NWN2 - Platinum Edition 50% Off on Steam

Mask of the Betrayer - for all you folks who want a real RPG. One of the best games I ever played.

Which of course may also be because I like (a) DnD 3.5 Edition and (b) epic DnD characters. It's essentially the same reason I love Hordes of the Underdark for NWN1 (minus 3.5 Edition rules, that is).

Some people have told me it also includes the Westgate mini-expansion, despite it not being listed.

I never bought Westgate, and it's DRM'd out the rear on Atari's site, so maybe I should get the Steam version just for that.

People may want to check the nwn2 tech support forums first, there's still some glaring bugs that, if you run into them, make the game near unplayable. Characters spinning in place every time you move them is the most egregious in my opinion.

I never encountered any serious bugs either, in fact I don't remember finding any bug at all, but then I had the game patched to the latest version. That's not to say that there isn't any serious bugs left in the code, just that they are somewhat rare and probably more prominent on certain hardware configurations.
It works just fine in Win7 if anyone wonder.

People may want to check the nwn2 tech support forums first, there's still some glaring bugs that, if you run into them, make the game near unplayable. Characters spinning in place every time you move them is the most egregious in my opinion.

Last time I played the game it was quite stable and on win7...it is pretty good game. Well worth the price of admission if you haven't played it.

This does NOT include Mysteries at Westgate. I have also now read that MoW uses the same in-game authorization as the original premium modules for NWN1, which means someday it will not work and it can't be cracked.

Yay for DRM!

Somone will find a way to NOOP the DRM checks for premium modules. While I am usually not supportive of pirating, servers going away for old games legitimately bought are crack worthy. ;)

This does NOT include Mysteries at Westgate. I have also now read that MoW uses the same in-game authorization as the original premium modules for NWN1, which means someday it will not work and it can't be cracked.

Yay for DRM!

Unless of course, they have some official "crack" lying arround which they'd release if they ever went bankrupt. Like every company that has this sort of DRM claims to have, so they probably do too.

Then again, there already are the illegal ones, so...

Somone will find a way to NOOP the DRM checks for premium modules. While I am usually not supportive of pirating, servers going away for old games legitimately bought are crack worthy. ;)

They haven't cracked the original NWN premium modules, despite the fact you can no longer buy them. That causes concern when considering Westgate, which uses the same system.

I accept DRM because it's meaningless on PC, if it ever stops me from playing I can just crack it. DRM that has not been cracked yet, despite it being like 8 years old, gives me some serious pause. Same with something like Onlive or the console services, I don't think I could ever support them due to serious concerns about their longevity.

I never encountered any serious bugs either, in fact I don't remember finding any bug at all, but then I had the game patched to the latest version. That's not to say that there isn't any serious bugs left in the code, just that they are somewhat rare and probably more prominent on certain hardware configurations.
It works just fine in Win7 if anyone wonder.

If you played as a Warlock, you would definately still find bugs. ;)
Overall an amazing game/deal. I can't understand anyone that
sez it doesn't drastically improve on the original. Have yet to play
Zehir, but I found the idea of an overhead map fascinating.

I accept DRM because it's meaningless on PC, if it ever stops me from playing I can just crack it. DRM that has not been cracked yet, despite it being like 8 years old, gives me some serious pause. Same with something like Onlive or the console services, I don't think I could ever support them due to serious concerns about their longevity.

I see where you're coming from, and I agree. At the same time, I'm pretty sure those modules would have been cracked by now if they were more popular.

If you played as a Warlock, you would definately still find bugs. ;)
Overall an amazing game/deal. I can't understand anyone that
sez it doesn't drastically improve on the original. Have yet to play
Zehir, but I found the idea of an overhead map fascinating.

Sure, but not game breaking like spinnning around in infinite circles. BTW, Kaedrin's PRC pack fixes a lot of more minor bugs, like Warlock bugs and spell bugs.

I didn't like the NWN2 official campaign at all...was too linear with closed off buildings everywhere, no sense of exploration.

That being said I enjoyed Mask of the Betrayer and really liked Storm of Zehir because of the exploration with the world map. Definitely worth the cost for those 2 alone.

I didn't like the NWN2 official campaign at all…was too linear with closed off buildings everywhere, no sense of exploration.

That being said I enjoyed Mask of the Betrayer and really liked Storm of Zehir because of the exploration with the world map. Definitely worth the cost for those 2 alone.

The original campaign wasn't the best I've ever played but it had a feature that nearly no other game has: A meaningful way to spend all the money you get during the game.
And an incentive to search out resources. I'm of course talking about Crossroad Keep, the best castle to ever appear in a RPG and the only one I really felt about influencing. And the fact that the money you can pour into that ruin actually helps out later in the game. My biggest problem with the campaign and the reason I only played it once is that the first 10 or so hours are really, really boring. Not necessarily in the first playthrough but definitely if you play the game a second time.

Storm of Zehir was great for what it was: an HoMM-inspired RPG. I loved it for being so different from other titles in the series. My one disappointment is how the franchise was all but abandoned by Atari after such great strides by Obsidian.

Sigh, bought the original NWN Diamond Edition last week and now I suckered myself into buying this as well.

Back
Top Bottom