Quantcast
ram ??? - RPGWatch Forums
|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Tech Help » ram ???

Default ram ???

September 21st, 2016, 01:05
Can I use:

6GB DDR3 at 1333MHz (2DIMMS)
and

8GB Dual Channel DDR4 at 2133MHz
--
I can change almost anything… but I can't change human nature.

CelticFrost

SasqWatch

September 21st, 2016, 01:27
You mean on the same mobo? No. I seem to remember when DDR4 came out there were some board models which allowed the usage of either DDR3 or DDR4, i.e. they had both types of slots but AFAIK you had to decide whether to use the DDR3 or 4 slots, i.e. no mixed RAM operations.
The vast majority of boards now will just have DDR4 slots and no DDR3 slots anymore. You can sell your old RAM on eBay .

By the way, I would strongly recommend 16GB of RAM. Windows 10 plus many modern games easily push RAM usage into the 7GB to 8GB range. RAM is still rather cheap so get 16GB if possible.

Moriendor

Spielkind

+1:

September 21st, 2016, 04:35
Man Celtic, you're even worse at this than I am. Never thought I'd see the day when I'll be giving a tech advice.
But no, unless you have one that supports both, which should be clearly specified.
Eh, one thing though? I have a mbo that has 4 2133 channels up to 64 GB…is there any difference in having 2x8GB and two slots empty or 4x4GB. Don't really need any more 16 GB currently and 32 GB will probably be an overkill even few years from now.

BoboTheMighty

Keeper of the Watch

September 21st, 2016, 15:30
Originally Posted by BoboTheMighty View Post
Eh, one thing though? I have a mbo that has 4 2133 channels up to 64 GB…is there any difference in having 2x8GB and two slots empty or 4x4GB.
That does not matter at all as long as the modules are the same to avoid incompatibilities. There is no difference in performance. Memory is like a matrix to the system and four modules will also work in dual channel mode.
The only downsides are the "waste" of the slots and the higher statistical chance of a failure with four modules vs. two.

Moriendor

Spielkind

September 21st, 2016, 15:34
The RAM you can use is completely decided by the mother board so check the pamphlet for it but for sure you cannot use 2 totally different types of RAM. Also get 16 of whatever you do decide to use.

Toff

Keeper of the Watch

RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Tech Help » ram ???