F:NV Fallout Newb : New Vegas help/discussion

Fallout: New Vegas

NewbVegas

Gambling on the Past
I am pretty much completely new to the Fallout series as I have never really played past 30 minutes of Fallout 3. Never played anything before Fallout 3 and never played New Vegas.

I have been playing Fallout 4 but my boyfriend is playing that now:p So, I have, a few moments ago, bought New Vegas online and I was just wondering if you guys could help me obsess over this a bit.

I was just wondering what decisions I get to make when creating my characters? I know vaugely that there is more to it than there is in Fallout 4 but I cant really seem to find anything which is very clear on it.

Also, is it true that you cant join any factions?

I almost didnt buy this game because, upon investigating the Legion, my excitement took a downturn when I realised they are basically just the generic bad guys (booring - I mean, at least give the Legion some good points like they could have been pro-homosexuality and womens rights while the NCR could be made out to be anti-them, for example). But i've decided to buy it anyway and I'll probably end up joining in with the Legion as I think I want to go for a mainly melee based build.

Last edited:
Well, the Legion is basically Roman, they are not completely bad, but certainly not the nicest people. But yes, you can chose either faction. There are also a couple of other faction based decisions to make but I wont spoil anything. ^^

Regarding character creation: Just be aware that Intelligence gives you skillpoints and this is not retroactive. Meaning if you increase int later on you will not receive the skillpoints from past levelups.

Well, the Legion is basically Roman, they are not completely bad, but certainly not the nicest people. But yes, you can chose either faction. There are also a couple of other faction based decisions to make but I wont spoil anything. ^^

Regarding character creation: Just be aware that Intelligence gives you skillpoints and this is not retroactive. Meaning if you increase int later on you will not receive the skillpoints from past levelups.

K, so I havent heard of any redeeming features of the Legion. Can you name a few?

Also, are melee builds viable for newbs like me or are they very much harder than using guns?

Melee is viable, but you'll have to invest into sneaking as well. Announcing your presence to guys armed with guns while you're carrying a machete is never a swell idea.

Legion is less corrupt than the NCR - that's one redeeming facet. Honestly, just play the game and let it explain the world to you; there's no clear cut bad/good guys. Discovering the dirty secrets of each faction adds a lot to the gameplay, so I wouldn't advise being told what they entail before even stepping foot in the game.

Well just like the Roman Empire they bring order to an uncivilized world, but at the cost of a totalitarian dictatorship that has certain laws many wouldn't agree with.

Legion is less corrupt than the NCR - that's one redeeming facet.

They dont sound like compelling arguments for the Legion but I'll more than likely end up siding with the Legion no matter what anyway as I usually find representative democracies such as the NCR difficult to tolerate - they remind me too much of my real life government :rolleyes:

Honestly, just play the game and let it explain the world to you; there's no clear cut bad/good guys. Discovering the dirty secrets of each faction adds a lot to the gameplay, so I wouldn't advise being told what they entail before even stepping foot in the game.

You're right. It'll be more fun discovering it all for myself. :cool:

Melee is viable, but you'll have to invest into sneaking as well. Announcing your presence to guys armed with guns while you're carrying a machete is never a swell idea.

Would I die all the time if I was melee based with no sneaking? I was thinking of being a charge-the-enemy-head-on-and-get-stuck-in kind of character.

So, can anyone help me with customizing my character before I get the game? I prefer to do it in advance with as much info as possible. What perks etc do I get to choose from? I have the Ultimate Edition, if that makers a difference.

Last edited:
Oooo! I found this website: http://www.rpg-gaming.com/fnv.html :) :)

This is what I was thinking:

Hn3a10k.png

AjTqmOQ.png

MJEhIq3.png

What do you guys think?

Looks fine to me. Look out for fire ants, deathclaws and a few other annoying melee types.

Personally, I'm too much of a looter to ditch lockpicking, and I never play on any kind of survival mode (where survival is at its most useful due to consumables IIRC), so I'd probably replace survival with lockpicking. That's just nitpicking though, as long as you have high Int and Str (for a melee build), it's all good.

Looks fine to me. Look out for fire ants, deathclaws and a few other annoying melee types.

Personally, I'm too much of a looter to ditch lockpicking, and I never play on any kind of survival mode (where survival is at its most useful due to consumables IIRC), so I'd probably replace survival with lockpicking. That's just nitpicking though, as long as you have high Int and Str (for a melee build), it's all good.

I dont mind missing a few locks here and there, myself. But, yeah, it can be annoying sometimes. Maybe put it in to Science instead so I can hack stuff?

Why do you need high intelligence for a melee build?

+ I feel like I may have neglected luck because in Fallout 4 luck seems pretty terrible… is it the same in New Vegas or should I put a few points on luck?

Actually, yeah, maybe I will put the point on lockpick... It seems to increase it all the way to 24 if I do (which I didnt expect).

K, so I have just discovered the Wild Wasteland trait (didnt see it before as I didnt realise you could scroll down!). Is it a fun thing to have or does it break immersion? I may only end up playing this game through once and I want it to be a good one. Is Wild Wasteland worth it?

Also, which other trait should I swap it with if I do go for it? Heavy Handed or Hot Blooded?

If you're playing on a console, Wild Wasteland is not worth the point. If you play on the pc, as all people should :D ,then just add it in yourself via console commands. Isn't it ironic that console players cannot use the console…..

The Legion is all male, as far as I remember, so they could be homosexual. Women are basically there as slaves, rape toys, breeders, etc. Great group of guys, not! I enjoyed killing all of them. :biggrin:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom