Eschalon: Book III - Teaser Page

Hoping for party combat hoping for party combat hoping for party combat hoping for party combat hoping for party combat hoping for party combat hoping for party combat hoping for party combat hoping for party combat hoping for party combat hoping for party combat.

Not every game needs party combat.

Anyway, interesting that it says final journey. Also I never finished Book II but I was under the impression it had an ending which suggested a much different look for Book III, yet that teaser image seems to be standard medieval.

@Al3xand3r - Sorry, this is a solo adventure like the previous 2 games. Party combat will be in another game.

@DoctorNarrative - Correct, this is the final game in th series. It was always meant to be a trilogy and the engine will be retired after this game (all content creation tools will be made available to fans). And yes, this is classic old-school, high-fantasy role playing. The teaser image doesn't reflect the full range of environments and areas that you will pass through for this final game.

@Al3xand3r - Sorry, this is a solo adventure like the previous 2 games. Party combat will be in another game.

Will it offer the same top-down view or the first person perspective?
I'm not a fan of blob games, but would love to play another isometric party-based game

@DoctorNarrative - Correct, this is the final game in th series. It was always meant to be a trilogy and the engine will be retired after this game (all content creation tools will be made available to fans). And yes, this is classic old-school, high-fantasy role playing. The teaser image doesn't reflect the full range of environments and areas that you will pass through for this final game.

Do you plan to release boxed version of the trilogy?
What are the chances of your games to be released by Polish publishers?

I've played each of the first two, but haven't found enough depth in the game systems for it to keep me interested till the end. I still get my money's worth out of each title though, before it ceases to be interesting for me. I'm actually more interested to see what happens after Book III. If Tom stays in the crpg field, I'm curious to see his next series after learning from Eschalon. If he moves to a different genre, then I'll just wish him luck. I really only have time for fantasy-based crpgs, though I add in the occasional Deus Ex every decade or so :)

I really loved both games I just got distracted while playing Book II and have not gone back to it yet. I am happy to hear it was designed as a trilogy though, and look forward to the last installment (and what comes next for Basilisk on a new engine, that sounds ace).

I like the idea of a boxed version of the trilogy, maybe sold direct on the website? I would certainly pre-order such a boxed set despite having digital copies of Book I and Book II.

I really didn't like book 2, and I never tried book 1. Book 2 was mostly "walk around a mostly empty map killing stuff until you find something you can't kill, at which point, run like hell to the closest edge of the map, then camp."

I appreciate the technical achievement of it all, but to me it simply isn't fun to play.

Loved Book I and played all the way through it!

Bought Book II pretty much at release, but sadly I got away from playing it after a while.

The killer for me was that I had already started over a couple of times (of my own choice, just to get the character build right) - and then I found out that I actually didn't want the "decaying items" feature on after all. My items wore down waay to quickly and it was becoming extremely tedious having to walk back to town for repairs all the time. My sword couldn't even always survive a single dungeon crawl :)

Unfortunately those gameplay options are locked to the game, and I couldn't find any tools to change them for a running game. Couldn't bear the thought of having to play all the way from the beginning once more...

I didn't get the "playing for an achievement" idea. To me, you're gaming the game instead of playing the game when those are offered. I'd rather have them as unknown perks at the end of play, if you're going to have a score at all. Still, those who played through the game multiple times enjoyed them. I may not be the exact target audience.

Aw... Well combat is all you do... Combat and exploration... So yeah, I felt the games needed party combat for added strategic depth... Hopefully you've added enough depth without a party... Somehow... I want to get III because it's genuinly awesome not just to complete the set just because I got through the first two...

@BasiliskWrangler - thank you, I really enjoyed both games and hope you do stay on the classic CRPG path. I'm way more excited by a vague promise of party combat in a new game from you than any teasers from Bioware these days...

I don't care for Al3xandrs delivery, but he has a point. I'm a fan of the series and I very much looking forward to Book III. The Eschalon games reminds me a lot of Baldurs Gate and thats why I like it. However, if it only was a little bigger and had party combat, then it would be an even better game - my opinion of course!

Can you give us any hints of what to expect from the next game engine/series?

Last edited:
Tom we have to throw together another interview to spill the beans on what is comming, I can't wait for you to officially announce it.

I think many will be surprised;)

I thought my delivery was pretty good...

This is great news . Book2 was huge ,great graphics and very challenging . I really enjoyed how Basilisk released an addon in the patch which gave you some possible clues for Book 3. Thanks to all the indie devs out there.

After Book I, Book II was a 'day one' purchase for me. I loved the way the creator tweaked the original engine so things like the need for food and drink became possible and one could play in a higher resolution. Are any such refinements planned for the final installment?

After Book I, Book II was a 'day one' purchase for me. I loved the way the creator tweaked the original engine so things like the need for food and drink became possible and one could play in a higher resolution. Are any such refinements planned for the final installment?

I can sort of answer this. As far as I know he plans on focusing more on the story/game then "upgrading" the engine. I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure this is the case.

I can sort of answer this. As far as I know he plans on focusing more on the story/game then "upgrading" the engine. I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure this is the case.

Yeah, it seems like a new engine or real upgrades will come in his fourth game, which is fine.

Back
Top Bottom