Fallout: New Vegas - Magazine Summary @ DaC

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Duck and Cover has a summary of a Fallout: New Vegas preview from UK Xbox 360 World magazine. Here's a small excerpt:
  • The tagline says: "A Safe Bet for RPG Fans"
  • Hardcore mode: Stimpaks take a long time to heal, you need a Doctor's Bag to heal broken limbs, and you suffer from Dehydration so you need to carry water.
  • Dynamite is one of the first weapons you come across
  • Obsidian have focused much more on the story than Bethesda did with Fallout 3
  • VATS now includes a special attack for every weapon
More information.

Like the sound of the Hard Core mode.

Im really hoping the game still has an exploration aspect like Fallout 3 with a more focused storyline. Im playing through F3 now with a whole bunch of mods that make the game harder and more RPGish.....

"and you suffer from Dehydration so you need to carry water."

I like this.. i always use mods that makes use of hunger in Morrowind and Oblivion, i missed that in FO3 (im sure there are mods for it now though, havent played it in like year).

Sounds good! Let's hope they get enough time to polish it, though I suspect it'll be a game to remember no matter what.

"Obsidian have focused much more on the story than Bethesda did with Fallout 3"

And much more than PacMan on RPG elements !!!

Sounds great. I thought Fallout 3 had one of the best atmospheres and worlds among modern RPG:s but they did have too much focuse on killing things instead of talking to things.

"and you suffer from Dehydration so you need to carry water."

I like this.. i always use mods that makes use of hunger in Morrowind and Oblivion, i missed that in FO3 (im sure there are mods for it now though, havent played it in like year).

Im playing it right now with a bunch of mods and its quite fun. In my play with the mods it does require food and water or you lose stats due to hunger. I recommend playing with the following mods; XFO, MMM, AREFU expanded and return to shady sands.

This being said I agree with poster below who said the game focused a bit too much on killing things and not enough talking...I agree with that but its still heck of a lot of fun exploring around the wasteland.

Could you tell me more about those mods Saxon? Are they lore friendly? I thought Return to the shady sands wasn't which is why i skipped it.

Could you tell me more about those mods Saxon? Are they lore friendly? I thought Return to the shady sands wasn't which is why i skipped it.

Never tried Return to Shady Sands should be basically Shady Sands placed in the CW plus other old NPCs and quests. Sounded well-done but not lore-friendly from the description so I skipped it.
Arefu expanded is basically an expansion of the Arefu settlement.
XFO is a balance overhaul, never tried it as a standalone, but I use FWE that incorporates all of its changes plus adds a lot more and is completely togglable.
MMM is a monster overhaul, adds new monster, makes them more varied, with new tactics, randomises their color etc.. is it lore friendly? I'd say yes, as long as you don't bother of thinking how exactly some ghouls mutated the way they mutated and why wanamingos are present on the east coast (you can disable the latter though).
Of course I'm not Saxon but I hope this helped.

Thanks worstusernameever. Unfortunatedly those mods wont bring me back to Fo3.

kinda OT: Has anyone made an original music replacement mod for FO3?

For sure. There's a great collaborative effort that was advertised on NMA which is a nice alternative soundtrack for the game. From much darker, more ambient pieces, to sombre electronica and industrial/edgier tracks more in the spirit of Mark Morgan, it's arguably superior to the Inon Zur vision and more in line with the Fallout experience.

kinda OT: Has anyone made an original music replacement mod for FO3?

Yup, I'm actually using it right now. I believe Rogue Dao also collaborated.
You can find it on the Fallout 3 nexus or here or in countless other mirror I can't be bothered to find and link :p

The only part of this soundtrack replacement I don't like is the GnR replacement.

Yep, that above mod was created by some of the composers who has done music for Purgatorio, it's pretty good overall though I think a few tracks don't quite fit, and yeah I didn't like the GnR replacement either.

Back
Top Bottom