Bethesda Softworks - Changing Approach to Single Player

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
@OnlySP Bethesda say they need to change their approach to single player.

Although Bethesda Softworks continues to be one of the greatest proponents of single-player games in the AAA arena, the publisher believes it needs to adapt its approach to such projects.

Speaking to The Guardian recently, Bethesda’s senior vice-president of PR and marketing Pete Hines first reiterated that the publisher remains dedicated to the format, saying “it’s part of who we are, and we still think there’s room to be successful.”

[...]
Thanks Farflame!

More information.

I'm afraid to read the article.

I can't wait until that mostly meaningless sentence gets blown way out of proportion and we get to enjoy another endless tirade of death-of-singleplayer lamentations.

He says single player is really important to Bethesda, and says

Single-player is still a thing; it might continue to grow or evolve, but it’s part of who we are, and we still think there’s room to be successful. That doesn’t mean that we should keep doing things the way we did five or 10 years ago – we’ve got to continue to change how we approach it.

Which seems reasonable enough to me.

I can't wait until that mostly meaningless sentence gets blown way out of proportion and we get to enjoy another endless tirade of death-of-singleplayer lamentations.

I was tempted to make the headline:
"Bethesda Softworks - Changing Approach to Single Payer"

I was tempted to make the headline:
"Bethesda Softworks - Changing Approach to Single Payer"

Wait, isn't that the headline?

Either way, since he doesn't specify what he means I can't see any reason to be upset. Yet. ;)

Last edited:
As joxer would say, an MMO with 2-4 people.
So the plan is only 2-4 people will buy the game and play it's multiplayer?
Or a mass of people will buy the game but only 2-4 will play it's multiplayer?

No. The masterplan is that a mass of people will play it's multiplayer. Won't all be able to see each other? That's supposed to remove "massive" from "multiplayer online"? Gimme a break.

Also, it doesn't matter how many people actually plays it. It's the plan that matters and the plan is mmo. As any other plan, it can succeed or fail.
Bethesda say they need to change their approach to single player.

Generally they don't need to. Prey being an utter garbage doesn't mean their other singleplayers' design sucks.

So the plan is only 2-4 people will buy the game and play it's multiplayer?
Or a mass of people will buy the game but only 2-4 will play it's multiplayer?

No. The masterplan is that a mass of people will play it's multiplayer. Won't all be able to see each other? That's supposed to remove "massive" from "multiplayer online"? Gimme a break.

That has the potential to be an interesting statement.

Do you have a human version of it?

Yes. It's called "immersive sim". There you go - nonhumans like me cannot understand what's that supposed to mean.

Actually, I meant the non-alien version of human, but that's ok ;)

What does it mean to change ones approach to SP ?
It means Bethesda had their own approach and that there are other approaches to switch to.

Bethesda, up to FO 4, were committed to try to bring a living world. They have failed so far so they might turn to heavy story lined world, with pathetic NPCs a la TW3 and KC.

All flash, no substance.

No but NPCs that could grow in ulterior versions into NPCs to sustain a living world, yes. Templates for improvement.

A feature that neither TW3 or KC display.

Back
Top Bottom