Zombie RPG - Officially named "Dead State", Interview, Screens

Dhruin

SasqWatch
So, Zombie RPG has graduated to an official reveal, with the final name of Dead State unveiled, a new official site and an interview with Brian Mitsoda at Rock, Paper, Shotgun that includes the first proper screens. There's a huge amount of information so this is a must-read but I can only quote so much, so here's a bit on the importance of sound, which I think is innovative for an indie game:
RPS: I suppose leads to another question – what sort of AI does the zombies have?
Brian Mitsoda: Well, we only have one type of zombie – three if you count crawling zombies and zombies that have been set on fire. Zombies are attracted to sound – in fact, you can even make noise to try and lure them out of a building, If you’re unsure how many there are. There’s a noise meter in the combat interface to let you know how much noise has been made. Make noise, local ones will come to investigate. Make a lot of noise and distant ones will start looking for you. Make enough noise and zombies will be lured to that map. It’s okay to be loud once in awhile, but if you sustain noise for too long, they’ll be coming from all over. Stay quiet for a few rounds and they will forget about you if you haven’t been spotted.
Zombies will attack the closest human target that they can see. It may look like they are intelligently mobbing someone, but it’s most likely that the NPC had the unfortunate luck of being the closest or loudest thing in the area. It’s hard to predict where or when they will show up, since they might just be randomly walking around the map. On their own they’re pretty weak and slow. They really gain the upper hand when people get isolated or occupied with another task.
Unfortunately, zombies that see humans will often start moaning, which increases the noise in the area. If a character gets surrounded, generally they won’t have enough action points to destroy all of the attackers in one round. Zombies will frequently lunge to try and knock down humans, to gain better access to the squishy parts. And if an NPC is already weak or wounded they are susceptible to being infected, which is a permanent status, assuming they survive. Infected NPCs will become zombies if they die in combat or stop receiving antibiotics, which is the primary way to control the infection in our game.
More information.

I'm definitely interested in checking this out.

I wish they had went with full party control though. I really don't care much for AI controlled NPCs.

Wow, this sounds like a great game. I'll be following it closely. I'm surprised there haven't been more comments. Good luck Double bear and ITS. I can't wait to try it out. (Hopefully sometime in 2011.)

Zombies again?

But the people involved should make it good, so there's that ;)

Zombies again?

There are ZERO zombie RPGs. None. So finally having one will be nice.

And one that focuses on how people react and deal with survival and with each other instead of just SHOOT IT MAN, SHOOT IT IN THE HEAD! would be nice too.

Although there better be alot of SHOOT IT MAN, SHOOT IT IN THE HEAD too.

Also, this : http://www.amctv.com/originals/The-Walking-Dead/

Zombies again?

And one that focuses on how people react and deal with survival and with each other instead of just SHOOT IT MAN, SHOOT IT IN THE HEAD! would be nice too.

Although there better be alot of SHOOT IT MAN, SHOOT IT IN THE HEAD too.

Also, this : http://www.amctv.com/originals/The-Walking-Dead/

Well, I'm just not particularly into the theme - myself.

But, a good RPG is a good RPG - and the setting isn't that vital to me.

Zombies and turn-based, can't ask for more.. This sounds really promising :)

Yes but pretty much every RPG I can think of has zombies in it - or some sort of variation (ghouls, graveirs, bonewalkers… A zombie by any other name would smell as sweet)

I like it though - the subject is annoyingly overused in films but having an RPG with it would be certainly something different.
(Hopefully it will be one of those indie RPGs that actually get released at some point)

Will there be respawn ?

Or do I have the possibility to erase all of these Zombies once and for all ?

Oh, and when an add-on ccomes, will there be Zombies I've just forgotten to look for ?

Or do I have the possibility to erase all of these Zombies once and for all ?
for ?
I guess you've never seen a zombie movie.

Those chose a great name for it.

Looks great, I'm really excited about the turnbased combat, survival management and dealing with the zombie apocalypse in general. I'll buy this as soon as it comes out. No review necessary.

I guess you've never seen a zombie movie.

Those chose a great name for it.

No, I haven't ... but, wait, that Terence Quantino movie ... no, wait Quentin Tarantino ? Like Tarantula ?

I do know a few bits about "Zombie Culture", but I have never seen an sense in that ... countless battles against Zombies with no end ... I simply don't see much sense in things that have no ends. ;)

I do know a few bits about "Zombie Culture", but I have never seen an sense in that … countless battles against Zombies with no end … I simply don't see much sense in things that have no ends. ;)

As i see it, the main theme of many zombie flicks is the complete hopelessness, i find it interesting, people willing to struggle and not give up no matter what.

Zombie movies are often just as much about people fighting other people in a hopeless world.

As i see it, the main theme of many zombie flicks is the complete hopelessness, i find it interesting, people willing to struggle and not give up no matter what.

Zombie movies are often just as much about people fighting other people in a hopeless world.
The problem with them is that they are like the zombies themselves: the same thing keeps coming for you over and over and over...

I mean every single film I've seen has the same basic formula: some disease infects the world turning everyone into zombies - some people, who don't get along too well, remain unaffected for some reason - they hole up into some barricaded building trying to defend against the constantly increasing waves of zombies while fighting against their own differences - the form a risky plan to get to a rumored safe location where all survivors go and live happily ever-after - they eventually either manage to leave or they die - the end. (Throw in some political/social allegory and you're done.)

The concept is great in itself but it's just so overused with only tiny or insignificant differences. As far as I'm concerned Romero's original 'Night of the living dead' is pretty much the only 'zombie film' one need to see - it has everything one should expect from such a story and it's very well done.

What I'd rather know is, how a world full of Zombies would be. I mean, entirely with Zombies.

What would Zombies do, then ?

*That* would be the kind of Zombie RPG I'm interested in ! ;)

The concept is great in itself but it's just so overused with only tiny or insignificant differences. As far as I'm concerned Romero's original 'Night of the living dead' is pretty much the only 'zombie film' one need to see - it has everything one should expect from such a story and it's very well done.

Agreed.

As for the game, there´s many things about it which sound really interesting and the game generally reeks of fresh rpg air so I can´t wait.
Interviews with Mitsoda are always great read.

What I'd rather know is, how a world full of Zombies would be. I mean, entirely with Zombies.

From one of Mitsoda´s posts at ITS forum:
"Madagascar, in our game, has been reclaimed by the lemurs. And they immediately shut down all the ports."

The zombie genre is more about human behavior in stressful situations than zombies themselves. In most zombie films it's centered around a group of people trying to survive. Most often than not it's human behavior that causes the group to self destruct and ultimately lead to the deaths of everyone in the group. The zombies themselves are just the outer threat that is the catalyst to deterioration of human behavior.

I get the feeling from reading the Dead State forums that this interaction with the npc's is what the game is all about.

Back
Top Bottom