Risen 2 - First Screens!

Dartagnan said:
They are screenshots.

Probably touched up a bit, but those are definitely screens.

It even says on the page it is artwork not screens. Bur Mr Neverwrong is probably not going to admit he is wrong even this time.

Pirate setting ftw. Loved the pirate bits in G2:NotR. Guns fit well. The game needs to have diving and swimming (and three-headed monkey easter egg).
Can´t wait for more info.

Anyone think they'll add ships, similar to Sea Dogs (Pirates of the Caribbean RPG), or is that too unlikely? I would love to see what they could do with ship travel, but this will probably be more of a traditional PB design without such innovations - which is fine with me given my enjoyment of their games. Still, I think the implementation of ships would make sense if Risen 2 is indeed a slightly pirate-themed RPG with multiple islands to explore.

When I clicked on that link I watched the flash show for a bit. Then I got a 'blue screen of death' - the first time I've ever gotten that on Win7 32-bit.

When my computer rebooted it started beeping and wouldn't boot up.

Disconnected the power for 5 minutes then tried again... my pc booted up but all my CMOS settings reset to factory settings.

When finally booting up back into windows... windows is reinstalling all my hardware drivers.

Not sure what the hell happened, but be careful clicking on that link.

This should be quoted for future arguments about whether the current "stagnation" of graphics and technology is a good thing for gameplay purposes.

That question already has an answer. The answer is the 70s and 80s... two decades of great games and great gameplay... and sometimes the games didn't even have graphics at all. =)

It even says on the page it is artwork not screens. Bur Mr Neverwrong is probably not going to admit he is wrong even this time.

Once we establish they're not touched up screenshots, I'll gladly admit I'm wrong.

But let's just say I think they look A LOT like screenshots with a few Photoshop filters.

The bridge shot, however, does look kinda like concept art, but my gut feeling is that it's just a shot with more filters than the others.

It seems Risen 2 is going down the same path that Fable 2 did, with guns and all. Nevertheless, the first thing I noticed was not the gun, but the tropical setting which reminded me of NotR. That is a good thing.

That question already has an answer. The answer is the 70s and 80s… two decades of great games and great gameplay… and sometimes the games didn't even have graphics at all.
QFT.

To me, that's nice. :)

An RPG set within the "Pirates Of The Carribbean" setting ? I don't think anyone did that before … :lol:

No idea but NOTR had a little bit of that, well there was sort of pirate characters.

From these bits of information, "Dark River" plus the idea of a Carribbean Pirates RPG and the hope of an interesting merging of earth and water in areas design, that are positive points that increase my curiosity. The realism of the landscapes and the pistol (ho no not one more shooter) are the negative points. Thankfully the positive points are more important. If I was tedious about Risen 2 I'm a lot more curious now.

I wouldn't be surprised if they added a simple sailing model, though there's really no reason unless you can actually do something other than travel with your ship.

BTW - try looking at the ground texture in the picture with the ship and see if you still think it looks like concept art.

I have difficulty understanding internet sarcasm. But if you were sarcastic the :lol: should be replaced with a ;) .

No, I wasn't. ;)

I'm honestly looking forward to it. :)

Alrik doesn't do sarcasm, so I'd suggest he meant it.

Yes. :)

I can be very sarcastic, but I rarely show it here ... I'm rather cynic - if at all - than being sarcastic. ;)

When I clicked on that link I watched the flash show for a bit. Then I got a 'blue screen of death' - the first time I've ever gotten that on Win7 32-bit.

Hm, I guess this could have been the graphics driver … I've seen weird things happen with flash animations on my older graphics drivers (in the past). But that was long ago.

One notorious example was flash or shockwave making a quadratic, entirely black "dot" in the middle of an animmation where - when I put the mouse-pointer "into" it, it would let the mouse pointer completely disappear … But this was ages ago ...

Looks pretty good, like the ideas with the pirates and all.

Does look a bit dated though, definately doesn't compete with Skyrim for looks.

I don't think they'd want it to compete with Skyrim.

Once we establish they're not touched up screenshots, I'll gladly admit I'm wrong.

But let's just say I think they look A LOT like screenshots with a few Photoshop filters.
The button on the official page says 'View artwork'.
are we watching the same thing?

I don't think they'd want it to compete with Skyrim.

Yeah why would they want to compete with a major rpg which will most likely be released at the same time who they will be compared to

No, they won't be compared to it, because Skyrim is mass-market, and Risen is old school, and an entirely different setting, by the way.

They are so far away from one another that imho a direct comparison is only something fools will do.

And, by the way, you don't really expect the work of a millions-of-dollars huge company (Bethsoft) to be compared to a tiny developing studio ? That's just unfair.

No, they won't be compared to it, because Skyrim is mass-market, and Risen is old school, and an entirely different setting, by the way.

They are so far away from one another that imho a direct comparison is only something fools will do.

And, by the way, you don't really expect the work of a millions-of-dollars huge company (Bethsoft) to be compared to a tiny developing studio ? That's just unfair.

I have a newsflash for you, review companies don't care and aren't fair.

And comparisons of oblivion and all the gothic series and risen is done now...so why do you think this is different?

A new PB game in the pipeline is always great news, with guns a nice twist to the bow/xbow ranged option. And the pirate-like theme is just begging for Capt. Greg(orius) to show up.

Back
Top Bottom