The ever-popular "Currently Listening" thread

The overly dramatic stuff usually turns me off. Minimalist hypnotic stuff is more my style.
If you dislike "overly dramatic" music, perhaps you may like impressionistic music from composers like Claude Debussy and Maurice Ravel.

A very famous and great work is Prélude à l'après-midi d'un faune by Debussy.

Last edited:
I assume you are already familiar with Erik Satie's Gnossiennes. If not, you should definitely check it out.

If you like tranquil piano music, you may like this: A Tear by Modest Mussorgsky.

On the other hand, you will probably NOT like this: A Night on Bare Mountain (piano version) also by Mussorgsky. :)

And you will probably HATE this: Piano Sonata Nr.5 by Alexander Scriabin. :D

ALSO, bringing up the energy a little bit, just a few splashes of drama.

Dvorak - Romance for piano and violin, Op.11
Didn't know this piece. I Like it.

More lively and polyphonic (not minimal but repetitive with variations on a theme)…

Bach - Brandenburg Concerto No. 5 in D major BWV 1050 - 1. Allegro
Bach, repetitive??? …Does …Not …Compute

Here is the famous Prelude in C Major by Bach. Just a single monophonic melody yet he manages to get so much out of it.

By repetitive, I meant melody being repeated, but of course in different forms… :)
If you like tranquil piano music, you may like this: A Tear by Modest Mussorgsky.

The first part is nice; at the second faster part, I lose interest.
On the other hand, you will probably NOT like this: A Night on Bare Mountain (piano version) also by Mussorgsky. :)

And you will probably HATE this: Piano Sonata Nr.5 by Alexander Scriabin. :D

Yep, not my style.
Didn't know this piece. I Like it.

Cool. :)
Here is the famous Prelude in C Major by Bach. Just a single monophonic melody yet he manages to get so much out of it.

Yes, another of my favorites. :)

Last edited:
Check this one out, it has a 90's sound to it, a bit.

Yes, nice. Solar Stone is a name I haven't seen in a long time. One of my favorite groups from the great Hooj Choons label. Below was one of their early hits that I liked quite a bit back then (and still do). About when I stopped collecting 12" vinyl singles. A soothing gradual builder, hymn-like.

Solar Stone - Seven Cities (Atlantis Mix) - 1999

and more peaceful yet…

Solar Stone - The Calling (Still Waters Mix) - 1996

and I have to add another goody I had forgotten about , but just takes me back...

Solar Stone - Day By Day

Later they sort of left dream trance for more mainstream trance…

You know some of the vinyl rip textures sound better for this sort of music, though the stereo separation is sacrificed…
And if you like minimalistic sounds Mehmet Akar-The Light Goes On , promises, a nice little gem.

Very cool. I like the chunky beats and the echoey keys. Not so much the the later whining synth. Still good. :)

EDIT: Funny what youtube will take you too. This one I like even more.

Mehmet Akar - Seni Seviyorum

Last edited:
Yes, nice. Solar Stone is a name I haven't seen in a long time.

Later they sort of left dream trance for more mainstream trance…

You know some of the vinyl rip textures sound better for this sort of music, though the stereo separation is sacrificed…

I did not know Solar Stone goes back all the way from the 90's. Sheesh!

Someone told me that before, that vinyl sounds better.

I have no problem with the whining synth. :) I think the whole track goes well together as it is. On YT, there is everything... :)

I think this will catch your liking(there is no whining) :) , Damabiah-Sur les Genoux de l'Automne
I like it pretty much.
And Airbase feat Floria Ambra-Denial, sweet track, heard it first in a Tiesto's mix, back then when Tiesto played good music.

Both very nice!
Someone told me that before, that vinyl sounds better.

For example: 1st is the original pressing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=204dVQ53FEA

Not very clear. Hooj Choons pressings were not very good sometimes. But it has a certain warmth, and more dimensionality than this later reissue

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5fhxQSWC6Fk

It's much clearer and you can hear lot more details. But sounds more clinical and harsh.

Hard to choose. But I think I'd rather hear more even if it's more harsh and less spatially interesting. But consider the original was engineered for vinyl not digital reproduction, and is probably more like the artist had intended it to be heard.

I did not know Solar Stone goes back all the way from the 90's. Sheesh!

Ha! Have you seen his Soundcloud page? So many songs I gave up scrolling...

https://soundcloud.com/solarstone

Last edited:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5fhxQSWC6Fk

It's much clearer and you can hear lot more details. But sounds more clinical and harsh.

