Fallout: New Vegas - 5 Million Shipped

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Bethsoft sent us the PR below announcing 5 million copies of Fallout: New Vegas have shipped. Note that this is sell-in, not sell-through - but the PR does specify "despite the large launch quantities for this title, we have already received substantial re-orders from our retail partners".
Bethesda Softworks Announces Successful Launch of Fallout®: new vegasTM
Five Million Launch Units to Meet Worldwide Demand
November 8, 2010 (Rockville, MD) – Bethesda Softworks®, a ZeniMax Media company, announced today that its highly anticipated title, Fallout®: New VegasTM, has enjoyed record sales at launch, reflecting the huge consumer demand for the game. Five million units of Fallout: New Vegas were shipped worldwide for the Xbox 360®video game and entertainment system from Microsoft, PlayStation®3 computer entertainment system, and Games for Windows®, with a heavy volume of digital downloads, representing well over $300 million in retail sales. In addition, the Fallout: New Vegas strategy guide was one of Amazon’s best sellers among all books.
“We are delighted by the reception Fallout: New Vegas has received from fans around the world,” said Vlatko Andonov, president of Bethesda Softworks.” Despite the large launch quantities for this title, we have already received substantial re-orders from our retail partners, underscoring the tremendous popularity of this highly entertaining game. We believe Fallout: New Vegas will be the “must buy” title for gamers throughout the holiday season.”
Reviews of Fallout: New Vegas have called the game as “an utterly essential purchase” (MSN UK) and as “addictively, rambunctiously fun” (Entertainment Weekly). The Associated Press awarded it a 4 out of 4 stars and said “Bottom Line: It’s a Blast”, while GameSpy gave it 4.5 out of 5 stars and called Fallout: New Vegas “one of the best games of the year.”
Fallout: New Vegas, the follow-up to Fallout 3 – the 2008 Game of the Year – brings this beloved franchise to a location only Fallout could do justice: Vegas. Fallout: New Vegas takes all the action, humor and post-apocalyptic grime and grit of this legendary series, and raises the stakes. Fallout®: New Vegas, developed at Obsidian Entertainment, has been rated M for Mature by the ESRB. For more information on Fallout: New Vegas, visit http://fallout.bethsoft.com.
More information.

True, initial buy-in by retail is actually more indicative of the past success of a previous title by the developer/publisher or the success of an earlier installment of the franchise.

Ofcourse, if sales are bad with New Vegas and they are left with shelves full off unsellable or slow selling games, chances are the buy-in next time is smaller.

This is probably 95% due to Fallout 3 and the marketing campaign - and 5% due to Obsidian and the game itself.

I'm not really worried that mainstream gamers are turned off by the "depth" of an Obsidian game, but I AM worried that a lot of them will be turned off by the technical state of such a game.

But it's always nice to get a decent cRPG introduced to new gamers - as it will most likely help such games be more successful in the future.

I'm not really worried that mainstream gamers are turned off by the "depth" of an Obsidian game, but I AM worried that a lot of them will be turned off by the technical state of such a game.
New Vegas has actually less overall problems than Fallout 3 had when it launched.

That is awesome for Obsidian.
They deserve a blockbuster, even if it was on Bethesda's coattails.

Maybe this will lead to a totally NEW RPG.

I have seen very few bugs myself (on PC) and consider it an awesome game.

I was very excited to hear this news especially after all the depressing news around DA2 and how it is being totally shallowfied for the masses.

Seeing FNV doing well (bugs and all I suppose) shows there is still a good market for deeper and more complex RPG's.

That is awesome for Obsidian.
They deserve a blockbuster, even if it was on Bethesda's coattails.

Maybe this will lead to a totally NEW RPG.

Well, they first have to tend to the next installment of Dungeon Siege. Although in addition they are working on an unannounced project which could be a new IP (possibly the game based on Wheel of Time in co-op with Red Eagle Games).

And Alpha Protocol was a "NEW RPG".

But as long as they aren't truly independent or a fully-owned flagship studio of a large publisher they will take work (funding) they can get. In this state even if they develop a new IP, impatience by their funding publisher might keep them from fully completing their vision.

Publishers of Obsidian games: LucasArts, Atari, Sega (2 cancelled titles), Bethesda Softworks and Square-Enix (and possibly Red Eagle Games/EA Partners)

And Alpha Protocol was a "NEW RPG".

Sigh. I still can't figure out why that didn't work out as it really was pretty good.

Failures like that tend to quash any attempts to do new stuff and just roll out _SomeOtherGame: part 906_. That's not always bad but new games are good, too.

