CD Projekt RED - Hit by Cyber Attack

I'm quite surprised someone paid 7 million for it. If you ever released a game with it, and CDPR suspected you, they could probably force discovery of your source code in court, and take you to the cleaners.

I'm not that surprised by the simplicity of the hack. IT security in most companies I've encountered has holes you could drive a bus through. I think the legacy of the early days is still with us, where security was an afterthought in the design, and it'll be a long time before there's solid security as standard. I saw this week that someone hacked into the Florida water supply, and tried to poison it.

What are the odds it was actually CDPR or an agent working for them? 7 million is not an overly significant amount of money to them, and they get their code back without having to admit they paid a ransom for it.

Yes, perhaps that was the game. The hackers bid up the prices themselves, and see how high they can can push CDPR. Sounds pretty plausible.

I'm still slightly surprised that it would have that much value, in general. Aside from the problems of getting caught using it, I'd have thought that most of CDPR's competitors already have advanced engines of their own, which could be turned to something similar easily enough.

get their code back without having to admit they paid a ransom for it.
There is no getting it back with digital assets. They had backups anyway and there is no guarantee the code wont show up in the future anyways. I doubt it was CDPR, but can't imagine someone else paying 7 millions either.

There is no getting it back with digital assets. They had backups anyway and there is no guarantee the code wont show up in the future anyways. I doubt it was CDPR, but can't imagine someone else paying 7 millions either.

I meant getting it back from the hacker so they no longer have it. I'm guessing you didn't read the stipulation of the auction?

Of course that doesn't guarantee the thief holds to it, but given the risks, I think they'd be pretty foolish if they didn't.

I'm more concerned that there's some rich idiot out there throwing cash at.....code? I mean, if I were a billionaire still I'd not throw that kind of cash at something like this, let alone it also being stolen. After this mentally challenged person gets caught, I'm nominating them for a Darwin award as well.

I meant getting it back from the hacker so they no longer have it. I'm guessing you didn't read the stipulation of the auction?

Of course that doesn't guarantee the thief holds to it, but given the risks, I think they'd be pretty foolish if they didn't.

I guess I was just stating the obvious that the hacker can always hold on to it.

In these situations the victims pay for their word that it won't be distributed further (as they have backups anyway).

Last edited:
Not in China.
In China the caught culprit would be beheaded, their organs transplated, their pets eaten and their family sold to slavery.

not really

Not in China.

Possibly. I don't know too much about it, but I think China has tightened up quite a bit on international copyright, as they saw their reputation as a barrier to progress. I'm sure they're still getting up to all sorts at the industrial/state level, but Western companies can sue relatively easily. I don't think you'd get away with using brazenly using stolen codebase, these days.

In China the caught culprit would be beheaded, their organs transplated, their pets eaten and their family sold to slavery.

not really

Yep. China's entire economy has been gleefully built on the stolen intellectual property of others. They encourage it, not enforce it.

Cyberpunk's code, if true, would be more than worth $7 mil in the largest gaming market in the world.

Back
Top Bottom