Ultrabook Gaming - Elex

ToddMcF2002

SasqWatch
Elex on an Ultrabook sounds ridiculous. I guess times have really changed. I made a little video below. I bought this Asus Zenbook UX430 with a dedicated Nvidia MX150 to have portability playing lighter isometric games like Original Sin & Pillars but it is well exceeding my expectations considering it weighs in at 2.75 lbs! My Sager is 6 lbs and my MSI is 5 lbs for comparison. Granted this little guy would struggle with Witcher 3 but what it can do is pretty remarkable.

This is one of the new Nvidia "Max-Q" program laptops. 1920x1080 14" panel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4qXlsYasQ0

That is very impressive!

It doesn't sound like a leaf blower either. Sounds like any other laptop fan. Honestly I didn't think a chassis like this was even feasible given the heat. The whole rear edge is both intake and exhaust and I know a single fan is attached to (2) heatsinks and (1) shared pipe across the GPU & CPU. But it works.

Yeah I've got an old (well 4years) MSI with an 870m. It's quick enough for most of the stuff i play but struggles with the latest AAA. It also weighs a tonne - prob 5lbs - and the fan is very loud. I might need to upgrade at some point, your video is making me jealous!

I have the latest MSI and its amazing how the bulk is a deterrent to picking it. But with Elex in the low 30's in terms of FPS this Ultrabook can only do so much. It can't complete with my MSI's GTX 1060. So there are limits. I'm assuming your's is in this lighter format like my gs63vr?

lt-ms-0257_angle2_900_2.jpg

No, it's bulkier than that. A fatter base towards the screen. There's been considerable progress in recent years by the looks of things. :) A 1060 laptop sounds pretty awesome…
Edit: just checked - it's actually over 7lbs!

Yeah that's another Max-Q laptop. Its 7% less powerful than its desktop counterpart which is incredible

Truly, laptops have come quite a long ways since I last owned one. I don't think I'd ever get one now, but if I were to change my mind, it's nice to know there are some powerful options out there.

Would you recommend the gs63vr? I'm giving serious thought to upgrading in a couple of months and the specs look pretty damn good.

I haven't had a "PC" in 10 years. Never liked being fixed to a seat

Yeah, my last ‘traditional’ computer was in 1997 ...

I have Elex installed on my Alienware 13 and it similarly plays wonderfully- well, given limitations. Mine has the GT 960.

Would you recommend the gs63vr? I'm giving serious thought to upgrading in a couple of months and the specs look pretty damn good.

I saw the new ones at Pax East today. Amazing! But yes highly recommended. It rips Witcher 3 on ultra with hairworks or anything else I throw at it and it isn’t loud at all

I haven't had a "PC" in 10 years. Never liked being fixed to a seat

I am also the same but I could never play on a table with a laptop like that. I prefer handhelds so I can play while I move around at home(not brave enough to play outside). So I still keep my pc setup for high end gaming. Can never play on consoles.

Back
Top Bottom