Quantcast
Amount of games - RPGWatch Forums
|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » Amount of games

Default Amount of games

Today, 14:30
So, I was just curious how many games are released these days.

Turns out, on Steam alone - there are around 10 games released, on average, every single day. That's just Steam.

I remember a time when I was lucky to get ANY new game in weeks or months. You had to make do with what was available - meaning I could spend days or weeks playing a piece of shit, because that was what I had - and the process of learning mechanics was always fun in games of any complexity.

Also, I used to think I would definitely be able to play all the great games out there - because they were so few in number.

Slowly, I've realised that I can't even begin to keep up with my backlog - and we're talking about a backlog of GREAT games. Games that I would once have killed to get my hands on.

We're talking about amazing in-depth RPGs, strategy games, 4X games - on and on. My favorite genres.

Ironically, I'm far from as entertained as I was when I was a kid. I've seen too much - and I dismiss games out of hand for the smallest infractions.

In the past, I had all the time in the world with very few games - and now I have all the games I could ever want, but very little time.

Even worse, when I DO have time - I struggle picking a game to focus on, because I know there's always another that might just be more entertaining.

The "must have" titles get fewer and fewer as there are ever more of them released.

How the hell do you deal with that?

NewDArt

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Today, 14:57
Originally Posted by NewDArt View Post
So, I was just curious how many games are released these days.

Turns out, on Steam alone - there are around 10 games released, on average, every single day. That's just Steam.

I remember a time when I was lucky to get ANY new game in weeks or months. You had to make do with what was available - meaning I could spend days or weeks playing a piece of shit, because that was what I had - and the process of learning mechanics was always fun in games of any complexity.

Also, I used to think I would definitely be able to play all the great games out there - because they were so few in number.

Slowly, I've realised that I can't even begin to keep up with my backlog - and we're talking about a backlog of GREAT games. Games that I would once have killed to get my hands on.

We're talking about amazing in-depth RPGs, strategy games, 4X games - on and on. My favorite genres.

Ironically, I'm far from as entertained as I was when I was a kid. I've seen too much - and I dismiss games out of hand for the smallest infractions.

In the past, I had all the time in the world with very few games - and now I have all the games I could ever want, but very little time.

Even worse, when I DO have time - I struggle picking a game to focus on, because I know there's always another that might just be more entertaining.

The "must have" titles get fewer and fewer as there are ever more of them released.

I very much agree with this. I have around 700 games in my Steam library, and i'm sure I'll likely never have time for most of them. Especially as an adult. And I also have issues in focusing on one.

danutz_plusplus

SasqWatch

Today, 15:12
http://www.pcgamer.com/more-than-600…years-to-2015/ 99% of which we'll never hear of

Im only excited about rpgs nowadays so that works for me
--
Favorite Game: Gothic II
My steam profile

porcozaur

S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

Today, 15:12
Originally Posted by NewDArt View Post
One day at a time, DArtsouls, one day at a time.

SirJames

Keeper of the Watch

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
+1:

Today, 16:16
Yeah, I flit from game to game constantly. I finished Prey, but that was 18 games ago and I haven't finished any of the rest. I used to say I only play crpgs, but I've hit a ton of survival/zombie apocalypse games this year:

7 Days to Die
Salt
The Forest
Conan Exiles (Full Monty)
and a host of others
--
c-computer, r-role, p-playing, g-game, nut-extreme fan
=crpgnut or just
'nut @crpgnut

crpgnut

Grumpy Role Player
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)

Today, 16:17
Originally Posted by crpgnut View Post
Yeah, I flit from game to game constantly. I finished Prey, but that was 18 games ago and I haven't finished any of the rest. I used to say I only play crpgs, but I've hit a ton of survival/zombie apocalypse games this year:

7 Days to Die
Salt
The Forest
and a host of others
I think Prey was also the last game I finished, though I sometimes forget these things

NewDArt

SasqWatch

Today, 16:24
Originally Posted by porcozaur View Post
http://www.pcgamer.com/more-than-600…years-to-2015/ 99% of which we'll never hear of

Im only excited about rpgs nowadays so that works for me
Those crazy numbers are from the "dark ages" of the fake games though .

Seriously, there was a popular scam (explained here) how some developers made money off the Steam trading card mechanic via fake games.

Valve allowed this to go on for way too long before addressing the issue. They made nice money off those billions of transactions so they were not in a hurry.

They only took action when those fake games started to mess in a more serious fashion with Steam systems like Greenlight as well as their charts and metrics systems because all of a sudden fake games started appearing in the top charts due to their faked popularity.
People saw fake game in their suggested lists, bought fake games, people were unhappy, people returned games, support ticket count went up, support queues got longer and then Valve finally took notice and action against this system.

With the changes to Greenlight (now called Steam Direct) and to the trading card system (see this announcement from back in May), we should now hopefully see a lot less crap on Steam.

--

Fake games aside, the number of games nowadays is crazy, yes. As someone who is interested in a wide range of games my backlog also keeps growing and growing. Oh well. First world problems .

Moriendor

Spielkind

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)

Today, 16:36
I always try to finish one game before moving to the next. I know if I don't there is only a small chance I will return and unfinished games always bother me. That said I try not to look at my unplayed games as a backlog but as a library that I can choose from for my next play. Getting a new game adds to my choice. It's a positive thing! ( I am only half able to convince myself… )
I think the reason you are losing your enjoyment is because you are thinking of games as work. Something you have to do, instead of optional entertainment. Backlog implies you HAVE to catch up on it - you don't! What you play or don't play is completely up to you. Be the master of your games, play what you want and damn the rest!
--
If you have no other choice but to kill, you have failed.
Last edited by Philistine; Today at 16:42. Reason: added paragraph

Philistine

Watchdog
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Today, 16:37
Originally Posted by crpgnut View Post
Isn't that MMO?
If I remember it being MMO correctly - that's unfinishable product. So kick it off the "finished" list.

Originally Posted by Philistine View Post
I always try to finish one game before moving to the next.
Me too.
Doesn't work every time, so I went to try ACO before finshing Elex (yes, because friends being interested in ACO) which made me finish ACO before Elex.
--
Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)

Today, 17:01
Oh, I didn't finish any of the survival games. None of them have an end really, though the Forest kinda does.
--
c-computer, r-role, p-playing, g-game, nut-extreme fan
=crpgnut or just
'nut @crpgnut

crpgnut

Grumpy Role Player
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)

Today, 17:07
Originally Posted by joxer View Post
Me too.
Doesn't work every time, so I went to try ACO before finshing Elex (yes, because friends being interested in ACO) which made me finish ACO before Elex.
How was ACO?

NewDArt

SasqWatch

Today, 19:04
Too many interesting games. Better than too little, I suppose.

Fluent

The Town Jeweler
RPGWatch Team

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » Amount of games