Undertale
Farcry 4
Firewatch
Divinity Original Sin
Just Cause 3
Astroneer
Path of Exile: Atlas of Worlds
--
Rush in and die, dogs…I was a man before I was a king.

BoboTheMighty

SasqWatch

January 2nd, 2017, 12:31
Eh, what? No Man's Sky ( even with all discounted) is still more expensive than most?

What do you have to say to that, eh Murray, hmm?

--

BoboTheMighty

SasqWatch

January 2nd, 2017, 13:22
I guess it says something about the gaming year when several of the games on that list was released in the middle of 2015.

GothicGothicness

SasqWatch

+1:

January 2nd, 2017, 13:35
Not only it says a lot about years it also says a lot about power of advertising and hype.
Take GTA5 for example which is a few years old mediocre racing sim with horrible helicopter controls and annoyingly repetitive content. If it wasn't marketed like crazy I doubt anyone would buy that crap. Well… Except Need4Speed fans.

The list contains also pay2betatest titles (Youtubers Life for example). If betatests can outsell completed games, IMO it's a disaster.
--
Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

January 2nd, 2017, 14:06
Glad dark souls and witcher are at the top; deus ex only silver? daaaamn
--
Favorite Game: Gothic II
Steam

porcozaur

S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

January 2nd, 2017, 14:42
Originally Posted by joxer View Post
The list contains also pay2betatest titles (Youtubers Life for example). If betatests can outsell completed games, IMO it's a disaster.
That is the essence of crowdfunded stuff.
--
Backlog:0

ChienAboyeur

SasqWatch

January 2nd, 2017, 14:55
Not really, it's, as I wrote, pay2betatest system. Crowdfunding does not mean betatesting. Sure, authors can share different early builds in crowdfunding but it's not the base idea nor is a must.

Valve's Early Access is set on the idea a customer does someone else's job and instead of being paid for it, that same customer pays to betatest. That's not crowdfunding.

That's just one of decadent trends in gaming industry. The list is growing:
- pay2betatest
- pay2win
- pay2praise/advertise
- gambling falsely advertised as videogame
- let customers patch the broken release instead of making official patches
- milking contentless DLC and timeshorting microtransactions
- pushing inferior hardware ice age designs on modern machines
- escape actual feedback / sell others' privacy data by insisting on social networks
- cowclicker(c)Zynga phenomenon

Did I forget something? Probably.
[EDIT]
I did forget. Maybe not just that but still.
- always online singleplayer that'll die once some CEO decides to shutdown servers
--
Toka Koka
Last edited by joxer; January 2nd, 2017 at 15:11.

joxer

The Smoker
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

+1:

January 2nd, 2017, 17:01
What to make of all this?

Good News: Three RPGs in Platinum (Dark Souls III, The Witcher 3 Wild Hunt, and Fallout 4). Two of those released last year, and one (Witcher) also having substantial non-PC sales via GOG not reflected in Steam Sales. The Elders Scrolls V: Skyrim (original release 2011) in silver category! Conclusion; gamers are still buying and playing well made RPGs, and in large quantities. Seems to me that perceived value in terms of substantial total playtime and perceived high quality for those hours, must be a big factor here.

Not So Good News: Deus Ex Mankind Divided only in Silver. Check Steamspy for total sales which stood at 431,000 on December 18, 2016, and jumped a whopping 29% to 555,000 by December 31, 2016 following a 66% price cut ($60 to $20). DXMD has IMO top notch gameplay but low total hours in range of 30-35 except for completionist players. Seems that gamers just aren't going to pay high retail prices for less than big total play hours. this reinforced IMO by 124,000 jump in sales when 66% discount decreased cost per hour of playtime to less than $1 ($20/30 hours).

The Big Picture: As pointed out by GothicGothicness, its remarkable that several of the steam winner games were not new this year. Stated differently, the overall number of new AAA RPGs has decreased greatly. IMO we're not going to see any big change to that in the future because of AAA game development cost (aka 'barrier to entry' in traditional economics terms). Fergus Urquhart summed it up to GamesIndustry.biz this way:

People have said that we should just crowdfund everything now, and I think we should crowdfund some stuff, but if we want to go and do something big we need to get that extra funding. We can't raise $30 to $50 million.

There remains a big outstanding question on how to recover the the $30 to $50 million investment. CDPR (Witcher) and Bethesda (Fallout 4 and Skyrim) have scored huge successes by focusing on total sales. FromSoftware recorcing a smaller but substantial success with 1.335 million total sales (ownership). DXMD development and profit approach of on-line gameplay and ingame microtransactions perhaps not the best approach.

Those huge long term sales are likely only going to come at very high development and advertising costs ($50 million plus) to make and sell large and high quality AAA RPGs. With those costs we likely will not see many new entries in the field IMO. I also believe that PC games in this category will virtually always have console counterparts to help offset the huge initial investment.

__
Last edited by RPGFool; January 2nd, 2017 at 17:26.

RPGFool

Sentinel

January 2nd, 2017, 18:02
Well done analysis RPGFool, enjoyed your write up on this.
--
Character is centrality, the impossibility of being displaced or overset. - Ralph Waldo Emerson

wolfgrimdark

Keeper of the Watch
Original Sin Donor

+1:

January 2nd, 2017, 19:20
It's a weird situation. If you Kickstart everything, you work with a very small budget. If you try to secure bigger funding, you're likely going to lose creative control to an extent and not be able to really do what you want, if you even can secure funding for your project. I have no idea what the solution is. I'm just happy we get the games we do currently. I don't need AAA RPGs to be happy as I'm still playing stuff from the past and a bunch of indie/smaller budget RPGs anyway.

