Dragon Age 2 - David Gaider Interview @ SC

Dhruin

SasqWatch
David Gaider has been interviewed at Sarcastic Gamer about the storytelling in Dragon Age 2:
Why did you take the decision to have just one main character for DA2 as opposed to the multitude of main character options in Origins?
Part of that is budgetary. If you look at Origins each of those origin stories was a huge undertaking. That kind of expense is great, as long as there is some impact to it and I think we got that in Origins. I think it was really important as Origins had to introduce the world and introduce every slice of life to the player. For the DA2 story, we actually started off with multiple starting points but we found that prevented us from telling the tale we wanted to tell and not to mention led to an extra expense. Splitting the story at the start diluted the story we wanted to tell further down the line. For example, if the player was a Dwarf you could not have a Mage in the family. For every variation you have to provide a whole new path. One day we just sat down and said, budget aside, what is more important to us?
When I first found out we were concentrating on one main character, as a writer I wasn’t exactly thrilled. From a writing perspective it narrows down the character. It does give you the opportunities to hook a story onto a character when they are a little bit more defined and now I do find after playing DA2, I have a really hard time going back and playing Origins.
Thanks to Omega for this and several other items.
More information.

I'm very impressed with the interviewer and the answers. Not, perhaps, as a potential purchaser of DA2, but as a gamer it was an interesting read.

Yeah I was thinking the same thing.

Also, some parts of the interview came off as PR to me.

"I do find after playing DA2, I have a really hard time going back and playing Origins."

Sure, he might actually be telling the truth, but that sounds more like advertising to me.

Very interesting interview. Quite a new background for the name Thedas.

And yes, the interviewer really should learn how to spell Baldur's Gate.

Hawkee is from the Orkney ?
Mandatory kilt or gtfo

People ask “Why don’t you have horses in DA?”

Seriously ? People need horses to cross the 40 paces long levels ?

[MM: I guess there is an intrinsic value to knowing that the decision you made definitely splintered your path and made a difference] Yes, there are various way of doing splits but if you get to a decision point and the player can see that the decision they made actually made a difference then they are always left wondering what would have happened if they decided differently.

Make another difference? isn't this that gives replayability to a game ?

To the piece Dhruin posted David Gaider mentions expense 3 times and then says :

When I first found out we were concentrating on one main character, as a writer I wasn’t exactly thrilled. From a writing perspective it narrows down the character.

The rest is just sauce .

Be it sincere, sauce or just plain PR, this definitely was an interesting read for me. I'll admit: I'm getting curious about this game, even though I still fear it will turn out very much like ME2.

Last edited:
Yeah I was thinking the same thing.

Also, some parts of the interview came off as PR to me.

"I do find after playing DA2, I have a really hard time going back and playing Origins."

Sure, he might actually be telling the truth, but that sounds more like advertising to me.

He might actually be telling the truth, because people become used to things ... After driving a certain kind of car for a few years, you are just used to it and don't quite want to settle down on an entirely different car manufacturer instead ... At least I guess so ...

He might actually be telling the truth, because people become used to things … After driving a certain kind of car for a few years, you are just used to it and don't quite want to settle down on an entirely different car manufacturer instead … At least I guess so …

The one problem with bioware is they basically say there products suck so the next one is better. Dont believe the PR bullshit said by the supposedly RPG gods.

Back
Top Bottom