Quantcast
For Atheists out there, could "God" exist as an AI from the future? - RPGWatch Forums
|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » For Atheists out there, could "God" exist as an AI from the future?

Default For Atheists out there, could "God" exist as an AI from the future?

Yesterday, 22:43
Quantum physics now says that you could alter sub atomic particles in the past from the future.
http://www.digitaljournal.com/scienc…article/434829

So considering this perhaps an AI has changed the past to prevent an apocalyptic future? We always assume that AI's would become evil in the end, but what if it were the opposite and humanity screwed up and AI's are trying to create and alternate outcome that is beneficial for humans?

Do you think it is possible that an AI from the distant future has changed the past altering sub atomic particles at a mass level?

EDIT: Please dont put this in the P&R section. Unless of course we argue about Atheism or other religions. Which I hope we wont do.

Damian

SasqWatch
Original Sin 2 Donor

Today, 00:11
Two particles can be entangled and, when one changes its state, the other will also do so immediately, even if they are at opposite ends of the universe – seemingly acting faster than the speed of light.

Read more: http://www.digitaljournal.com/scienc…#ixzz4faJnGL7Q
Gave me flashbacks of SAM and Ryder in MEA.

Love this stuff though. Closest thing to magic we can ever get in the real world.
--
Character is centrality, the impossibility of being displaced or overset. - Ralph Waldo Emerson

wolfgrimdark

Keeper of the Watch
Original Sin Donor

+1:

Today, 01:05
Anything is possible but we will never know. That's not to say that the human race will never know (however unlikely) but we as individual will never know so feel free to speculate to ones heart desire; in the end does it matter ?

you

Lazy_dog
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor

+1:

Today, 01:23
Originally Posted by you View Post
Anything is possible but we will never know. That's not to say that the human race will never know (however unlikely) but we as individual will never know so feel free to speculate to ones heart desire; in the end does it matter ?
It is fun to consider though right? Perhaps all those miracles in the old testament really did happen, perhaps Mohammed really did see an angel? Perhaps by competing AI? Like perhaps those GO AI's decided to do that in like 500 years from now? There are more possibilities to consider our past now than ever before.

Damian

SasqWatch
Original Sin 2 Donor

Today, 05:29
I've posed a similar question a few times. I still haven't heard a good answer from the atheists. If the AI singularity is a possibility, then so is the idea of a supreme being.
--

Caddy

Broken Screwdriver
Original Sin Donor

+1:

Today, 05:39
Originally Posted by Caddy View Post
I've posed a similar question a few times. I still haven't heard a good answer from the atheists. If the AI singularity is a possibility, then so is the idea of a supreme being.
I think that perhaps our past is not a knowable as we think it is, what we think is fact many not necessarily be fact even from an atheistic viewpoint now since things like this has been proven. Since what is possible and impossible is not as clear cut as it used to be.

Damian

SasqWatch
Original Sin 2 Donor

Today, 06:42
Originally Posted by Damian View Post
I think that perhaps our past is not a knowable as we think it is, what we think is fact many not necessarily be fact even from an atheistic viewpoint now since things like this has been proven. Since what is possible and impossible is not as clear cut as it used to be.
Interesting conversation I had with a friend the other day. We were talking about meditation and how it's been proven to be beneficial for good health/happiness. Meditation has been something that has been practiced for thousands of years because through trial humans have just found it works. Every religion has their own form of prayer and meditation, but now that were in the age of science and technological progress, we have to question meditation and tag it as mysticism, just because it's associated with religion/spirituality/etc.

I guess I find it fascinating that as humans we need to prove the mechanics of things before we accept them. And the fact that something works, regardless of if understand it or not, is unacceptable these days. I guess faith can have non-religious applications as well.
--

Caddy

Broken Screwdriver
Original Sin Donor

+1:

Today, 07:56
I'm not an atheist (agnostic) - but I'm assuming most atheists deny the concept of a supernatural God - and I don't see why they would deny the possibility of an AI.

NewDArt

Sentinel

+1:

Today, 08:21
Originally Posted by NewDArt View Post
I'm not an atheist (agnostic) - but I'm assuming most atheists deny the concept of a supernatural God - and I don't see why they would deny the possibility of an AI.
I don't see why either, hence why I posed the question.

Damian

SasqWatch
Original Sin 2 Donor

Today, 09:45
I don't see how the possibility of an AI in the future changing things in the past also makes the idea of a supreme being possible. The two are completely unrelated. The AI itself is not a supreme being and it surely didn't create earth.
So yes, the experiments show that something as suggested is possible, but we do not understand it yet and it will take a lot more experiments before we do and could make use of it. None of that however makes me accept the possibility of a supreme being. What we are talking about here, is just science and not faith.
--
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move. Douglas Adams
A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on. Winston Churchill
Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go. Oscar Wilde

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
RPGWatch Team

Today, 09:52
I'm guessing the point is that (in theory) an AI could become so intelligent and powerful that it might end up as indistinguishable from God - especially if we consider that old tired "living in a computer simulation" theory on top.

However, from my point of view - that wouldn't be a supreme being but simply an evolution of a (presumably) human construct.

God, it seems to me, is something that goes beyond our capacity to fathom and is what we might consider supernatural. That is something entirely different from an AI.

But, as an agnostic, I'm open to the idea of God because there's no way to logically exclude it.

NewDArt

Sentinel

Today, 11:02
Originally Posted by Myrthos View Post
I don't see how the possibility of an AI in the future changing things in the past also makes the idea of a supreme being possible. The two are completely unrelated. The AI itself is not a supreme being and it surely didn't create earth.
By saying this you're suggesting that human timeline is the only relevant timeline in the universe/multiverse. You're also suggesting this, your denying that an AI singularity couldn't evolve into a supreme being, which no one can say with certainty. In other words, and AI could have evolved before the human timeline, or even before the big bang, and could have caused it. The universe works according to certain laws, what is the universe if not a large AI itself? If we discount that there is a God, then there certainly is some sort of intelligent design, otherwise how did the first single cell organism come with with a programming language (which has barely changed since the beginning btw) not dissimilar to binary, including error correction code, that mimics our own "intelligent" creation of programming languages today?

That would mean were saying that when evolution created a programming language, it was chance, but when humans created computers and programming languages it was intelligent design?
--

Caddy

Broken Screwdriver
Original Sin Donor

Today, 11:11
Maybe this should be moved to religion area of board?

Hurls

Non-twitch gamer
RPGWatch Donor

RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » For Atheists out there, could "God" exist as an AI from the future?