Fluent

A Dungeon Dragon
RPGWatch Team

January 2nd, 2017, 19:29
Originally Posted by RPGFool View Post
Deus Ex Mankind Divided only in Silver. Check Steamspy for total sales which stood at 431,000 on December 18, 2016, and jumped a whopping 29% to 555,000 by December 31, 2016 following a 66% price cut ($60 to $20). DXMD has IMO top notch gameplay but low total hours in range of 30-35 except for completionist players.
Advertising sure had a hand in this, but not sure people are looking for long hours here. How many even finish them?
Deus Ex seems an odd bird… strong (and "memorable") name, brand quality( hell, based on first title alone), good setting, flexible gameplay ( appeal to wider audience)… but somehow can't hit a few million in sales.

They should ditch Jensen after this and give char creator and more customization options. Think that's holding it back from more "mainstream" success.
--

BoboTheMighty

SasqWatch

January 2nd, 2017, 21:03
Originally Posted by BoboTheMighty View Post
Advertising sure had a hand in this, but not sure people are looking for long hours here. How many even finish them?
Deus Ex seems an odd bird… strong (and "memorable") name, brand quality( hell, based on first title alone), good setting, flexible gameplay ( appeal to wider audience)… but somehow can't hit a few million in sales.

They should ditch Jensen after this and give char creator and more customization options. Think that's holding it back from more "mainstream" success.
Agree that detailed picture on DX:MD is puzzling. I'm currently leaning towards believing that the big missing factor here must have been DX:MD's overly demanding minimum specs. Net result is a much smaller potential audience\buyer pool, from the get go.

As to cost and total hours of gameplay, I think these work together to produce some sort of "game value" number. The major sales increase (percentage and total) due to $60-to-$20 DX:MD's price drop would seem to bear this out. Jensen (or 'old man Jensen) wasn't a total sales killer once the price dropped.

Looking at SteamSpy 'Audience Total' for average/median hours actually played we see DS2-83/50; W3 69/33 (surprise there); F4-110/58; DX:MD 26/18. Seems that this would generally indicate how well the game held value for audience, once acquired (how much did owners play with toy -- how quickly they became bored).

Total average and median hours played analysis is undercut somewhat by DOOM - average/median values of 16/10. Total sales of 1.4 million that jumped to 1.6 million after December holiday sale (same $60-to-$20 price drop here). I'm currently chalking the difference up to FPS being a different audience -- but its quite possible that advertising and minimum computer specs together account for at least part of the difference on the basis that they work together to define a much larger potential audience.

Thanks for your input BTW. and also thanks to others who have commented.
Last edited by RPGFool; January 2nd, 2017 at 21:34.

RPGFool

Sentinel

January 2nd, 2017, 21:35
Well done analysis RPGFool. Liked reading it!

Deus ex MD is a weird thing indeed. I think high system requirements explain something here. For instance, I myself need a new rig to play it, so I've been postponing my purchase for a while since I want to experience such game in the highest details possible. And personally I rarely buy any games for their full price. there is no shortage of great games nowdays. I'm not in a hurry.

Dez

Man with the hat
Original Sin 2 Donor

January 2nd, 2017, 23:45
It must be noted that TW3 is in the top group despite being available DRM free.

I'd really like to see some numbers from CDPR showing the share of sold units on Steam, GOG and elsewhere.
--
We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.
- George Bernard Shaw

Currently playing: Ember

Morrandir

SasqWatch
Original Sin 2 Donor

January 3rd, 2017, 05:13
Watch out folks, there's a thing… this is going by gross revenue. In other words, it's ranking by how many dollars (or whatever) got spent on the games. That means two big factors:

1. A $20 game has to sell three times as many copies as a $60 game.

2. Assuming they aren't doing some sort of weighted corrections, games that came out earlier in the year have a big advantage over more recent games. That makes Civ 6 a big surprise. (And seeing "free to play" games on there tells you exactly how "free" those games really are.)
--
The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views….
-- Doctor Who in "Face of Evil"

Zloth

I smell a… wumpus!?

January 3rd, 2017, 16:38
Except League of Legends I have yet to see another free2play game that's completely free when it comes to playable content and where all they charge are just decorations you don't need to experience the game.
All other so called free2play games I've seen are in fact pay2win. All. LoL isn't. Yes, in LoL you can pay to unlock some stuff if you want before earning enough ingame points for stuff, but it won't secure you any victory. In all other f2p garbage, to win all you need is a fat wallet.
--
Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

January 5th, 2017, 03:43
Dark Souls III is a RPG?
--
"… thing about Morrowind is we did far more than we could, far less polished than we should. It's a miracle that it works at all… there's too much, and it's like jazz… a product like Oblivion - far better software… but Morrowind… oh there's so much delicious nonsense in that." ~ words of wisdom by K.Rolston

luj1

Keeper of the Watch

+1:

January 5th, 2017, 04:58
Originally Posted by luj1 View Post
Dark Souls III is a RPG?
According to Chien or the scientists, you ask ?
--
Sou tricolor de coração!

Sie sind das Essen und Wir sind die Jäger!

henriquejr

Keeper of the Watch
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor

January 6th, 2017, 21:57
Originally Posted by joxer View Post
Except League of Legends I have yet to see another free2play game that's completely free when it comes to playable content and where all they charge are just decorations you don't need to experience the game.
Dead or Alive might fit that now, actually. A few months ago they released a free version. It's missing all but 4 of the fighters but those fighters can do the whole game. Oh - except Story mode. Honestly, that's a blessing. Imagine a "story" that's maybe 20 minutes long and has 30 main characters. Yuck.
--
The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views….
-- Doctor Who in "Face of Evil"

Zloth

I smell a… wumpus!?

RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » Steam top sellers of 2016