The Authentic RPG and its Tragic Demise @ Critical Gamer

I'd just like to point out to the "middle-tier" games.

Not AAA, not Indie either ... some of them can be fruitful.
Like King's Bounty, like Drakensang, like Two Worlds ...

Basically I think your being far too harsh on indies or haven't played enough of them. They are doing new things all the time. If it doesn't happen to appeal to you then seriously you are being a little too demanding. Indies are where we will see all kinds of innovation. Whether it's Minecraft, Darwinia, Aurora, Frayed Knights, Dead State, World of Goo, Cthulhu Saves the World, AOD, Solium Infernum, Armageddon Empires, Depths of Peril (Din's Curse isn't that different from any other Diablo clone out there, but Depths of Peril was something different and awesome), Eschalon, Devil Whiskey, Omega Syndrome, Darkwind, Dwarf Fortress, Rogue Survivor, Avernum, Geneforge (now come on that is one fun game that is definitely different ), Nethergate, Aztaka, Knights of the Chalice, I really could keep going on and on if you want There are a lot of different games out there and a lot of good ones as well as a lot of not so good ones, but like in the 80's people are throwing everything at the wall and seeing what sticks.

Well, let's stick to what has been released :)

Now, I don't really care about games like World of Goo - as I'm not a fan of cute little toy-games, no matter how inventive they are. I know that sounds belittling, and I don't mean it to. I think it's fantastic that people are getting new ideas, but I'm just being honest when I say I really don't like that kind of puzzler platform game.

As for the rest, most of them are retreading VERY familiar ancient ground - like Eschalon, Avernum, Geneforge, Knights of the Chalice, Devil Whiskey - and so on. If you think that's new - then I don't know what to say. I guess you must have missed Ultima and Bard's Tale during the 80s ;)

Some of those you mention, I haven't tried - so I can't really comment.

Depths of Peril was interesting - but ultimately too unattractive and clunky. That was one of my main points about indies - that they're technically inferior.

Din's Curse, whilst also very familiar - IS actually doing a lot of new things in terms of the living town with unpredictable AI behavior. That's new in the action RPG genre.

Dead State hasn't been released yet, and I admit it does look very interesting. But let's wait until it's actually out ;)

AoD = the same.

I'm not saying indies aren't great, and in fact I DID say they're great. I'm just saying they haven't been replacing AAA level innovation - or anything near that kind of thing. Production values matter, and resources matter.

I'm sure we'll see the occasional TRUE gem, but I don't see anything like - say - a true System Shock successor, or a next-gen Wizardry anywhere on the horizon.

People tend to think of indie developers as some kind of heroes, because they're the only ones focused on gameplay. The thing is, that they have no choice but to focus on gameplay or cute ideas. But I don't for a second think they're heroes in general, because they're not redoing the same game over and over and over for the sake of the art. They're just making a living, and that's fine - but hardly heroic.

But I'm really not impressed by seeing 20 year old designs being redone indefinitely. It's nice, yes, and it's VERY nice when done well - but it's not enough.

That said, I'm trying to make my own indie game, and I'm fully aware that I'm not going to take the genre forward much. I'm trying to innovate in what small way I can, given my resources, but it's not exactly going to be a true evolution. I'm too small for that - and there's no way around it. I'm saying this to make it clear that I'm not putting indie developers down, or blaming them for anything. I'm just saying why I don't think of them as saviors of our beloved genres.

As long as resources = money, and money = audience - true innovation will be very rare.

As long as resources = money, and money = audience - true innovation will be very rare.

This might be true at the moment, but completely unnecessary. Like I said before, there were always people unafraid of this $$$ mantra, sometimes with great results.
And - outside rpg`s - there still are (Braid, Flower, etc)

I`m happy with games like AOD or KOTC (especially), they can keep making them till the next century. But of course it`d be nice to see some new angles too, and indies don`t really have the "company pressure" excuse. They`re supposed to be independents, daring mavericks not tied down by some vision of grand jackpot at the end.

This might be true at the moment, but completely unnecessary. Like I said before, there were always people unafraid of this $$$ mantra, sometimes with great results.
And - outside rpg`s - there still are (Braid, Flower, etc)

I`m happy with games like AOD or KOTC (especially), they can keep making them till the next century. But of course it`d be nice to see some new angles too, and indies don`t really have the "company pressure" excuse. They`re supposed to be independents, daring mavericks not tied down by some vision of grand jackpot at the end.

