Quantcast
Password managers - RPGWatch Forums
|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Tech Help » Password managers

Default Password managers

September 28th, 2016, 08:41
A couple of days ago I updated flashplayer. Didn't notice that Adobe assumed that I also wanted to install Intel True Key (I hate that Adobe "feature").

I uninstalled True Key, because I so far haven't seen the need for that type of software. I have an algorithm, only stored in my hippocampus (and associated cerebral areas), for creating different passwords on different sites. I can usually deduct passwords if I can't remember them. And no, it's not easy for outsiders to find out. I hope.)

But I assume that a password manager allows me to use longer, more random passwords. On the other hand, it takes only the password for the manager to find them all (and in the darkness bind them)? But I may of course be wrong.

So, how safe are those things? Recommendations?

pibbur who probably himself isn't completely secure(d).

"Ash password durbatulűk, ash password gimbatul,
Ash password thrakatulűk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul
"
--
d++a61e++TU4567'!S'!89!A!WM!LuC++++u+++uF+++nR——nS ++++wC—-o++++wS——uLB++++

pibbur who

Number 13
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

September 28th, 2016, 09:15
I use Keypass 2. It has three levels of protections. First there is a password, secondly there is a key file and lastly it can be linked to your Windows account (which means it is limited to your PC and very hard to get into when your PC crashes). That last option I don't use.
I use for everything randomly generated passwords with at least a 20 character length, including a mix of characters, capitals, numbers and special characters, which I can't remember.

Anyway, even if the database got into someone's hands and they could figure out the password, they still need to figure out the key file. In theory that would allow you to store the database in the cloud and by transferring the key file to any device you want to use Keypass 2 on, it would still be safe.
--
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move. Douglas Adams
A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on. Winston Churchill
Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go. Oscar Wilde

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
RPGWatch Team

+1:

Yesterday, 18:41
I'm dubious about master password stores, for the reasons you mention. One of the things Snowden highlighted is that although strong symmetric encryption is unbreakable, endpoint security (our devices and their OSes) is woeful. A modern key-logging trojan would have no trouble gathering your password and any keyfile you used, or dumping the decrypted password database from memory.

Ripper

Little England Refugee

Today, 12:08
Originally Posted by Ripper View Post
I'm dubious about master password stores, for the reasons you mention. One of the things Snowden highlighted is that although strong symmetric encryption is unbreakable, endpoint security (our devices and their OSes) is woeful. A modern key-logging trojan would have no trouble gathering your password and any keyfile you used, or dumping the decrypted password database from memory.
+1, except for one thing, we might think strong symmetric encryption is unbreakable today, but nothing is unbreakable, we already have quantum computers…..

GothicGothicness

SasqWatch

RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Tech Help » Password managers