Last game you finished, tell us about it

Wasteland2? I waited and played the patched version.
Loved it so much I'd instaback it's singleplayer sequel. Not caring for spinoff MMOs.

Seriously, they are planning to do a spinoff MMO? I didn't know that…

Last edited:
Wasteland 2 is another game I backed and haven't got around to actually playing yet. I might just wait until W3 is released and play the entire series from the beginning.

I have both the original version and the Director's Cut in my library. Would there be any reason to play the original? What's weird is that the original is a significantly larger install than the DC (19.5GB vs 15GB). Did they remove some content?

I see no reason to play the original. DC version is (imho) improved in every way. There are massive set of bugs once you go west that were fixed in the DC version (not sure exactly which patched fixed them so maybe a non-dc version has most of the patches). Most people didn't seem to like wasteland2 much but after a couple of plays I kind of prefer it to d:eek:s and pillars - d:eek:s has better game play but wasteland-2 has better story progression (it tells a better story - the story is mostly predictable but still it is better told if that makes sense).
-

I could be mistaken but I think Joker considers the co-op feature being added to wasteland-3 a MMO. I wonder if he also considers D:OS a MMO since it has co-op (and D:OS 2 allows 4 way co-op so maybe it is 4x more an MMO - but i'm not sure joker would have to comment...

Seriously, they are planning to do a spinoff MMO? I didn't know that…

I wonder if he also considers D:OS a MMO since it has co-op (and D:OS 2 allows 4 way co-op so maybe it is 4x more an MMO - but i'm not sure joker would have to comment…

I'm pretty sure he does, he is consistent at least. Calling WL3 a MMO is very weird though, I don't care for the coop part but I didn't in D:OS either and still think it's a great game.

I see no reason whatsoever to play WL2 without DC, it made several things better and didn't take anything from the original experience except for bugs.

I'm pretty sure he does, he is consistent at least. Calling WL3 a MMO is very weird though, I don't care for the coop part but I didn't in D:OS either and still think it's a great game. .
That's just how Joxer is. He hates phone games, DLC, and any game that has Co-Op
I see no reason whatsoever to play WL2 without DC, it made several things better and didn't take anything from the original experience except for bugs.
Hm I re-call a few encounters and puzzles were removed or changed. Though yes the Directors cut version is better given the new updates, and graphic changes.

I have yet to finish Wasteland 2; I played through a good bit of it (20-30 hours?) but it just didn't pull me in enough to continue. It's difficult for me to find a game these days whose mechanics are fun and original enough to keep me glued to my seat.

Just finished WL2: Directors Cut. Played through the entire game at release and liked it, but the balance is a lot better with DC and the changes to armour and weapons. The addition of perks is a good one, but I still feel character progression is the poorest part of the game. Perks that gave actual abilities and skills instead of just statistical differences would have been more interesting.

Out of my 40+ backed games I'd say WL2 is my favourite so far. Good writing, different solutions to quest, fun combat at least for the major part of the game. I love the reel at the end showing what happened at the different locations, that makes it feel like what I did mattered. Don't think I'll replay the game again anytime soon if ever, but I'm sure as hell looking forward to WL3.

I'm just now very close to finishing it. It's an excellent old school rpg game. I would not have played it for 165 hours so far otherwise, lol. (I play through these type of rpg games the first time exhaustively, and never replay them most of the time, and explore every nook and cranny and rack up a lot more hours than most people)

But I do think its best in the beginning and mid-game, and the end game is not very good. You can tell the end game was rushed, and it is sloppy and unrefined compared to the beginning and mid-game. I feel they should have cut the game off earlier if they didn't have enough time to do a proper endgame, a rare case where the game may be too long.

Finished Expeditions: Viking. The game started off strong in the beginning but then the bug/technical issue really start to get to me. The ending was a bit of anticlimax too. I would say 7/10 - shame, could really use extra development time. Going for a second run to see how my opinion will change.

Finally managed to play and finish a couple of weeks ago Mars: War Logs and Bound by Flame after both of them were sitting in my library for years. The games were somewhat average, short, linear, and low budget, but they were still entertaining enough for me to actually finish them. With enough funding and development time Spiders could probably pull off a pretty decent game.

Took about two years and then some but done with Pillars, fin-a-lly.
Overall: good, but not great, I'd say it's crpg jack-of-all-trades packed with a number of incremental improvements…doesn't have their lows, but never hits ( except on very few occasions) their highs either.
Lacks focus, emotional resonance, humor, companion interaction, better map scenarios, more "effective" script and encounter design, best parts were those choose your own adventure sequences.
Expansion did improve on it…larger maps, better loot for the most part, though story ended up meh in the end.
Enjoyed it overall, though man was I tired of trash mobs by the end of it, will take a year off at least of anything rtwp involved.
Now what onto next? E.Y.E, Dex, Shadowrun, even thinking of trying that Deus Ex mod.

Last edited:
Finished Expeditions: Viking for the second time. It took me roughly about 35hours to complete both times, but I did a lot more quest this time around. I'd say 7.5/10… the game is fun but I think it lacked focus a bit, jack-of-all trade. I might write a proper review on it soon.

In case anyone is wondering how I finished it so quick, I am on a break from work :p

I might write a proper review on it soon.