I think the point is that I don't want to play the same game indefinitely, and my idea of evolution is quite different from yours.

When Ultima Underworld came out, it was true evolution. When System Shock came out, it was true evolution. When Deus Ex came out, it was true evolution.

That's the kind of evolution I'd like to see, and I'd like to see such games taken FORWARD - not being spiced up visually and dumbed down in terms of challenge or complexity.

Age of Decadence looks really great for an indie, and I'm sure it will be a fun game. But it's also relatively rare to have an indie of that caliber, and even as it is, it's hardly much of an evolution over Fallout.

Developers are afraid because of the money, and the money-people don't understand game design - so they're not going to fund something that isn't a surefire success. That's a common enough problem in every industry - and the people on top are rarely about the actual work being done, but rather about staying on top. The bigger a corporation gets, the less creative it becomes.

But, I personally think there is potential in true evolution - and what we need is a bunch of developers who understand game design - with financial support. What we're witnessing today, is everyone scrambling to make extremely similar games that innovate only in the slightest ways - and the focus is always on the spectacle. They look at the success of other people, and they try to clone that and give it a slightly new spin - so they can claim innovation.

But if they understood game design, they'd be able to actually evolve it - and come up with something truly new - EVEN with familiar concepts. This is what I'm hoping for in the coming years - and I think games like Deus Ex 3 might be one of the first signs of actually evolving the genres.

The perceivement of Indie games is always a risk.

Aztaka, for example, was quite harshly despised by several people in this forum for being different to most RPGs are.
These people just believe that RPGS MUST MUST MUST adhere to a certain form of presentation - and from this MUST they expressed their complete disdain for this game ... innovation being thrown at by rotten tomatoes.

For a big nd huge company like EA, this is nothing but a tiny Sting into the flesh.

For an Indie developer, this kind of harassment can be the Death Blow.

Which implies, by the way, that these people expressing their "disgust" of the mere form of presentation ("sidescroller !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11111111!!!11111") are willing to take the risk of destroying an Indie developer by by-mouthing their game ... They don't care or even accept it as "punishment" that an Indie developer gets bancrupt because they just "don't want sidescrollers !!!!1111!!!111!!!11!!!"

To me, this pure will to destroy, to "kill" a small company is quite disturbing.
And that only because of a belief-system that RPGs MUST MUST MUST adhere to a standarised form of presentation ...

I think the point is that I don't want to play the same game indefinitely, and my idea of evolution is quite different from yours.

It`s not that different. Think you misread that thing about AOD - I meant that on one hand i`m happy with some people writing games (like AOD) to that same ol`template - but on the other I`d like some OTHER people to start evolving/innovating in some OTHER projects. It`s not an exclusive feeling.

Its hard to define this whole evo-inno-tion thing…boundaries are blurry, for when is it evolution and when innovation? I think UU was a total innovation - nothing like it before, same for System Shock. But Deus Ex was more of an evolution of SS. Thief - inno or evo…ahh headache :) (Bioshock - easy = devo:)

We`re definitely overdue some new stuff though. When was the last time something really earth-shattering happened in videogaming? On scale of GTA`s world , or H-L 2`s physics let`s say? It all settled in a comfortable-but-oh-so-boring cycle… But this big stuff is certainly innovation and might be difficult. For lack of significant evolution, there`s no excuse.

In Rpg`s it`s all the same, or maybe even worse. Sure, there are great games but they all thread waters so familiar it`s not even funny any more. But, thats the Fear again. It`s not even that we`re stuck with the same game mechanics (or worse, they`re being simplified) even the settings never change. Why all fantasy has to be medieval-ish ?

So ok , bigger studios are under corporate boot (butt ?:) and so will evolve nothing. But thats where smaller studios/individual devs come in. KOTC was written by one person, ok? They don`t need big bucks involvement, just be a bit brave…and if the project flops, so what? It`s not really end of the world, and at least you tried.

I wish I could share your optimism towards DeusEx 3. From what I`ve seen so far it will be at best solid but hardly innovative. But, we`ll see, hope I`m wrong.

I wish I could share your optimism towards DeusEx 3. From what I`ve seen so far it will be at best solid but hardly innovative. But, we`ll see, hope I`m wrong.

Oh, I doubt it will be all that innovative - but there's a chance they'll do something beyond the original Deus Ex. It's just the feeling I'm getting, but I'm not naive enough to think they'll take a big risk.