Good for Obsidian, and I'm glad to see the franchise do well.

I'd love to see the next Fallout game take place in a different region though. It would be interesting to see other parts of that world.

I'd love to see the next Fallout game take place in a different region though. It would be interesting to see other parts of that world.

I believe the question was asked if they will ever move the game to another region and they said no.

...a different region? Doesn't that defeat the entire point? Fallout is not just a "post apoc" game, it is essentially a reflection of todays America thru different lenses. It IS America thru and thru. Both it's greatness and ultimately its rotten heart.

I'm also glad they are doing so well with this game.

America is huge! There are many different places they could explore before heading out to another country. A few cities/states I'd love to see are New Orleans, New York, Boston, or even Florida. Each of those would offer quite a different setting in which to explore this new wasteland.

Given much of what we have heard so far, there are 3 likely settings for the next full game or full-blown expansion:

1)Chicago (they have built up some of the lore about the region such as the commonwealth)
2) West coast (only because a return to the beginning would be acceptable after such a long time away and also they have developed the histories out there quite a bit so far- as well as potentially sending familiar characters from NV that direction)
3) North west - They've talked about it a little but this is my bet for least likely of the tree since any development out that way is highly dependant on player actions in the current game and there has been very little hinting at it otherwise.

I wouldn't rule out the North East either as Bethesda has developed some of the lore for that region themselves. I think where exactly the next game ends up is highly dependent on whether it is produced by Obsidian, Bethesda, or some cooperation of the two. I think both groups have their own strong preferences based on what they are more personally familiar with.

Considering the re-orders, the apparently good digital sales, and in general the reception in reviews and from fans, I think FO:NV will indeed do well. Hopefully it will increase the number of fans for quality RPGs.

As to the Fallout series - TBH, I would prefer if it would end now. As much as I like the setting, I kind of think its core story has been told, and NV would be a good game to let the series go out on a high note, instead of dragging it on and milking it until a horrible sequel finally kills it. Not gonna happen of course.

F:NV is most likely game of the year for me, so I consider this well earned. I'm happy it's doing well.

New Vegas has actually less overall problems than Fallout 3 had when it launched.

Could you point out your source, so we can dismiss the issues reported by people? Especially regarding the Xbox version, which certainly to me seems to suffer a lot more seriously than FO3.

However, if it turns out Obsidian finally managed to make a polished game - then they might not scare away mainstreamers - and that's a very good thing.

…a different region? Doesn't that defeat the entire point? Fallout is not just a "post apoc" game, it is essentially a reflection of todays America thru different lenses. It IS America thru and thru. Both it's greatness and ultimately its rotten heart.

I agree about the reflection of America, but that doesn't change that it could be interesting to see an offshoot of some kind.

A few cities/states I'd love to see are New Orleans, New York, Boston, or even Florida. Each of those would offer quite a different setting in which to explore this new wasteland.

Florida? Nah... we saw enough mutant hillbillies in the Point Lookout DLC.

Florida? Nah… we saw enough mutant hillbillies in the Point Lookout DLC.

I was thinking more like Miami Vice. Tight white jeans, pink shirts and leasuire suit wearing super mutants ;)

Maybe I just want another time period to be visited. We've done the 50s for 4 games now (6 if you include Fallout: POS and Tactics). It would be nice if they could somehow throw another time period in there without breaking the whole game. Maybe some areas of the country were more like the 20s. You could still have the nuclear theme, but throw some culture into the game from a different time period.

As to the Fallout series - TBH, I would prefer if it would end now. As much as I like the setting, I kind of think its core story has been told, and NV would be a good game to let the series go out on a high note, instead of dragging it on and milking it until a horrible sequel finally kills it. Not gonna happen of course.

NO! Wash your mouth out with soap this instant young man :p

The only fantasy RPG I remember with Mutants was Beyond Divinity.

It's odd to me that some themes just don't cross the "genre border". Except Might & Magic and Wizardry, maybe.

Kudos to Obsidian! They and Bethesda need to iron out the bugs and then move on to an expansion. I'd just move across the Colorado perhaps and tackle the Denver area. I'm not sure how they'll handle the various endings in an expansion. Perhaps, they'll just add content to the existing game and not have an "ending" for an expansion.

I wouldn't mind seeing more fleshed out companions. Although I didn't particularly care for the DAO characters, the FNV characters seem like mannequins in comparison. I'd take Leliana over Cass or Veronica any day. Boone doesn't have a personality at all. He makes Stenn seem loquacious.

Back
Top Bottom