Hard to choose. But I think I'd rather hear more even if it's more harsh and less spatially interesting. But consider the original was engineered for vinyl not digital reproduction, and is probably more like the artist had intended it to be heard.

Ha! Have you seen his Soundcloud page? So many songs I gave up scrolling…

https://soundcloud.com/solarstone

I'll stand by the second one. Because it does sound more clear and definitely you can hear more details in the music…which is good, because instruments are layered nicely. I really like clean tones.

The digital age really gave us nice things and it is easier to store files ( in this case music), a suiting comfort, but at the same time it took away a certain depth and connection with music (music listening). It is different, no doubt.
Although FLAC files are very good and veeery clean sound…which I like. :)

42 tracks on SoundCloud, nice, and many are mixes, some 1h+ long.
Richard still doing his thing. :)

Also a big proponent of the "pure trance" movement. Heard of it?

EDIT: Ah now you've got me on mission to find all my old Hooj Choon favorites from around 1996.

This one just floated my boat. Bit of a trancey vocal stormer.
JX - There's Nothing I Won't Do (JX Original Mix) - 1996

Ah the memories…
The Space Brothers - Shine (Original Mix) - 1997

Another strong one by the bros.
The Space Brothers - Forgiven (I Feel Your Love) - 1997

Oh well, youtube is leading me away from my mission. I must stop. But this fantastic tune still gives me spine tingles. The original and many remixes are excellent. Hard to pick a favorite among them

Binary Finary - 1998 (Original) - 1998
Binary Finary - 1998 (Paul Van Dyk Remix) - 1998

Yikes, that's enough for now.

Last edited:
For more minimalist, less electro I lean heavily to Philip Glass. Been lucky enough to see two different performances of Einstein on the Beach - just utterly #@$$&%#@! amazing!
First heard it on the very early 80s and never expected to see a performance due to tyranny of distance so just wow.

Promo video for from latest one I saw - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RPPKxxerrE8

Nice find Thrasher!
Space Brothers-Shine, really shines. It's a gem.
Binary Finary-1998 is awesome, I am leaning more to the original...but the best version for me is 1999 , and not because it says so in the title. For me it is really the most polished and well mixed version,and always listened to this one.

I should do my own "digging", all the old stuff I have it is on cassette tapes, and they are on the attic. LOL!
But I did find some old CD's and found some good stuff.
Hydro-Utopia
Nalin & Kane-Open Your Eyes
Ice Mc-Think About The Way
Blank & Jones-Cream (1999), because of this track I started to listen Trance. :)
Blank & Jones-Desire

Pure Trance movement? Well, I know it now. And, hope he keeps up the good work.

The other day jazz pianist Paul Bley died, and I listened heavily to his albums 'Closer' and 'Open, To Love'.

Here is 'Ida Lupino', written by his ex-wife Carla Bley, quite a remarkable composer in her own right ...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=EYnrtXiA0TA

From there I had an urge to listen to some Lyle Mays (pianist best known for his work with Pat Metheny's Group). Here is the great song 'Slink' from his solo debut album:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JQrgE8hF8Qw

David Bowie has released a new album. Here's the title track:

Just one word: WOW!! (no it's not that MMO which I won't mention).

Good album.

Last edited:
Binary Finary-1998 is awesome, I am leaning more to the original…but the best version for me is 1999 , and not because it says so in the title. For me it is really the most polished and well mixed version, and always listened to this one.

Nice! The Kaycee remix is also quite beautiful and wonderful, and I agree it's the most polished. The others have more emotional impact for some reason. It's the composition, I think.
Cool! Sounds like Robert Miles.
Reminds me of this classic also.

Jam & Spoon - Right in the Night
Yes, good, and of course the classic from them

Nalin & Kane - Beachball (Extended Vocal Mix)
Reaching back further. Love those old school stabs. Reminds me of a favorite. I'll post if my mind triggers.
Blank & Jones-Cream (1999) because of this track I started to listen Trance. :)
Blank & Jones-Desire
Good strong tracks both. :)
From there I had an urge to listen to some Lyle Mays (pianist best known for his work with Pat Metheny's Group). Here is the great song 'Slink' from his solo debut album:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JQrgE8hF8Qw

Very nice! Bookmarked this one. :) youtube led me to this, which is also quite nice

Lyle Mays---Alaskan Suite-Ascent
Nice selection there. I had forgotten about the Sympathy for the Devil sample. :)

Which led me to this classic.

Stone Roses - Fools Gold (full version)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom