three years, so far haven't encountered any issues like this at all.

It's an online-only thing - and I'm not sure what their return policy is. But I'll figure that out.

Back
Top Bottom