Hexen

What do you guys think of Hexen? Would you consider it an rpg? How do you think the series ranks up among the rpg greats?

Hexen is not RPG. It was a fun shooter at the time.
It ranks among the code so outdated even Nokia3310 can run it.

When it was initially released, it wasn't bad at all. Today?
Avoidware.

I remember it was pretty scary; also pretty hard, there were quite a few levers or switches that opened doors in different maps, quite a few tough puzzles. I dont think i finished it. As for heretic, it was way much easier since it was more like serious sam, pewpewpew nonstop.

Hexen series was fun. It was a fantasy shooter - Doom with wizards and magic. Fun game at the time.

Do you guys think that there is potential, however, for an rpg and first person shoote rhybrid like the best of both worlds in one game? maybe like a medieval type game but better combat than elder scrolls?

Do you guys think that there is potential, however, for an rpg and first person shoote rhybrid like the best of both worlds in one game?
Of course there is potential thus is already made as DX series. Then we have Gamebryo Fallouts (3, 4, NV) where shooting is fun. Another upcoming entry that is supposed to do the same hybridization is Cyberpunk2077. Not sure about the upcoming Obsidian's game though. Some will perhaps mention ME series, but those aren't not firstperson really although could have easily been and would still be fun.

maybe like a medieval type game but better combat than elder scrolls?
Medieval, sure, why not? All you need to do is persuading the player that use of bows/xbows instead of melee is more fun. ;)
Also… Let's be honest. Anything has better combat than elder scrolls. Even Tetris that has no combat at all outclasses it. :D

Not for me. In fact I find myself embracing turn based combat even more now than I had in the past. Right now I'm playing Enderal and enjoying it, but honestly if it hadn't been free I'd likely be playing something more suited to my tastes. When I have the choice of playing turn based games without having to jump and prance about, I'm more likely to stick to them these days. Shooter types interest me less and less every year, it seems.

Do you guys think that there is potential, however, for an rpg and first person shoote rhybrid like the best of both worlds in one game? maybe like a medieval type game but better combat than elder scrolls?

Wouldn't the "Souls" games fit that bill? Demon/Dark Souls & Bloodborne aren't first person… but the rest seems to fit what you describe, especially the better combat part. I'm not sure how great "better combat" can be in first person… I always found first person combat in Oblivion and Skyrim very wonky (not that 3rd person view in those games was much better, just that 1st person is a weird viewpoint for any kind of player involved twitch combat... it's hard for me to imagine, for example, Dark Souls in 1st person view).

Back
Top Bottom