Witcher 3 - Wins GotY at 2016 GDC Awards

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Another great prize for the Witcher 3: Wild Hunt:

Witcher 3 wins Game of the Year at 16th annual Game Developers Choice Awards

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt, the open-world fantasy role-playing game from developer CD Projekt RED, was honored with the Game of the Year award at tonight's 16th annual Game Developers Choice Awards ceremony during the 2016 Game Developers Conference at the Moscone Center in San Francisco.

The acclaimed title also received the award for Best Technology for its complex game engine that combines brilliant visuals with a huge game world.
More information.

One of the more meaningful awards for video games, I think. Congratulations to them, and I hope it leads to comparable improvements in other AAA titles.

I see Todd Howard won the Lifetime Achievement Award, which is cool as well.

Meaningful end choice definetly, but at least one game among GOTY nominees was IMO not meaningful:
Fallout 4 (Bethesda Game Studios / Bethesda Softworks)
The Witcher 3 (CD Projekt RED / CD Projekt)
Metal Gear Solid V (Konami)
Bloodborne (FromSoftware / Sony Computer Entertainment)
Rocket League (Psyonix)

http://www.gdconf.com/news/fallout_4_bloodborne_and_mgs_v.html

Too bad instead of that mainstream crap on a childtoy strong experiences like Her Story, Life is Strange or Undertale were not nominated but just mentioned "honorably".
The audience saved the day by awarding Life is Strange though while innovation prize went to Her Story although Undertale was nominated at least in that category.

There is a positive thing though and that's not a single nomination of the overhyped garbage Destiny in any category.

Here's hope that in next year(s) nominees won't feel like Oscar/Emmy ommissions and soulselling (aka here's hope garbageware like SW:Battlefront won't appear among nominees).

Good to see, I am glad it wasn't Fallout 4 like at DICE. Mediocrity should not be rewarded. I would be fine with Bloodborne winning it though. Even Rocket League :p

Too bad instead of that mainstream crap on a childtoy strong experiences like Her Story, Life is Strange or Undertale were not nominated but just mentioned "honorably".
To be fair, "Her Story" got three awards, one more than Witcher 3. That's not a "Game of the Year" award, but I guess it's some kind of balance. The other games that got awards (Ori and the Blind Forest, Rocket League, Crypt of the Necrodancer) are not too shabby choices, either.

Back
Top Bottom