If nothing else, I think they'll stick with the original formula enough to please me, and add enough "content" in terms of upgrades/weapons to make it interesting.

I'll be severely disappointed if it's not a good game.

Well, let's stick to what has been released :)

As for the rest, most of them are retreading VERY familiar ancient ground - like Eschalon, Avernum, Geneforge, Knights of the Chalice, Devil Whiskey - and so on. If you think that's new - then I don't know what to say. I guess you must have missed Ultima and Bard's Tale during the 80s ;)

Some of those you mention, I haven't tried - so I can't really comment.

Depths of Peril was interesting - but ultimately too unattractive and clunky. That was one of my main points about indies - that they're technically inferior.

Din's Curse, whilst also very familiar - IS actually doing a lot of new things in terms of the living town with unpredictable AI behavior. That's new in the action RPG genre.

Dead State hasn't been released yet, and I admit it does look very interesting. But let's wait until it's actually out ;)

AoD = the same.

Like I said too harsh and your standards are too high. Depth's of Peril was more than just interesting, but you can't get over the graphics. Ok, that's your choice. You lose out on a truly wonderful game though.

KOTC absolutely brilliant combat simulator. Not just a simple retreading, but an improvement in every sense of the word. I've waited a long time for AIs to get that good.

Devil Whiskey may be ancient ground, but how many Bard's Tale/Wizardry games blob type games are being made anymore? They did try to improve it in some ways like with crafting, but in the end the bugs and lack of support (devs just disappeared) hurt that game.

You didn't mention Omega Syndrome? 50s style Fallout spy game. Granted you can't buy it anymore, but that one is a lot of fun.

Cthulhu Saves the World??? Not one jab at that one. That is on about as familiar ground as you can get being a JRPG, but the wit and setting are what sets it apart from the pack.

Dwarf Fortress, if you say this is familiar grounds then this conversation is over. Your standards are way to high then. That game is brilliant. Difficult to get into and learn, but absolutely brilliant.

Ledgermain (didn't mention this one and I should have) taken the old Rogue setting and imrpoved it with an actual story. Great game.

I could go on and on and on and frankly I feel like I'm just pointing out the obvious. Some take games and improve them. Some don't. Some offer something new and some just give you what is not being made available anymore. Which is fine by me. I would love to see more Dungeon Keeper, X-Com (real x-com), blob style rpgs, or even just good ol' fashioned party tb rpgs. I'm happy with that.

Oh well, try out a few that I mentioned that you didin't play. Especially if you like strategy games then try out Solium Infernum or Armageddon Empires. Nice artwork and interesting gameplay. You will need a few tries to get used to the rules though. Especially with Sollium Infernum. That is not your trypical strategy game at all. It's all about political maneuvering in hell :) Great game or Dominions 3. Extremely complex rule system. Combat leaves something to be desired, but it's decent enough.

That does it for my cheer leading for indies. I can't really say anymore other than you are missing out, but everyone is different. Like I can still play the old goldbox games or new modules made for FRUA (Forgotten Realms: Unlimited Adventures) and have a blast playing them. Not everyone can though and that's fine. Everyone is different after all ;)

Last edited:
Like I said too harsh and your standards are too high. Depth's of Peril was more than just interesting, but you can't get over the graphics. Ok, that's your choice. You lose out on a truly wonderful game though.

KOTC absolutely brilliant combat simulator. Not just a simple retreading, but an improvement in every sense of the word. I've waited a long time for AIs to get that good.

Devil Whiskey may be ancient ground, but how many Bard's Tale/Wizardry games blob type games are being made anymore? They did try to improve it in some ways like with crafting, but in the end the bugs and lack of support (devs just disappeared) hurt that game.

You didn't mention Omega Syndrome? 50s style Fallout spy game. Granted you can't buy it anymore, but that one is a lot of fun.

Cthulhu Saves the World??? Not one jab at that one. That is on about as familiar ground as you can get being a JRPG, but the wit and setting are what sets it apart from the pack.

Dwarf Fortress, if you say this is familiar grounds then this conversation is over. Your standards are way to high then. That game is brilliant. Difficult to get into and learn, but absolutely brilliant.

Ledgermain (didn't mention this one and I should have) taken the old Rogue setting and imrpoved it with an actual story. Great game.

