PoE2 Obsidian - Confirms Pillars of Eternity II

Pillars of Eternity II

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Gamepressure had the chance to interview Feargus Urquhart and he shared the info that Pillars of Eternity II is in production, and might be crowdfunded again.
We were talking about the general idea of crowdfunding Obsidian’s games, Feargus said that they thought about crowdfunding Tyranny, but decided to do it on their own. However, they’re most probably going to turn to Kickstarter to crowdfund Pillars of Eternity II, and that’s when Feargus shared what they’re currently involved on:

Obviously, as you’ve probably guessed, we’re starting to move forward on [Pillars of] Eternity II. That is probably something that we want to look at [in terms of crowdfunding]. I think people felt like we delivered on our promise, and then that felt like we could go with Eternity II and people would support us again, because they trust us.

Eternity II is not announced, [but] it seems silly for me not to acknowledge it, though. If someone asks “Are you working on it?”, I respond “Well, wouldn’t you work on it?”. So then they say “So you must be working on it”, and then I’m like “Well, yeah”.

I really hope it picks up were the White March left off....

I really hope it picks up were the White March left off….
I agree but I remember reading that each squeal will be different like Dragon Age. Still I could be wrong though, so I suppose we'll see with the games official announcement.

Last edited:
I agree but I remember reading that each squeal will be different like Dragon Age. Still I could be wrong though, so I suppose we'll see with the games official announcement.

I don't remember that, I do remember Feargus saying that they were interested in doing all sort of games in the settings, but they wouldn't be called POEII if that was the case and that it wouldn't be set in the Dyrwood (considering the possible ending state for the place, not too surprising, rumor is The Vailian Republics is the setting as well).

If your Watcher comes back or not is another story, I remember Sawyer musing over the idea at least. Watchers are rare and sought out for their powers so there are reasons to go travel at least.

Great news. PoE was my favourite game of 2015. :)

I know there are some things that were left unfinished in my mind when it told the ending of the story.

Also I feel there is way more story that could fit around your keep and the forge.

Edited: no matter what way they go it is good news to me :)

I hope they take a more focused approach. I enjoyed Pillars( still haven't finished it), but it feels like they tried to make something with characteristics from all IE classics, that it ended up lacking it's own identity ( along with several historical backgrounds, without any being fully realized in the end).
Still, lore and interesting mechanics are there, but I'd like to see something with more personal involvement like with BG saga.

I didn't like the conclusion of PoE's story (I thought the writing in the final sequence was pretentious and sophomoric) but I like the lore and setting as a whole, so I'd rather see a sequel start fresh in another part of the world, with a different hero.

I'll back the game in a second regardless -- Sawyer's game design gets a lot of stick around here, but I enjoyed the combat quite a bit, even playing the game as it was right at release, when it admittedly still needed a tweak or two.

Great that there will be another Pillars game, but I think they missed a huge opportunity to make this an ongoing story from game to game like Baldur's Gate.

Imagine a modern trilogy of isometric, Infinity Engine-style connected games where you could import your character/characters into each sequel telling one large story.

No other series has done it quite like Baldur's Gate has, and this was Obsidian's grand chance to enter that extremely rarefied air of being up there with the Baldur's Gate series.

However, I loved Pillars and am happy more games are being made in the series. Just a bit bummed that they missed a once in a lifetime opportunity here.

No other series has done it quite like Baldur's Gate has,
To be honest, this isn't really accurate. The Goldbox AD&D games offered character transferrals for parties, which is essentially the game series that Baldur's Gate was the spiritual successor to. You could start out in Pool of Radiance, transfer to Curse of the Azure Bonds and then again over to Secret of the Silver Blades and then again into Pools of Darkness, for one ultra-epic adventure. The Krynn trilogy also works this way and the same can be said for Bard's Tale and Wizardry.

Thus, it's simply not true to say "no other series has done it quite like Baldur's Gate".

These games are available now on GOG to run on modern machines, so I suggest you check 'em out for yourself. :)

On the subject of Pillars of Eternity II, I'm happy enough that Obsidian avoid the power-gaming challenges and pitfalls that come with creating high-level adventures.
So I don't particularly mind if the story is a new one from level 1; as it'll be interesting to see the expansion of the lore within the IP regardless. The story and character connections themselves to the original game will also be very interesting.

Back
Top Bottom