Underrail - Experimental Branch

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
Underrail is releasing a major update for testing via the experimental branch according to the latest update.

Experimental Branch with Version 1.0.3.13

Thursday, 07 December 2017 13:21

Hi guys, we are releasing a new major update of the base game on the experimental branch. If everything goes as planned, we'll be releasing it to the main branch as well soon.

To play experimental branch on Steam, you right click the game in your library and go to "Betas" tab. To do so on GOG, you select the game and choose More->Settings. Make sure you don't override all your live version saves just in case something goes horribly wrong.

We have new creatures, items and feats.

[...]

Mechanics

• Added the global map
  • Added DOMINATING difficulty, mechanically it inherits the modifications of hard difficulty and also increased NPC health by 50% and skill levels by 30%.
  • Changed the way hit change display handles oscillating lighting or otherwise dynamic lighting. This also should fix some anomalies like the hit chances changing when saving/loading or transitioning.
  • Removed cooldown for arming traps
  • Removed cooldowns from lockpicking and hacking
  • Reduced the time it takes for the game to yield the control back to the combatant after he kills the target; it doesn't wait for scrolling text and sounds to end now
  • Hostilities will now instantly be triggered when you've been detected lockpicking (instead of at the end of the action)
  • Increased the damage of chemical pistols by 50% (will be applied retroactively on exisiting items)
  • Ground fire will now remove cryogas
  • Starting pickpocketing (opening the pickpocketing window) will now require a certain amount of pickpocketing skill depending on the target's detection so not every character can inspect any NPC's inventory (without killing them!)
  • Targets will no longer be able to block (in regular way) if stunned, incapacitated or frozen
  • You can now unload chemical pistols
  • As long as you haven't been fully detected by a NPC, that NPC's detection will be reduced back to zero when you get back into an area where you've been sneaking
  • Uncanny Dodge will no longer work while you're stunned or incapacitated in some way
  • Dirty Kick will now be subject to Uncanny Dodge and other special defense mechanisms
  • You can now root turrets (which makes them susceptible to acidic entanglement)
  • On normal difficulty and above, transitioning between areas (red transitions) will now cost action points
  • Improved NPC pathfinding slightly
  • Primary non-mechanical damage (not caused by on-hit effect) on melee weapons will now scale with weapon skill (like the bio damage on The Claw), but will no longer scale with strength
  • On hard difficulty EMP will drain energy (and subsequently deal damage to the holder) from all items in the inventory (not just equipped ones)
  • Reduced the ranged weapon precision reduction from low light slightly
  • Antidote will now randomly choose the order of poison removal, instead of going in the order they were applied
Tweaks

• Turn-based mode will no longer automatically end at the end of the turn if there are incapacitated enemies near
  • Reduced the alpha on energy shields
  • Removed the movement animation reseting when rapidly clicking (there's still a very slight stutter if you click very fast, though)
  • You cannot change armor suit while in stealth or while stealth is on cooldown on hard difficulty or above
  • Turrets will now drop aggro faster
  • Getting additional burning damage will reset the burning debuff remaining time
  • New combat taunts for military personnel
[...]
More information.

Finally looks like a real Underrail I wanted from the beginning. DOMINATING difficulty, hell YEAH!

Finally looks like a real Underrail I wanted from the beginning. DOMINATING difficulty, hell YEAH!

Ouch. That sounds painful to me, think I'll stick to normal...

Loved the mechanics in this one - but it didn't seem to have much beyond combat and those great mechanics.

Remind me, how's the story and what's the exploration like?

Any fans know if he's showing any signs of bending on the idea of changing the unpopular endgame?

Loved the mechanics in this one - but it didn't seem to have much beyond combat and those great mechanics.

Remind me, how's the story and what's the exploration like?

The Story is actually decent and has a fun twist. What I feel is lacking is rather the lore. There's very little information as to why the world looks like it does and what lead up to it. At least that was my experience. Some of the quests are pretty interesting, I won't spoil by giving examples.

The exploration is decent too, although it would have been more fun to me if everything didn't look quite so samey. Oddity experience mode is a lot more fun to me since you can stealth past hard enemies and still get rewarded with oddities and nice loot.

Anyone disagree?

The Story is actually decent and has a fun twist. What I feel is lacking is rather the lore. There's very little information as to why the world looks like it does and what lead up to it. At least that was my experience. Some of the quests are pretty interesting, I won't spoil by giving examples.

The exploration is decent too, although it would have been more fun to me if everything didn't look quite so samey. Oddity experience mode is a lot more fun to me since you can stealth past hard enemies and still get rewarded with oddities and nice loot.

Anyone disagree?

Ok, sounds a little better than I expected.

I guess I need to give it another shot soonish.

Thanks.

Anyone disagree?
More of the lore is given if you access certain parts of the game (and it makes sense those parts have more lore), but most of the general population is clueless as to what happened and so is the player.
This is not a post apocalyptic society but a post post apocalyptic one.

Story is cool and mostly left to players to decide on how much and how fast they want to access it. It is never pushed in your face and it does not lead you by your little kiddy hand like most games do.

Exploration is cool for kind of players that don't expect candy as a reward for opening every new door. It is kind of exploration where you run around and find not much most of the time and then it makes it more cool when you do find cool stuff.
I would compare it to DayZ where you search houses for that gun and bullets but keep finding clothes and bandages and foodstuff and at best some melee weapons. But when you do find a proper weapon it feels awesome.

As for Oddity system, it makes the game harder as you cannot farm XP.

As for Oddity system, it makes the game harder as you cannot farm XP.

I think it's a great system and one that more developers stood have a look at. I tried playing with regular exp but I just found the Oddity system much more rewarding, didn't know it is regarded as harder. Farming is not fun anyway.

Anyone disagree?

Exploration and lore are fine. Styg doesn't need to tell us more yet. Why does everyone need to know everything in every RPG starting from day 1? It's possible to tell compelling stories without informing the player of every last minor thing.

Exploration and lore are fine. Styg doesn't need to tell us more yet. Why does everyone need to know everything in every RPG starting from day 1? It's possible to tell compelling stories without informing the player of every last minor thing.

So true. Thanks for reminding me.

I don't mean it needs to dump lore on the player, and the factions and their motivations are perfectly fine. What I would likes to know is more background about what happened to make the society look like it does in the tunnels, preferably by things like computer logs (since most people don't have a clue it would be immersion breaking of they dumped lore on you).

I freaking love the game and have several hundred hours spent on it, that doesn't mean I can't find things I would like more of.

Last edited:
I loved exploring in this game. I did normal exp and I thought that was well done. The oddity exp seemed intriguing but I just like killing stuff too much :) I hardly ever play stealth characters. This is the one game where that hurt me in the Deep Caverns. My rifle expert who was also a grenade master really took a beating down there.

It was just too much for me and I pretended the game was finished at the elevator down to the caverns. I guess a game can have too much combat when an area is that frustrating.

Well they do sound like decent changes. But without a fix to the Deep Caverns, I feel there's little point in playing it any further.

Back
Top Bottom