I could go on and on and on and frankly I feel like I'm just pointing out the obvious. Some take games and improve them. Some don't. Some offer something new and some just give you what is not being made available anymore. Which is fine by me. I would love to see more Dungeon Keeper, X-Com (real x-com), blob style rpgs, or even just good ol' fashioned party tb rpgs. I'm happy with that.

Oh well, try out a few that I mentioned that you didin't play. Especially if you like strategy games then try out Solium Infernum or Armageddon Empires. Nice artwork and interesting gameplay. You will need a few tries to get used to the rules though. Especially with Sollium Infernum. That is not your trypical strategy game at all. It's all about political maneuvering in hell :) Great game or Dominions 3. Extremely complex rule system. Combat leaves something to be desired, but it's decent enough.

That does it for my cheer leading for indies. I can't really say anymore other than you are missing out, but everyone is different. Like I can still play the old goldbox games or new modules made for FRUA (Forgotten Realms: Unlimited Adventures) and have a blast playing them. Not everyone can though and that's fine. Everyone is different after all ;)

I think you keep missing the point about wanting mid-high level production values. I'm not denying there is the occasional indie trying genuinely new things, but if it's not followed by relatively modern standards - it breaks my immersion.

I did start out by saying I'm a demanding gamer :)

Dwarf Fortress is definitely a very creative indie, but one that I can't play because of the graphics. I can no longer get excited by ASCII characters or primitive tilesets - and I need something to aid my immersion. It doesn't take THAT much - but generally more than most indies can muster.

Eschalon is about the minimum I can't tolerate these days, and it's quite pretty for an indie. Unfortunately, the game itself is primitive and plays like something from 20 years ago. Not a bad thing, but unfortunately not enough to get me excited. I did spend most of my youth playing this kind of CRPG - so I've sort of been there, done that.

KotC is a really strong title, based on the demo - but unfortunately it was very low on character options and classes. It also seemed quite limited in scope. It's basically a combat engine with only the basic classes of D&D - and I didn't see much of an actual wholesome game. I mean to check back with it when they've added more stuff.

About Devil's Whiskey. I think Bard's Tale was a great game in the mid-late 80s. Today? Too primitive. I don't support that kind of thing just because it's nostalgic.

Omega Syndrome? Haven't tried it. Might check it out.

Dominions 3 is a very good example. Pretty fantastic game, actually. But again, it looks REALLY REALLY bad. I'm no art wizard, but I could make most of the needed visuals for that game in a way that looks A LOT better. It's like they're not even trying.

That's what I meant by not replacing AAA innovation.

You talk about choice, as if I could somehow choose what I like and what I don't like. Unfortunately, I don't work like that. If I did, I would never lament anything, because I'd just choose to accept what's there as enough. Then we wouldn't even need indies, because I could just choose to enjoy AAA mainstream games.

So could you, by the way - so your standards are way too high :)

You see my point, surely?

I'm really glad that indies can fill that empty space I'm sensing in the industry, for so many. But let's not try and make objective statements about what standards are too high or too low. That's like saying people are too much like they are. Most likely true, but can't really be helped :)

But it's KEY to understand that I'm not talking against indies in general. It's fantastic when innovation happens, and when people are taking chances - and promoting the art. I just don't see them as the savior of gaming or anything like that. I think many start out with the idea of doing great things, but most people end up exactly like AAA companies - as in being comfortable doing the exact same thing over and over. So many are just continuously updating the same game incrementally - which is hardly what we all really want.

Anyway, as you say, I think we've reached the end of this in terms of fruitful debate. Obviously, I demand a lot more than you do - but I can't help it.

In any case, I wish you a great time with indies in the future :)

I have reached the conclusion that the oversimplification/streamlining have ruined my interest in the hobby. Like the average sitcom they offer me very little of lasting value. It's like I always know the game before installing it, making it a waste of time. I have some games left to play but I think that after this summer I won't play games like I used to. I actually resorted to retrogaming the recent years to fill up the quota but now I have done the most beloved classics and the wells are drained.

There are Thousands of games out there. Anyone who thinks there's nothing good left for them to play is fooling themself.

For me its quantity > quality. There are so many older good quality games that nowadays I rather play them than many of the new games that are based on quantity.

Skyrim is one example. Do I really want to explore 200 copy-paste dungeons or say 10-20 handmade ones? TES series was my favorite once but its dropping out since I rather spend my time playing games that have better content.

I can do nothing but agree to JemyM in at least the first points he mentions.

There is a gab; and it is called : streamlined, mainstream-oriented games vs. complex games.

