Arcania - Pushed into 2010

This is great news. With Div Div 2, Dragon Age and Risen all coming out around the same time it would be tough getting in some playing time. With just the 3 aforementioned games, 2009 is going to tuff(time wise) on the RPG player.

Hopefully Jowood cleans the game up and has it ready for a summer 2010 release

It seems as if some folks actually want to see Arcania fail. I'm looking forward to Risen as well, but why on earth would anyone not want Arcania to succeed? Makes no sense.

I don't know if you were referring to me but I really want both Risen and Arcania to be good games.

But there were some real management and leadership problems with the release state of G3... not to mention the horrible release of the G3 addon... which PB had nothing to do with.

With the back and forth blaming of jowood and PB regarding the state of G3 at its release... I think who is more to blame for that will be indicated by which game (Risen/Arcania) is very good and functions well and which game is not very good and is full of major bugs and choppy/laggy fps.

But I *hope* both games will be very good, and play well on most machines.

it would be nice to think that both Risen and Arcania will be top-notch games.........but......are we that lucky?

It seems as if some folks actually want to see Arcania fail. I'm looking forward to Risen as well, but why on earth would anyone not want Arcania to succeed? Makes no sense.
I see a reason: in order to allow PB get back the ip and make the "real" Gothic 4, (not saying I support it, but I guess some people could... in fact the idea a new Gothic by PB makes me quite happy when I think of it).

Anyway, I thought that Arcania was expected for 2010 too. It always looked as if it was way behind in development compared to Risen. And I think it's good for both games, Risen and Arcania, that they aren't released in almost the same time frame. However I still think that Risen would be the winner of this competition, if someone wants to see it that way. I know what Risen is giving, I've seen it in Gothic and I like it. Arcania is an interrogation, but seems more influenced by the new console mainstream by what we've seen so far, which I don't like it much. But who knows, perhaps because of that it becomes a real success in the USA unlike did Gothic games, (and Risen?).

I've gotten that - not sure if it is desire to fail or cynicism based on early views.

I see a reason: in order to allow PB get back the ip and make the "real" Gothic 4

Why does everyone give PB a free pass for Gothic 3? There are serious problem in both the design and vision of G3 that are entirely PB's fault. Just look at the melee system and the unrealistic design goals. The memory streaming system. All of that was PB. An extra year of Jowood dollars would have left it in a similar state that it is in today - which is 'better' but still quite flawed.

This delay doesn't suprise me one bit. A lot of RPGs are being released and in today's global economy there is only so much money to be spread around. Plus, I have the suspicion that JoWood looked at Arcania as it is now and realized they had another G3 possibility on their hands.

Which brings me to why all the cynacism directed at Arcania: G3's very long shadow of bug infested mess that was released. Fool me once shame on you; fool me twice shame on me.

duh, people expecting whatnot from arcania: a fedex tale.

you still don't realize?? ;)
________
WHOLESALE VAPORIZERS

Last edited:
I see a reason: in order to allow PB get back the ip and make the "real" Gothic 4, (not saying I support it, but I guess some people could... in fact the idea a new Gothic by PB makes me quite happy when I think of it).

The IP always was PB's. Only Gothic 4 is locked. This is the reason why JoWooD wants to transfer the Gothic momentum to a new IP. If they had the Gothic IP, ArcaniA would be called Gothic 4.

Why does everyone give PB a free pass for Gothic 3?...
Because there are Gothic and Gothic 2. And people tend to think that they learnt from their mistakes on Gothic 3, as seems to be showed by Risen up to now.

Gorath said:
The IP always was PB's. Only Gothic 4 is locked.
Ok then it might be the reasons for those who didn't know that... like me :p

It will be interesting then to see what makes PB with their next game, continue with Risen, go for Gothic... alternate both brands? (because I doubt they can handle two projects at one time).

Maybe they'll go with Baroque? Renaissance?

Rococo?

I can see it now: "Piranha Bytes presents -- Rococo: Ruffled Collars!"

Fragonard_-_Fran%C3%A7ois-Henri_d%27Harcourt.jpg

Back
Top Bottom