Cute and cool exotic animals!

I'll start.

Pacarana. So friggin cute :D love how it moves, so human-like which totally clashes with how it looks. Pretty sure it must have escaped from some animé series ;)

Adorable, but also tragic. Humanizing animal kind of diminishes it.

Adorable, but also tragic. Humanizing animal kind of diminishes it.

The opposite sometimes happens, too.

My personal favourite animals are still the Tullymonstrum and the Anomalocaris.

Love the giant rat. Love the way he cleans himself, which is really like a regular rat…just slower. :p

Reminds me off that scene from The Princess Bride:

Also reminds me of my old pair of hairless rats, Fink and Blink. Blink was born without eyes, and Fink was sometimes mean to her, although they were really very tight. :p

Cool bat. Just had one hanging in my entryway the other day. Think he was lost or got stuck in the field when the sun came up. He went on his way the next night.

Speaking of bats, I considered getting one of these once:

But you're really supposed to get sugar gliders in pairs, as they're extraordinarily social creatures that normally live in large colonies. If left alone, they can die. And they need to bond with their owners, which generally entails carrying them around in a pouch near your heart. If you don't get more than one of them, you have to carry them around in the pouch all the time, and I think you're supposed to do it a lot anyway, even if you have a pair.

In the end, I figured the sugar glider was a lot better off with its own kind and I was probably better off just being followed around by a dog, who is needy enough as it is. :p

Yes i've watched a lot of sugar glider videos in the past :) Taking care of one of these seems super demanding, those kinds of animals are far better off in the wild..

Overall animals which requires constant attention can be a pain.. I owned an African Grey parrot for 20+ years, he wanted constant attention. The good thing about AG's is that it's easy to teach them words for things that they or you express, so you can have very basic conversations about needs (cuddle, play, bath, sleep etc.) Eventually he got some kind of epileptic seizures. Very saddening, every time he would tell me they were "scary!" after he recovered from it after a few minutes.

Whoa, that''s kind of weird. I've never had a pet that could talk to me like that. I've taliked to parrots before but never had one of them tell me something personal like that. I imagine it was difficult to hear him say "scary" like that. It is scary. My son had seizures for some time.

they learn as easy as a kid almost, so words will stick with them if you say it each time something is happening that you know they can relate to. It can be bathing, petting, and perhaps especially things related to food (he would tell me if he thought something was especially good tasting "was it good?", or if he wasn't happy with it / or out of food - "change food!"). "scary!" stuck very quickly with him, things like the vacuum cleaner was scary, but then he would begin to describe other things too as "scary!" if he didn't like them.

but it's not that fantastic really, dogs and cats would most likely do the same if they could mimic, you can tell they have an interest in expressing themselves too, only they can't speak.

I was watching a documentary a bit ago about all the new things they're learning about the brain with MRIs, specifically animal brains in this case.

Their upshot, essentially, was that there is lots of higher brain activity in animals not deemed very smart by man traditionally. The ability for complex language, songbirds were one example, was an aid in brain activity, but it wasn't a hard-and-fast rule. The cuttlefish was just one example of an exception, as they found the cuttlefish to be a bit spooky smart.

But didn't we know that already?
cuttlefish.jpg

Cuttlefish

mind_flayer.jpg

Mind Flayer

I've been convinced pretty much my whole life most animals are much smarter than we give them credit for.

Last edited:
I think he hurt the big one's feelings...

I'm fond of exotic animals. Not so long ago I found live webcams from South Africa. They give a great view on local wildlife. Besides these webcams available here live 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. I can watch for hours on the multitude of landscapes and exotic creatures.

URL? I Have a live stream for pandas which i watch sometimes
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtEgLf0_j1vJLz0aNEdO2SQ

since i don't have a pet nowadays i find that watching animal videos is really soothing and seems to give a slight serotonin boost.

I don't think i'll get a new pet. I have very conflicting feelings, it shifts from "i must have a pet" to "i absolutely should not have another pet" so its better to be without one.

Ohh, that Panda stream! :)

Supposedly Koalas are one of the most stupid animals on the planet according to some scientists.

They are cute though ;)
They seem to have a wide range of sounds.. above was cute, this is quite the oppostite

Look up the Quoll. They look cute enough but do have sharp little teeth :D

Supposedly Koalas are one of the most stupid animals on the planet according to some scientists.

No wonder I thought they looked so human in their behavior.

Now wait a minute, what is this dissing the Koala for it's (so called) extended sleeping habits!?

Toucans are really cool and mysterious birds.. When i was a kid i really wanted one, as far as i can recall they were not too hard to obtain then.. the prices now, wow.. around $9500!

Instead of a tongue they have a tall feather in their beak + they sound like the Predator. I'd be so afraid that they would break their large beak though!

Back
Top Bottom