SKALD: Against the Black Priory - Beta 1.1

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
The latest update for SKALD: Against the Black Priory - Beta 1.1:

Project Update: Beta 1.1.0

Hello everyone! Hope you all are enjoying your summer. July has been pretty sweet up here in Northern Norway for once, making it the perfect "stay at home" summer. But fear not: I've still gotten a ton done with SKALD, and it's now time for a new (minor) demo update!

Beta 1.1.0 is up for Backers!

The demo is still pretty short and adds about 20 minutes of game-play to the first iteration. It's still an important demo for me, since I've done a lot of work under the hood (as always) and now those features need play-testing.

I've also added some in-game features: Most notable is grid-based combat. That system is still pretty bare bones as I'm yet to add enemies, feats and spells that really take advantage of it, but you should non the less be able to get an idea and provide some feedback.
What do I need from play-testers?

Bugs first and foremost. This is by far the most important feedback you can provide for me at this point!

Typos are always welcome too. As are logical inconsistencies in dialogue and scene flows.

I also want to hear about game-play feature requests or feedback on existing features.

I'm not really super interested in stuff like "this was too easy" or "There needs to be more loot in the second area". It goes without saying that a lot of this is unpolished at the time and pacing etc will get a second pass as the whole first chapter begins to come together 🙂

As always, my preferred way of receiving feedback is via the SKALD Discord chat. Once there, look for the feedback sub-channels.

A Word of Caution

The demos, at this point, will usually break saves and force a restart with each demo iteration. This might seem like a chore BUT for play-testing this is essential. The scripting of the game can only be truly tested if the game is played from the start each time and this is super important to the final quality of the game.

So please be patient with me (I know you will)! Also, is play-testing feels like a hassle, it's 100% fine for you to just hang back and wait for the finished product!

[...]
More information.

Skipping this wall of text in the article… Going to YT.. entering game title into search field adding the word
gameplay
YT lists videos…. selecting Sort by Upload Date …. selecting LATEST video of this game.. WTF??? 160 views ??
•Feb 12, 2020 is the last gameplay video?? Why is the "Video Picture in Picture" so small??

Also they make this mistake on the UI as well! They place a large orange rectangle and they put in the small NPC portrait into a big black rectangle and they fail to scale up the TEXT area to the edges of the orange rectangle. WTF???!

Aren't they copying SSI game visual design, judging by the game-window frame? I had to go into photoshop, select that gold-cornered window frame and enlarge it to full screen. The fonts felt still too small. Haven't they seen the font-size in SSI games?? Jesus!

Okay.. got into their Discord Nest, dispensed feedback.

Skipping this wall of text in the article… Going to YT.. entering game title into search field adding the word
gameplay
YT lists videos…. selecting Sort by Upload Date …. selecting LATEST video of this game.. WTF??? 160 views ??
•Feb 12, 2020 is the last gameplay video?? Why is the "Video Picture in Picture" so small??

Also they make this mistake on the UI as well! They place a large orange rectangle and they put in the small NPC portrait into a big black rectangle and they fail to scale up the TEXT area to the edges of the orange rectangle. WTF???!

Aren't they copying SSI game visual design, judging by the game-window frame? I had to go into photoshop, select that gold-cornered window frame and enlarge it to full screen. The fonts felt still too small. Haven't they seen the font-size in SSI games?? Jesus!

Okay.. got into their Discord Nest, dispensed feedback.

Hey man :) Thanks for the feedback! A lot of the issues are either fixed by now or related to the quality of the video. Keep in mind, that the vid you're referring to is a programming tutorial and not intended to showcase the game. The criticism is nontheless valid and the biggest take-away for me is the importance of having high-quality, centrally placed video content!

In any case, thanks again for offering feedback!

AL

Back
Top Bottom