Votes: 4 8.2%
  • Chaotic Good

Votes: 19 38.8%
  • Chaotic Neutral

Votes: 4 8.2%
  • Chaotic Evil

Votes: 1 2.0%

• Total voters
Chaotic Neutral. Apathy and noncommittance with a touch of sadism.

If anyone has problems remembering just which alignment believes what, seek the wisdom of the Dude:
big-lebowski-chart.jpg

I'm always a sickening lawful good in any game I play. I've tried neutral and can't do it well and can't do evil at all

Easy, when I can play with three characters:

Lady: Chaotic Good
Mage: Neutral Good
Knight: Lawful Good

I simply can't identify with non-good alignments… Picking one of those three, I'd go with neutral good, because too much or too little law can be evil, too. ;)

I've always had a soft spot for true neutral with my characters. As a kid I fondly remember DMing a game for a friend with a mysterious anti-hero antagonist NPC who always left notes, calling himself the "Neutraliser". I simply loved the abstract idea of dissipating polar moral extremities with the force of neutrality. ;)

The last AD&D campaign I played with university friends however had me playing a Chaotic Neutral barbarian. I like the challenge of stepping outside of my own personal ethical boundaries and taking on the persona of another and forming uniquely individual beliefs around the alignment.

Last edited:
Many years ago, I used to play Chaotic Good - when I was still naive enough to believe in good and evil, but these days I play True Neutral most of the time.

It's really the only alignment that makes any sense to me, as it pertains to real people.

But for "romantic fantasies" like Star Wars and Tolkien - I have a soft spot for the extremes, like Lawful Good, Chaotic Evil - and the "fallen knight" Lawful Evil alignments ;)

As for the actual choices I make in games, they would likely be considered Neutral Good or Chaotic Good - but that would be a misconception, made by people who don't understand people.

DArtagnan said:
As for the actual choices I make in games, they would likely be considered Neutral Good or Chaotic Good - but that would be a misconception, made by people who don't understand people.

Wait, so you're saying that Dungeons and Dragons doesn't actually provide a comprehensive theoretical framework for human moral functioning? Mind blown, man. Mind blown.

Wait, so you're saying that Dungeons and Dragons doesn't actually provide a comprehensive theoretical framework for human moral functioning? Mind blown, man. Mind blown.

No, I'm saying alignments have nothing to do with how human beings function. I don't know how you got "moral functioning" out of anything I said, though. You probably believe in the concept of morality? Then the concept of alignments should work well for you - as it's based on the same kinda of ignorance.

I can see I have a lot to learn.

I usually play as true or chaotic neutral.From time to time I take chaotic evil(usually on second playthrough) because sometimes I just want to watch world burn.

Play where?
On forums? I'd say...
Lawful evil.

When I'm forced to take an alignment, I generally go with chaotic good; tending to do what's right and, like, totally not caring for what the Man says about it, dude.

I've never been a fan of alignment. It never really works in PnP, leading to arguments about what is and isn't keeping with your alignment, intent vs. results, etc., and it's even worse in CRGPs. It usually boils down to super goody-two-shoes or an adolescent's idea of an uber-cool, selfish, short-sighted jackass and often feels crammed in. It's another one of those pieces of baggage that we can't seem to stop lugging around with us. Hmmm... I might have an idea for another thread.

Chaotic Neutral. Apathy and noncommittance with a touch of sadism.

If anyone has problems remembering just which alignment believes what, seek the wisdom of the Dude:
big-lebowski-chart.jpg

Fantastic images, saved on hard drive, thanks D
my typical gaming alignment in games is "Goody-Two-Shoes"
I didn't see that up there . . . . nor in the Poll.

G.T.S.: Definition
Willing to help just about anyone in need of help but also willing to steal from them in order to save the world. Will never kill an innocent and will use the space time continuum (save game) in order to make things right. Wishes he could talk his way out of deadly encounters but he hates that the world makes him kill massive amounts of living things. He would probably lose sleep over his actions but rarely is sleep ever required in his/her world. So he just battles on in hopes of saving the day, world universe because that's how he rolls.

I'd like to know what people disillusioned with the idea of strict alignments think of the FATE system, where you simply don't have an alignment…you only have traits and concepts that form the framework of what kind of life your character has lived and what their experiences have been.

May I add a couple? :)

middle_earth_alignment_chart_by_gambit508-d5p8541.jpg

ac-tombstone.jpg

I'd like to know what people disillusioned with the idea of strict alignments think of the FATE system, where you simply don't have an alignment…you only have traits and concepts that form the framework of what kind of life your character has lived and what their experiences have been.

I've not looked at Fate yet, but it sounds like an interesting system. I stopped using alignments in any RPG not long after I started playing, so a non-alignment system is just the default for me. So in that respect it's probably not that different from anything I've ever played. :p

Don't know the system, but I'm pretty sure I'd consider any system trying to categorize human behavior into anything but the largest and most flexible compartments a failure.

Generally chaotic or neutral good - lawful good is too stultifying. That said, my very first D&D character (in AD&D) was Chaotic Neutral…totally crazy wizard, but I had such fun :p More recently I have been playing a Lawful Evil monk in a Pathfinder 'Evil" adventure Path (which has been very liberating!) A bit like Dungeon keeper, with all the goody two-shoes invading our mountain fortress - (but being smote with Smite Evil *hurts* owwwy!) It is a bit weird trying to play an evil character, and I'm not sure I'm doing it right - but we're sowing discord and havoc. The machinations are fun bwahahaha! *cough*

In the NWN-Games I like to start out Chaotic Neutral and wait where the Journey takes me... usually I end up Chaotic Good, but in some Modules the NPCs annoyed me and I ended Chaotic Evil :D

If I start TN I seldom get enough Chaos-Points for an aligment-change to CN though.

Since in AD&D CN was also the alignment of Madmen, I used CG in most Old D&D Games.

I voted CG in the poll, because most of the Time that is on my Character Sheet, but I don't care if my Characters are CE, CN, CG, TN or NG. I really don't like NE and LN Characters.

Back
Top Bottom