DA:O No Rogue, no merchants, no alchemy? ***SPOILERS***

Dragon Age: Origins

ToddMcF2002

SasqWatch
Am I playing this wrong? I'm in RedCliffe with no Recipes for alchemy, no Rogue (I've left chests unlocked all over the place) and the only merchants I've found are in camp.

The game has locked me out of Ostogar so no luck going back there for anything.

Last edited by a moderator:
You missed the first town you were supposed to go too.

Did you go to Lothering? I thought that was the only town unlocked on the world map (after the wilds). Didn't realize you could head straight into RedCliffe.

I went to Lothering? Cleaned it out of quests. The lone merchant there left! No rogue, no recipes.

I bought the recipes from the army camp merchant.

I'm in Lothering now. There is a merchant there, but you said he left…so I don't know.

Maybe:
Can't you go do the other quests like recruit the dwarves, Dalish Elves and Circle Wizards? They've got to have some merchants there.

Edit: There are two merchants in Lothering. Check the bar;)

You meet a rogue in the bar. A rather unusual rogue to say the least:)

You meet a rogue in the bar. A rather unusual rogue to say the least:)

I think this took me by surprise...never would have guessed it.

If I survive RedCliffe I'll have to go back I guess. No rogue though??

You can´t return to Lothering since after you leave it gets overtaken by blight, which means you probably lost two potential companions.
You should meet another recruitable rogue shortly, though he isn´t "prebuilt" as a utility one.

Once you complete any of the major quests after lothering, you can't go back there. So go there once Redcliffe survives the night. You should be able to go back at that point.

If I have any gripe with DA this is it:

That you can't go back to the places you've been before - like you could in BG1.

You're forced to take a route that's set to a certain goal - to go from A to B to C, but you can't go from B to A again apparently? - not unless the game wants it?

Such as going to Lothering, then leave, then you can't come back to Lothering - unless the game steers your there...it seems...

Well that's because you're not the only agent in the world of DA. The bad guys don't just sit around and wait for you to save the world from them. As you progress, so do they. I don't think of this as a fault, not at all. This is a hardcore RPG, afterall. There are consequences.

In any case, you can go back to places you've been before in many cases. In cases where the plot dictates that you can't, you can't. Otherwise, you can.

I have to agree with aries100 on this one. I was really annoyed when I discovered that I couldn't return to the Kocari wilds, because I didn't grab that hidden stash that guy left for his family.

You can talk about the world progressing, but seriously, lets not try to cover up every little fault with our fanboy enthusiasm, there are definitely flaws in this game.

They could have at least gave us a hint about areas that we won't be able to return to, just so we don't screw ourselves out of being able to complete certain quests.

I have to agree with aries100 on this one. I was really annoyed when I discovered that I couldn't return to the Kocari wilds, because I didn't grab that hidden stash that guy left for his family.

You can talk about the world progressing, but seriously, lets not try to cover up every little fault with our fanboy enthusiasm, there are definitely flaws in this game.

They could have at least gave us a hint about areas that we won't be able to return to, just so we don't screw ourselves out of being able to complete certain quests.

I agree and disagree with you on this :)

Yes it is annoying that you can't go back to certain areas. I am one of those people who try to do everything in the game and I hate myself for missing certain things. So imagine how I felt when I found out you can buy 2 sets of bag in Ostogar!! (I am having inventory trouble right now)

However I can understand why we can't go back to Ostogar. We lost the bloody war there!

Lothering is bit iffy. There are hints something is up. There are lot of refugees and when you speak to the people it is evident that they are planning for an attack and preparing to leave the town. I would have preferred if that information was bit on your face.

In summary what I am saying is that I can go along with "you can't go back place" provided there is good plot point for it :)

I should really stop reading these forums. I had no idea you couldn't go back.:D

It's like after Ostagar I tried to go back there to get my dog. I did everything before I left Ostagar to get that little guy....well not so little;), but it was totally blocked out. I thought at the time you had to do some other origin story to get the little guy or I missed some opportunity to get him, but it turned out ok just as soon as I started heading up to Lothering :)

It's good in a way that I read this because I might of headed off to some other town before tying up any loose ends in Lothering. Sucks for anyone else who headed off and couldn't return. A little warning when leaving the area would of been nice. Like "The Darkspawn are fast approaching. If you leave now you won't be able to return."

I should really stop reading these forums. I had no idea you couldn't go back.:D

We really need spoiler forums :)

I have sort of stopped reading Bio's spoiler forums. Someone posted a major plot point in thier post title :(

This thread is now riddled with early game spoilers, so just close it if "Lothering" doesn't mean anything to you.

Lothering is bit iffy. There are hints something is up. There are lot of refugees and when you speak to the people it is evident that they are planning for an attack and preparing to leave the town. I would have preferred if that information was bit on your face.

If you talk to a few people in Lothering, it's made very clear that the place is about to be over-run. If you *could* go back there for the whole game I would consider it a fault. In my opinion you do get fair warning. As for the Kocari wilds, you aren't warned that you won't be able to go back there, but there's nothing of great importance there anyway.

It makes perfect sense that you're unable to go back to these areas to me.

I think some folks are making excuses for a game that appears to have serious shortcomings. Frankly if I could merge Drakensang with DA combat I'd toss DA. I still like it alot but this linear herding issue is lame. I havent experienced it yet, but I hear there is monster scaling. No spoilers - but I left a scenario I couldnt conquer and I wonder when I get back if it will be twice as hard :(

Back
Top Bottom