Eschalon: Book II - Now Available for Windows

Dhruin

SasqWatch
The highly-anticipated Eschalon: Book II has been released for Windows, with the disc version including Mac and Linux versions due in a couple of weeks. Grab the demo here and buy the game here. The official PR:
Basilisk Games Announces the Availability of Eschalon: Book II for Windows

Indianapolis, IN - May 12, 2010 - Basilisk Games, Inc. today announced that Eschalon: Book II for Windows is now available.

"We are thrilled to announce that the second book in the Eschalon Trilogy is now available for download" said Thomas Riegsecker, Lead Developer of the Eschalon series. "Fans are going to really enjoy the game enhancements and larger world. Book II is a big game!"

Eschalon: Book II is available now for Windows based computers. Basilisk Games will release the Macintosh and Linux versions of the game on May 26th, 2010. Eschalon: Book II for Windows can be purchased directly from the Basilisk Games website, and in the next few weeks from most major digital distribution services.

About Eschalon: Book II

Eschalon: Book II is the sequel to 2007's hit independent role-playing game, Eschalon: Book I. Continue your journey across massive outdoor environments and deep into twisted dungeons as you seek to uncover the mystery of your past and who is behind the menace that threatens all of Eschalon. No experience with the first game is needed to enjoy this second chapter in the Eschalon trilogy. More information on the game and links to the demo and video trailer can be found online at:
http://basiliskgames.com/eschalon_book_ii
Thanks to everyone who wrote in - the announcement came just after I had logged off for the day.
More information.

I bought the dvd version....comes witha cloth map! man I miss those:)

Yeah I think I made a mistake in reading that...oh well....great game playing it now...actually I think I have put in over 100 hours in this game total so far.

Bought the game and DVD, love this developer. Wish there were more like this....

Man a cloth map would be sweet, but too expensive to make for a small studio like this.

Yep, just installed the download while I await delivery of the DvD!!

Playing the demo right now, it is a blast.

The world actually seems big and worth exploring, it makes me wish more rpg games were done in 2D because you can make the world feel much more extensive than the rpgs done in 3D. I also like the overhead viewpoint too in these games.

I will definitely buy this when it comes to steam, impulse or gamersgate

Man a cloth map would be sweet, but too expensive to make for a small studio like this.

There has to be companies that print on cloth, right? Maybe take that high quality picture and order a cloth map separately?

If someone really feels like it I found a simple guide for printing on cloth with an inkjet printer: http://www.instructables.com/id/Inkjet-Printing-on-Fabric/

Just bought it, no regrets so far. It looks beautiful. it got however some grammar faults.

I will definitely buy this when it comes to steam, impulse or gamersgate
Why not directly from Basilisk (see link in Dhruin's post)?
I am downloading it now...

Why not directly from Basilisk (see link in Dhruin's post)?
I am downloading it now…

Because I can re-download it easily from those sources. I like to have my games from the same sources. Plus I want to finish Book I first, so might as well wait a bit.

Because I can re-download it easily from those sources. I like to have my games from the same sources. Plus I want to finish Book I first, so might as well wait a bit.
Well, just keep in mind who gets your money when you do this. I understand it's more convenient for you to go through Steam, but they're taking 30-40%* out of Basilisk's pocket. The file you get from Basilisk can be backed up to something as primitive as a CD and in fact I think you can re-download it from them later if you need to.

*I am not privy to the company's agreement, this is an estimate based on what I've read regarding other small developers using DD services.

I'll put in a good word for the download—very fast(>10 minutes, closer to 5) efficient and absolutely no problems with anything, and I'm not much of a download person. It's very convenient that you can order the hard copy and still play the game instantly while waiting for it.

Oh, and thanks to Basilisk for the female avatars. The game is now perfect. ;)

How similar is this to Book 1? I played that for a while but it just didn't hook me. I have hopes the second game will be more compelling.

Any other thoughts/reviews?

Well, just keep in mind who gets your money when you do this. I understand it's more convenient for you to go through Steam, but they're taking 30-40%* out of Basilisk's pocket. The file you get from Basilisk can be backed up to something as primitive as a CD and in fact I think you can re-download it from them later if you need to.

*I am not privy to the company's agreement, this is an estimate based on what I've read regarding other small developers using DD services.

I am aware of that, but comfort comes first (sadly). I like buying stuff straight from the source, but I tend to forget about games I don't see now and then. If I have it on steam, or something like that, I will remember it since every time I open it the name of the game will be there.

As a small comfort to myself I could always hope my purchase on a DD service pushes the game a bit higher on their sales lists, possibly increasing sales in the long term… (yeah, I know that is far fetched)

edit: It is already available at impulse at least.

Last edited:
How similar is this to Book 1? I played that for a while but it just didn't hook me. I have hopes the second game will be more compelling.

Any other thoughts/reviews?

I've had a press preview for a week, though I haven't had much time with it. So, take these comments with a grain of salt.

On the surface: very similar. A higher resolution, female avatars, some interface tweaks. More importantly, a bigger world, a stance choice in combat (choose a stronger attack, more precise attack, parry or normal) - makes a small difference but combat is still lacking, I think. I've seen a couple of quests that have different outcomes - that's the most promising thing and I hope that develops further.

The basic atmosphere and approach is essentially the same at this stage. I think fans will be in heaven and others, well, I'm not sure. Personally, I do very much enjoy the exploration.

I played the demo for 45 mins. Seems fun so far. Seems like a nice graphical upgrade from Book I. I've only played the demo on both games so far.

Errr.... looks at the graphics ... ummm... Looks closer at the screenshot's text and "Screen captured and saved to the game's installation directory" .... uhhh.... this is looking mighty 1990's to me. Even the save game icon is a 3.5" floppy.

Back
Top Bottom