This looks much like "dumb vs. intelligent", but that's only masked, because "intelligent" can come with a "dumb" mask, too ...

We're on the road to fast food ...

Dominions 3 is a very good example. Pretty fantastic game, actually. But again, it looks REALLY REALLY bad. I'm no art wizard, but I could make most of the needed visuals for that game in a way that looks A LOT better. It's like they're not even trying.

Man, if you think this looks bad (for an indie) your standards are tad unrealistic. It`s got the looks of Shogun:Total War, and for an independent game that ain`t too bad in my book. (Also scores 8 on Out Of Eight - rather impressive)

I`v cured myself of this fear-of-pixels last year. Now I can pick up any old game with solid gameplay and REALLY enjoy it. In fact, I adore the old school graphics. It`s all in the mind, and if it was good enough then, it still might be, if you put yourself in the right mindset.

You can`t really expect from an indie dev to provide both mid-high production values AND innovative gameplay. I`d stick with gameplay, graphics be damned - for example some KOTC-like battle engine where you can cut off limbs, use simple terrain physics etc. It`s disappointing no one is trying things like that.

Man, if you think this looks bad (for an indie) your standards are tad unrealistic. It`s got the looks of Shogun:Total War, and for an independent game that ain`t too bad in my book. (Also scores 8 on Out Of Eight - rather impressive)

I`v cured myself of this fear-of-pixels last year. Now I can pick up any old game with solid gameplay and REALLY enjoy it. In fact, I adore the old school graphics. It`s all in the mind, and if it was good enough then, it still might be, if you put yourself in the right mindset.

You can`t really expect from an indie dev to provide both mid-high production values AND innovative gameplay. I`d stick with gameplay, graphics be damned - for example some KOTC-like battle engine where you can cut off limbs, use simple terrain physics etc. It`s disappointing no one is trying things like that.

I think it looks awful :)

Shogun looked great, except for the stick figures during combat. Incidentally, it was one of the reasons I didn't like it. The simplistic campaign structure in Shogun was another reason.

But I'm not expecting anything, and I'm not entitled to anything from the indies, except perhaps having an opinion about their work.

Dominions 3 is an example of a game I would love to play, if only the visuals didn't take me out of the experience. But I should note that I paid full price for it - which was something like 80$ at the time, so it's not like I didn't try!

I think it looks awful :)

Shogun looked great, except for the stick figures during combat. Incidentally, it was one of the reasons I didn't like it. The simplistic campaign structure in Shogun was another reason.

But I'm not expecting anything, and I'm not entitled to anything from the indies, except perhaps having an opinion about their work.

Dominions 3 is an example of a game I would love to play, if only the visuals didn't take me out of the experience. But I should note that I paid full price for it - which was something like 80$ at the time, so it's not like I didn't try!

dominions3theawakening_20070608160628.jpg

That doesn't look so bad to me.

That's an indie title? I'm not familiar with the game, but from that screenshot it looks pretty good for being an indie.

Dominions3 is excellent. Theres lots of detail in there. Dont let the first look graphics fail you. Also the game has a VERY THICK manual which alone speaks of the game.

I played it until I managed to beat the AI. It has a good multiplayer but Im not into multi so I skipped it.

In any case, I wish you a great time with indies in the future :)

Thank you.

Oh well, can't blame me for trying to bring the wonderful world of indies to you. :)

EDIT: The Omega Syndrome unfortuantetly isn't available anymore. I bought it when Dhruin posted they were shutting down the website where you could buy it.

I don't believe you would have liked it though. Graphics were too basic. We have an entry here in our games database. I really should update that with a description and screenshots. I still got the dang thing loaded. No reason I can't take some screenshots of it and load them up there.

Oh and Domnions 3 is brilliant, but has one huge flaw. I didn't care for the fact that I couldn't control my mages in combat. Not controlling the troops was fine. I've played enough Warhammer Fantasy Battle to figure out how to position my troops efficiently at the start of a battle. Still would have liked to be able to control them during combat. There are so many different things that can happen during a battle that you can't compensate for if you set all the orders ahead of time.

Mages on the other hand are a pain. There are all these outstanding spells, but no way to control which ones get cast DURING combat. You have to do all of it before combat begins and as we all know once a battle begins all your carefully laid plans go right out the window.

It's still better than games were you just have one unit knocking the hell out of another unit on the map. If they ever bring true MoM type TB battles to the game I'll be as giddy as a school girl.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom