Zoria: Age of Shattering - Devlog Update: Progress so Far

Bethesda started it with FO4. At least that's the first RPG where I can remember wondering why I had to build stuff when I wanted to be adventuring.

I remember back then in BG2 where you could become the lord of your own Keep after clearing the trolls. It was pretty cool and enjoyable and other rpg developper got the cue. They never ceased to expand the concept, Pathfinder with its kingdom management and FO4 with its base building were the most extreme expansion of the concept for RPGs, imo. Honestly, I believe for both games it was a bit too much.

Wasteland 3 -> Your headquarter
Tyranny -> Your towers
PoE 2 -> Your ship
Elex -> Your village

etc etc.

I think there was even one of the old Might and Magics where you eventually acquired a keep and could expand it and clear it out. It wasn't very fleshed out but I still remember thinking it was fun at the time.

I'm definitely in the camp that likes base building. I get why a lot of people didn't like the Pathfinder kingdom layer, but even that added a lot to the game for me. Never played FO4 though, I've heard a lot of the base building there was more cosmetic which I don't think would appeal to me as much.

I remember back then in BG2 where you could become the lord of your own Keep after clearing the trolls. It was pretty cool and enjoyable and other rpg developper got the cue. They never ceased to expand the concept, Pathfinder with its kingdom management and FO4 with its base building were the most extreme expansion of the concept for RPGs, imo. Honestly, I believe for both games it was a bit too much.

Wasteland 3 -> Your headquarter
Tyranny -> Your towers
PoE 2 -> Your ship
Elex -> Your village

etc etc.

Yeah, those are good examples of the kind of bases I actually like in an RPG. I don't mind having a hub where your companions hang out, but I don't want my adventuring interrupted by the sudden need to maintain the base or defend it in some way.

I also liked the Battle Tower in Divinity II and the ships in Risen 2 & 3.

As long as the base building isn't more than 20-25% of the game, I can live with it. If it is the main feature and the other stuff takes a back seat, then I uninstall within the 2 hour limit and I always buy games with base-building elements on Steam for the easy refund option.

If I get to choose how much time I waste with it, ala Fallout 4, then that's cool. I normally skip almost 100% of that aspect in Fallout. I might make a shack with a bed, but the settlers are on their own or today I mod the game so the settlers actually build the settlement themselves. Some genius scripted the heck out of F4 to make that work.

It maybe worth time for the difficulty levels to have minimal base interaction as an option. Is that something you guys can look into?

We did not consider that because we feel the system should not / will not be hard to manage or take a lot of time.

These are the things we are aiming in the game:

- exploration and combat (most of the time)
- party setup depending on where you want to go/explore
- resource gathering and crafting gear, food, potions
- sending followers into missions (x-com)
- upgrade the outpost with the resources you gather while exploring and from missions - and these upgrades will, in turn, unlock quests/give rewards/give new followers/etc

Fane

Will keep an eye on this... looks promising.

Sounds a bit like X-Com itself, where the base building is actually a core part of the game mostly as a base where you gather your troops, gear them up, send them out for missions, do research/crafting etc.

Will check it out for sure when it is fully released.

Back
Top Bottom