In case anyone is wondering how I finished it so quick, I am on a break from work :p
Yes, please.

I'm not wondering about that - if you don't chase silly (grindy) achievements that have no benefit gamewise like clear all campsites, there is no wasting time that would inflict boredom urging you to stop playing, being on break or not.

Done with DEX...the good: art and ambiance, likable protagonist and a few side characters, no filler quests and no modern day handholding, decent amount of c&c integrated further along in game, solid voice acting and worldbuilding.
Main story was a bit disappointing ( cliche cyberpunk...really overdone by now) though, characters and dialogue a bit of hit and miss, it's pretty thin on "rpg"/cyberware part, with stealth/combat and (especially) hacking being plain annoying.
Any game that does hacking right? ( picked up Uplink on GOG a while back, though)...better to not have it than in shape of some arcadey mini game.
Overall, more recommended for those into cyberpunk/characters/sidequests than in systems/gameplay...enjoyable around 10 hour long game, kind of old school sense of "compact".
Checked in on what devs are up to, all young fresh out of school Czechs, and man, the lead designer actually passed away not long after release( kidney failure at age of 24?), seems they're branching into mobile and working on VR horror game.

Fallout 4. Finished Railroad and Institute which both suck. Went back to a save before the faction leaders demand I start a war. Finished all the dlc main quests except for taking over settlements for the raiders of Nuka World. 246 hours, 86% Achievements. Time to go back to Witcher 3.

Finally finished Pillars of Eternity for the first time since I backed the collector's edition oh so very long ago. Now that it's patched, the sheer amount of content to go through was at times daunting! Very fun experience; have contemplated a replay with just a couple characters (solo would suck given how you'd be locked out of stronghold quests).

Given all that, there's still plenty of flaws in the game that had me annoyed at times.
This is something I posted on the Obsidian forums with my hopes for PoE II.
A request: Things to improve upon in PoE 2
  1. Long duration consumables usable from inventory please. Doesn't affect combat balance but eliminates the absolute tedium of juggling food into and out of quickslots.
  2. Please include zooming for map screens; the Caed Nua minimap was unnecessarily cumbersome to use.
  3. Please include map annotations. Why was this basic feature left out of PoE 1?
  4. Make UI icons clearly readable; ie., don't shrink buff and debuff icons down to the point that they're no longer functional.
  5. Implement additional selection circle customization. Why do party members in PoE always have a selection circle even when not selected? This doesn't help clarity in battle whatsoever.
  6. I have not been following PoE 2 too closely (see comment about soured PoE 1 experience due to bugs), so this may be getting addressed… but please for the love of God improve upon pathfinding. The Infinity Engine "pushed" people out of the way if those people weren't set to 'guard'; the PoE 1 equivalent seems to have the characters simply run around continuously at the perimeter of battle. Cue exasperated sigh.
  7. Better difficulty progression. It's no secret that the latter half of PoE is far easier than the beginning. I think a large part of this is because the enemy types never evolve after a certain point. I was still fighting spectres and trolls in my last hour!
  8. Tying stronghold turns to quests completed was a mistake in my opinion.
  9. Please, less RNG tied to loot. Whether it be Azzuro that took 147 game days to show up in my playthrough or the Gloves of Manipulation that I only found (very late) in White March after consulting the wikipedia, please don't randomize sources of unique or otherwise important items.
  10. Do not list limited crafting ingredients within enchantment recipes until they've been attained (or through some other mechanism of discovery). Who thought that having the player know most of the antagonists five minutes into the game would be a good thing?
  11. Don't lock spells behind late game enemies. Having fought Llengrath near the end of my playthrough (as most other people would I assume), finding four completely new spells was a bit of a letdown. For instance, I wound up using Llengrath's Blunting Wisdom all of one time. Disappointing.

Eh, those are minor things, mostly, really. Game has larger issues.

I agree with loot, though. Too much of it, too little difference in between. Uniques should feel like artifacts ( as Soulsbound, but without pointless leveling), distinguishing properties not found anywhere else...instead of + hit, +damage, + x.

Stronghold and dungeon was a waste of time they could have spent elsewhere.
As for classes, monks should gain focus on succesfull hits, barbs powered by wounds. Cyphers using unique "leash" attacks, like warlocks, to gain mental energy.
Stats should be closer to system in Tyranny, with treshold bonuses ( like Arcanum) and used as talent requirements.
But the biggest issue is gameplay, encounters and how they play in map design.

My main issue with loot is not so much the prevalence of unique items (though there are indeed many), but how the descriptions and stories told regarding those items are simplistic and lacking context. Finding a unique item in Baldur's Gate, for example, had far greater impact not just because of their increased rarity but also in how the game world seemed at times to be designed around the item, rather than the item with a forgettable backstory being dropped in a forgettable location.

One of my stronger memories involving BG2 is finding that Greatsword that drained health, guarded by deathknights. Good game design there - CONTEXT! I think I only had one minor moment like that in PoE - finding Minoletta's Grimoire in the Adra Dragon's hoard.

As for my other issues, well, I tried to keep the list trimmed down to items of polish that could hopefully be addressed with minor tweaks in the sequel. Obsidian aren't about to redesign their entire concept of how the game plays (for better or worse).

Back
Top Bottom