Venetica - PS3 Version Coming to DACH

To put it differently, does only active, mechanical input (button pressing) count as "gameplay," but all other "passive" forms of experience (some of which are not passive at all) do not?
It is the former. When I said "everything you do" I meant "everything you actually physically do". Cut-scenes, narrative, etc. are also part of the game, they're just not part of gameplay. Roleplaying (for example, deciding what to say in a conversation) can also be a part of gameplay.

I don't see why dialogues wouldn't be considered a part of gameplay. You physically do something, just like you do when you're fighting, building up stats, etc, etc.
Interesting is the point whether ADDING something to a "game" makes a "game" also lose its "defining factor" or not.
As long as the most of the time you spend with the game consists of you actually playing it, the game remains a game. But if you add too much of "something else" and that becomes the primary focus, then I guess you would come up with some sort of a hybrid.

I'm a psychologist by trade, so it's natural for me to think of internal activity as actions, as much or more important than physical behavior. So, personally, I can't get behind definitions of "gameplay" that exclude internal actions, as if the only thing that mattered in "playing" a game was button pushing and stick twiddling.

But I know that others see it differently. That's fine. No one says we have to have the same definitions of what "gameplay" is.

Well, I didn't say that gameplay is the only part of the game that matters. :) I think "game-playing" in this context means physically playing. Which doesn't mean internal actions and emotions aren't important.

I think gameplay to most is something different than:
1. Roleplay, or
2. Simple interactions with a virtual world that have no impact on roleplay or gameplay.

For example, is walking your character through a virtual town gameplay? It may be unrelated to any objectives. You may do it just to experience the environment or exercise the controls on your character.

So to me gameplay is defined as actions the player takes to meet one or more objectives that are defined as "winning" conditions. These objectives vary a lot between different game types, and may be completely player defined in sandbox games like Morrowind.

So to me gameplay is defined as actions the player takes to meet one or more objectives that are defined as "winning" conditions. These objectives vary a lot between different game types, and may be completely player defined in sandbox games like Morrowind.

That's a pretty good definition. I'll vote for this one, but add internal actions.

Sure. Like figuring out a riddle would be a classic internal action. On a computer, the objective is met by doing a physical action to input the the answer, but that's secondary to the internal solving action.

Gameplay is everything that requires player´s active input.

A small update to this thread. It looks like there will be an international release for the PS3 version -and possibly other platforms- after all.
First hint: The German USK (rating board) has obviously reviewed the English PS3 version just yesterday and they rated it "USK 12".
The second hint is this listing at Play.com and this one at Game.co.uk.
The latter site (Game) even has a listing for a PC version and an X360 version so Venetica might be coming to the English market on all platforms this October.

That's encouraging! I had given the game up for dead. I don't want to make too much out of it, since info on game retailers' websites can be unreliable, but there does seem to be some "meat" here. For instance, a publisher is named: Mastertronic. Last I heard, they were still shopping for a publisher. So it seems they have found one.

Looks like it'll be region-locked: "Will play on UK and European Playstation3 only." That's unfortunate. I hope the 360 version either is importable or comes out in US territories, too.

"57 days to go"? Until… Oct. 1st? I wonder if that's the date on which they begin to take preorders. I can't imagine they are releasing in 8 weeks, with so little buildup.

Looks to be a discounted title on console, $10 off or so. Good idea, particularly if they are releasing in October (a very crowded month for RPGs on the 360).

What's discouraging is that in the official forums some people still demand an additional patch (I just can't judge how much this is actually needed, because I only know the demo) which isn't likely to come - at all. Everyone's blocking at tht point, and I received the impression as if dtp doesn't want to pay them for an additional patch anymore.
But this is just my personal impression. Perhaps they were too busy with the console versions, I don't know.

Another patch for the PC version would be nice to have, it's not really necessary though. Not many A bugs left after the last patch, and the performance has also been improved.

What's discouraging is that in the official forums some people still demand an additional patch (I just can't judge how much this is actually needed, because I only know the demo)

Maybe you should spend more time playing games, and less time analyzing them :D ( also from other threads posts :)

I guess you are sooo right ! :lol:

It's kind of a "wasted potential" in myself. I'd rather like to do other things.

Back
Top Bottom