Weird West - Gameplay Interview

Why is it always supernatural? Is the standard Old West not good enough for folks? I'd prefer it, myself.

I love weird west....this is almost my shadows of brimstone computer game:)

I'm building a Weird West mod right now in NWN. I might just call the server that. Its technically Steam Punk but I want to emphasize its more Wild Wild West than Jules Verne or Arcanum.

I am told Boot Hill was boring because a) you get killed too easy and b) there was no variety. It was all just gunfights.

Why is it always supernatural? Is the standard Old West not good enough for folks? I'd prefer it, myself.

I like the blend, but I also agree that a straight Western setting would be very welcome in an RPG. Desperados 3 has a few fantastical elements (like a mind control power), but it's played mostly straight, and the reviews are very good.

Lucky, by "Boot Hill" are you referring to the old TSR RPG? In my experience, all RPGs can be boring and just fights if you have players and a DM who lack imagination, and they can all be varied and fun if you have people who want to roleplay and not just roll dice and kill things.

I'm building a Weird West mod right now in NWN. I might just call the server that. Its technically Steam Punk but I want to emphasize its more Wild Wild West than Jules Verne or Arcanum.

I am told Boot Hill was boring because a) you get killed too easy and b) there was no variety. It was all just gunfights.

Nonsense. You could roleplay in Boot Hill. I was a fan of Boot Hill. Perhaps it's a question of personal taste. :)

Yeah, I could definitely go for a proper RPG in a straight Western setting. Tons of potential.

Well, it's not a straight up Western at all... more like a Western filtered through Monty Python, but West of Loathing is a pretty good RPG in a Western-like setting.

When I get the itch, I do the roleplaying in my head in Red Dead Redemption II.

I suppose you are right. I had considered but quickly rejected the idea of a straight Western mod because it meant completely overhauling the engine I've seen others go down that rabbit hole before. That said, I like Weird Western.

Some people don't like mixing genres at all. I know I don't like magic in Shadowrun. I want to play Cyberpunk, not orcs in cyberspace.

I like the blend, but I also agree that a straight Western setting would be very welcome in an RPG. Desperados 3 has a few fantastical elements (like a mind control power), but it's played mostly straight, and the reviews are very good.

Lucky, by "Boot Hill" are you referring to the old TSR RPG? In my experience, all RPGs can be boring and just fights if you have players and a DM who lack imagination, and they can all be varied and fun if you have people who want to roleplay and not just roll dice and kill things.

Nonsense. You could roleplay in Boot Hill. I was a fan of Boot Hill. Perhaps it's a question of personal taste. :)

Back
Top Bottom